• Tweets

• I hope Lord Frost is OK. Islamists and the woke Left are uniting to topple the West ARCHIVE.PH archived 18 Apr 2024 19:12:37 UTC  
    • Ok you are in the clear. The PCN does not comply with the Protection of Freedoms Act 2012 Schedule 4 for two reasons. The first is that in Section 9 [2][e]  says the PCN must "state that the creditor does not know both the name of the driver and a current address for service for the driver and invite the keeper— (i)to pay the unpaid parking charges ". It does not say that even though it continues correctly with blurb about the driver. The other fault is that there is no parking period mentioned. Their ANPR cameras do show your arrival and departure times but as that at the very least includes driving from the entrance to the parking space then later leaving the parking space and driving to the exit. It also doesn't allow for finding a parking spot: manoeuvering into it avoiding parking on the lines: possibly having to stop to allow pedestrians/other cars to pass in front of you; returning the trolley after finishing shopping; loading children disabled people in and out of the car, etc etc.  All of that could easily add five, ten or even 15 minutes to your time which the ANPR cameras cannot take into account. So even if it was only two hours free time you could  still have been within the  time since there is a MINIMUM of 15 minutes Grace period when you leave the car park. However as they cannot even manage to get their PCN to comply with the Act you as keeper cannot be pursued. Only the driver is now liable and they do not know who was driving as you have not appealed and perhaps unwittingly given away who was driving. So you do not owe them a penny. No need to appeal. Let them waste their money pursuing you . 
    • If Labour are elected I hope they go after everyone who made huge amounts of money out of this, by loading the company with debt. The sad thing is that some pension schemes, including the universities one, USS, will lose money along with customers.
    • What's the reason for not wanting a smart meter? Personally I'm saving a pile on a tariff only available with one. Today electricity is 17.17p/kWh. If the meter is truly past its certification date the supplier is obliged to replace it. If you refuse to allow this then eventually they'll get warrant and do so by force. Certified life varies between models and generations, some only 10 or 15 years, some older types as long as 40 years or maybe even more. Your meter should have its certified start date marked somewhere so if you doubt the supplier you can look up the certified life and cross check.
    • No I'm not. Even if I was then comments on this forum wouldn't constitute legal advice in the formal sense. Now you've engaged a lawyer directly can I just make couple of final suggestions? Firstly make sure he is fully aware of the facts. And don't mix and match by taking his advice on one aspect while ploughing your own furrow on others.  Let us know how you get on now you have a solicitor acting for you.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
        • Thanks
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

NROck / NRAM Together Mortgages with unsecured loans in excess of £25k

jhill
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2692 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

Like many hundreds of other borrowers with Northern Rock Together Mortgages, we have an unsecured loan for an amount in excess of £25k which we took out prior to 2008.

The unsecured loan paperwork states that it is covered by the CCA although NRAM are now trying to argue that this is not the case

(because the amount exceeds the limit that was covered when we took the loan out).

We, like many others, have complained to NRAM to no avail and now approached the Financial Ombudsmen for help.

However, everyone so far seems to have been fobbed off in a manner which the cynics amongst us would have good reason to believe that, as a government body, the FOS may have been leaned on to try and sweep this issue under the carpet. (There is an easy-to-find thread on MSE)

It seems to me that NRAM and the FOS will have little to argue if borrowers in the same position as ourselves can show either of the following;

1. A Judge declaring that loan executed on regulated paperwork should be treated as being covered by the CCA even if the amount exceeds £25,000 (prior to 2008)

2. Perhaps less so but there does seem to be cases of NRAM taking a borrower with such a loan to a court and using the CCA against the borrower. NRAM clearly can't have it both ways...if they wish to pursue people with loans in excess of £25,000 by citing the CCA then clearly they accept that the loan is covered.

I can see from other threads that the member Petebeds appears to have had a Judge rule that his Northern Rock / NRAM loan over £25k should be treated as if it were covered by the CCA since it was executed on regulated paperwork.

Also, on the same thread Josie8 suggests that she successfully argued something similar or indeed very relevant to all of this.

If this is indeed the case, then the details of those court hearings will prove to be a great asset to those who are so clearly being stiffed by NRAM.

If we can keep this thread to people who know exactly what I'm talking about that would really help everyone in the same boat.

Hopefully then we can post some good clear advice for everyone and get some proper redress for how we've all been mislead, mis-sold, lied to, cast aside and generally treated like badly

Thanks in advance to the site admins who I hope will flag this with the members mentioned above and anyone else who they think may have some constructive input.

JHill

S.O.S sent to both members mentioned.

I will also have a scout round and see if I can find any more for you.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

• 2 weeks later...

I would have thought that josie8 and peterbeds would have responded by now. It is possible they have changed their email addresses and are not receiving notifications. I am at a loss as to what you can do.

I must admit, I don't quite understand the concept of a Together Mortgage, I would have thought that if it is a proper mortgage then you would be able to approach them for some forbearance. If they are full repayment, will they switch to interest for a while - or perhaps they can extend the term of the mortgage !

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

BCOBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

• 1 month later...

I did try contacting Petebeds, sadly there was no response :(

BCOBS

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I have just come across this website and thread and I'm amazed at how many people are in a similar situation as me.

In 2006, my wife and I bought our first house. It needed a lot of work doing to it, so we borrowed £158'000 (130'000 mortgage & 28'000 loan) from Northern Rock. I have been on the SVR for the past 4 years, unable to switch mortgages due to the LTV and hike in interest rate if you split the mortgage and loan.

I feel we have all been mis sold this product and I hope that all your hard work and time pays off and justice prevails. Please keep updating the thread if anyone has any success.

Thank you.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Citizen B,

I have been out of action for a few months but I notice that Smarter_now may have some interesting news from his last post on this thread...trouble is I dont seem to be able to message him or you...has something about the site changed?

You should be able to message me.. I will check your account to see if we have the gremlins in again !

Cant see anything.. I will ask the techies for you. Meanwhile, I will just do a test private message to you.. see if you can respond to it.

BCOBS

You should be ok to private message me now :)

BCOBS

• 1 month later...

Hi All,

Has anyone got any updates on this situation as I'm currently in the process of putting a reply together to FOS after my initial complaint regarding my 25K plus loan with Northern Rock was not upheld.

I've been reading so much information about all this that I don't know where to turn next and was wondering if anyone had any new news?

• 2 weeks later...

I dont know what exactly you want to know, but the article on MSE linked below might be of interest.

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/loans/2012/12/northern-rock-pays-270-m-to-150000-after-gaffe

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-20679511

BCOBS

Thanks for the links, but they are both over a year old? I want to know if any over 25K Together prisoners have challenged in court and won in regard to the CCA non-compliance issue.

Thanks for the links, but they are both over a year old? I want to know if any over 25K Together prisoners have challenged in court and won in regard to the CCA non-compliance issue.

Ah righto.

I dont recall seeing anyone having any success.. will keep an eye open for you.

BCOBS

• 8 months later...

On the 17th of November "Declaratory Proceedings" take place in the High Court with regards to this whole debacle.

I am not a lawyer and so this is purely my opion and take on the matter and should not be considered a statement of fact.

NRAM are essentially taking themselves to court to get a ruling on precisely where they stand from a legal point of view.

But here's what I consider to be the dark side of things...The defendents in the case appear to be employees of NRAM! The Prosecters are NRAM whilst one of the defendent (according to their LinkedIn profile) is "Head of Unsecured Debt Recovery".

How on earth are the voices of thousands of mis-sold NRAM customers liekly to be voiced in such a court? This is an absolute sham!

Are there any moderators that can help bring this to greater light and get some heat on this case?

I am having to pay £50 to the high court to get the details of the Judge etc and so will update in the comings days. High Court don't except cards you have to pay cash or cheque...leaving me to call in favours from relatives to physcially go to the High Court in London so I can get this info.

I don't want to sound dramatical but to me this appears to be some really dark, cover-up. Does anyone have any useful input? Anyway of finding out for sure if this is something CAG will look to bring to the fore?

Thanks in advance for any help!

You have answered my question :)

BCOBS

Do you know if there is a Facebook group or is this being tweeted ?

BCOBS

No, I think the action group on facebook gave up...Not surprising really, it has been almost 2 years since George Osbourne told the house of commons that there were issues (which anyone with a loan under £25k was compensated for)

Don't they list judges and the cases they are hearing, somewhere ?

BCOBS

I don't know to be hoenst. I am applying to get the info through the High Court at a cost of £50 although they dont except payemtn over the phone! Having to get a relative to turn up in person, pay the £50 and then hopefully get the info before the case starts.

You can go to court to seek a declaration in some situations. This is commonly used where someone holds a pot of money which could be claimed by a number of different people and wants to know what to do with it. For example, a solicitor who is holding a large amount of money after a sale of a house, but two individuals both claimed they in fact owned the house, might go to court for direction as to how to deal with the money. Do you know what declaration NRAM are actually asking the judge to make?

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS