Patricia Pearl - Small Claims Procedure - A Practical Guide

An excellent guide for the layperson in how to use the County Court - a must if you are intending to start a claim.

£19.99 + £1.50 (P&P)

+ Reply to Thread
    Basic Account Holder fedupandold Novitiate

Follow Real_CAG on Twitter

Cagger since
    Jun 2013

Default Are you too old at 64 to work?

Hello. Just an idea of mine. I became interested in the Jobmatch scheme for JSA claimants. so I had a look at what I would be matched to if I was claiming that benefit. Zilch!! So I broadened my search from the South to England in general and found a job that I was doing 46 years ago paying NMW. It is approx 230 miles away. Would I be expected to apply for that job?

Onto something a little more serious and a step further on. I receive ESA Support Group and am aged 64, 65 in 2 months. More out of interesticon than anything else to see what is actually going on with younger ESA claimants, can I be signposted to the Work Provider and the WFI's? You hear so much about these schemes and how people are treated I thought I would just like to see for myself first hand.

Site Team antone Authoritative antone Authoritative antone Authoritative antone Authoritative antone Authoritative antone Authoritative antone Authoritative antone Authoritative antone Authoritative antone Authoritative antone Authoritative antone's Avatar

Cagger since
    May 2009
    I am in
    Linlithgow

Default Re: Are you too old at 64 to work?

1) In your first example, no, you would not be expected to apply for an NMW job 230 miles away. The furthest a jobseeker is expected to travel is 90 minutes by their normal method (car if they have one, available public transport otherwise). You're not expected to fly, which would be the only way to travel 230 miles in 90 minutes.

2) You're in the ESA Support Group, so you can volunteer for the WP if you wish. Be warned, though, that once you volunteer you can be mandated to undertake certain activities on threat of sanction of your benefits. I do not advise you to volunteer for the WP out of curiosity.

The initial mystery that attends any journey is: how did the traveller reach his starting point in the first place?
    ---Louise Bogan, Journey Around my Room

I can't give advice by PM - please post on the forums. I do advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer or Welfare Rights Adviser. If you wish to check my advice against other independent sources, please do.

CAG exists because of your support, so if you feel able to help out by donating it would be welcome, but rest assured that our advice and support is free.

"The idea that the poor should have leisure has always been shocking to the rich"
    --Bertrand Russell

Follows
    Following

Basic Account Holder fedupandold Novitiate

Cagger since
    Jun 2013

Quote Originally Posted by antone View Post
    1) In your first example, no, you would not be expected to apply for an NMW job 230 miles away. The furthest a jobseeker is expected to travel is 90 minutes by their normal method (car if they have one, available public transport otherwise). You're not expected to fly, which would be the only way to travel 230 miles in 90 minutes.

2) You're in the ESA Support Group, so you can volunteer for the WP if you wish. Be warned, though, that once you volunteer you can be mandated to undertake certain activities on threat of sanction of your benefits. I do not advise you to volunteer for the WP out of curiosity.
    Thanks for taking the time out to answer those two questions. I'm so pleased that if I was claiming JSA, I wouldn't be expected to commute 460 miles a day to earn approx 50 a day!! To be honest even a 90 minute each (approx 200 miles round trip) way journey by car would see me either heading up through North London towards the M1 or on my way to Lille in France, neither would be covered by the same 50!!

I can volunteer?? Wow. For devilment I would seriously think about doing that. Goodness knows how they would cope with my many inabilities and being permanently under the influence of quite large doses of Morphine. I suppose that they would draw the line at a 65 year old anyhow. Even if they did sanction me, Pension credit would come to my rescue with an uplift in payment to compensate. I'll take your advice I suppose and put my time and effort instead into getting round to starting my new 5000 piece jigsaw!

Basic Account Holder dillm Novitiate

Cagger since
    May 2010

Your comments are interesting Would pension credit make up for any sanctions or would they apply a sanction do you have seek work when on pension credit

Follows
    Following

Platinum Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Make a donation
    Nystagmite Highly informative Nystagmite Highly informative Nystagmite Highly informative Nystagmite Highly informative Nystagmite Highly informative Nystagmite Highly informative Nystagmite Highly informative

Cagger since
    Feb 2011

You don't have to seek work whilst on pension credit.

Viewing CAG on a small screen? Switch to the mobile version of the site

Reclaim the Right Ltd. - reg.05783665 in the UK reg. office:- 923 Finchley Road London NW11 7PE