• Tweets

• Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Ifonic Claims Ltd Swansea - 86yrs old apparently £990 out of pocket!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3901 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I really need some advice on how to deal with this bunch of clowns, Ifonic Claims Ltd in Swansea.

On Wednesday 10th April 2013 my father in law received and unsolicited telephone call from Ifonic Claims.

A few days later a set of documents arrived, dated 11th April 2013.

Once I had looked at these forms I then realised that my 86 year old father in law had been a victim of what I deem to be Advance Fee Fraud.

My father in law has never had a credit card or loan with Tesco or Marks & Spencer.

Neither has he an active mortgage with RBS (Royal Bank of Scotland) or anyone other financial institution.

Finally, the shock of seeing a £990 debit from his account (taken by Debit Card) when he has neither agreed or has any need to use their services is beyond belief.

The documents contain the following:

Welcome letter & T's&C's

x2 - Letter of Engagement - Allowing Ifonics to deal with this claim, which is unsigned

Client Information - Containing very basic details about my father in law (address, telephone number etc)

x11 - Letter of Authority - Giving authority for Ifonics to act & reclaim PPI on my father in laws behalf, also unsigned

x11 - PPI Questionnaire

No documentation has been signed and returned, fortunately I got wind of this before it went further.

Nor has my father in law signed anything previously.

However, I assume that he has given them his Debit Card number for the £990 transaction to be taken

and whilst I didn't listen to the actual conversation, one can only assume that he was duped into giving it.

Furthermore, my mother in law has tried without fail to deal with this as my father in law is 86 years old, deaf & suffers from dementia.

Every time she tries to contact them to deal with this, she is rebuffed.

Also, the staff have been very cheeky with her, which has caused her distress which she doesn't need at her age.

I have tried to contact the company directly and have been stonewalled, especially as I have no authority from my in laws to deal with this.

I've been threatened by a company director with a defamation writ.

I have in the meantime contacted and filed a report with Action Fraud & also submitted a complaint with the Claims Management Regulator, which governs this set of parasites.

Furthermore looking into the Ministry of Justices own guidelines for companies like these

and it seems Ifonic Claims have broken their guidelines that companies should not charge an advance fee for services.

Ifonic Claims is also trading name of Cerys-Angharad Limited both based in Swansea.

Thanks in advance.

(Apologies if this is posted in the incorrect forum. As Ifonics mainly deal with PPI, I thought it best to start a thread here)

Edited by ims21

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Hi dx100uk thanks for your reply.

As far as I'm aware my mother in law has already gone down this route, as she had called her local branch (RBS) and their Fraud team are looking into it.

Unfortunately though, the lady who has been dealing with my mother in law is away on annual leave so this is dragging it's heals a little bit

and still causing some upset & distress to both my in laws.

Other than what I personally have already done, is there anything else that really needs to be done.

Is this a case of Advance Fee Fraud (open to opinion)?

How likely is it that the in laws will get their cash back?

I note from their T's&C's:

(1) Anyone, after signing up for our service, may cancel that service at any time.

(2) If a customer cancels within 14 days of signing the agreement, he will receive a full refund, regardless of whatever work we have carried out.

(3) If a customer cancels after the 14 days, we are entitled to charge for work carried out.

(4) We are required to make any refund as soon as practicable and in any case within 30 days. Our average is around 14 days.

(5) We are regulated by the Ministry of Justice under registration number CRM24389; we are regularly inspected and the MoJ is aware of and has approved our terms of business.

urm..

don't like what I am hearing here

chargeback should be immediate, they should investigate AFTERWARDS

few bank staff know the power of chargeback!

MOJ though is your people to complain too though as to what they have done

very very outrageous!

dx

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

I am Cliff Stanford, managing director of Cerys-Angharad Limited which trades as Ifonic Claims. I'd like to take a moment to clarify this situation for the other members of this forum.

Yesterday, a gentleman under the pseudonym of [EDIT] began posting untruths and defamatory comments about our company, both on social media and via open email. Attempts to discuss the situation with Mr [EDIT] directly led to further public postings with derisive comments and threats.

I think it may be useful to make the following comments:

• We are a regulated claims management company with a good relationship with the MoJ. All calls are monitored and recorded. If a complaint had been made, either to us or the MoJ, the call would have immediately been checked to ensure that no undue pressure was applied. If the call was not correctly handled, the agent in question would no longer have a job. We take our reputation very seriously.
  • Any customer can cancel an order within 14 days of signing the contract, without having to discuss, argue or even give a reason. These cancellations are always honoured by our company.
  • Our customer services team is run from our Swansea office and they would never make fun of a customer.
  • When your Mother-in-Law phoned, she was asked for further information about the transaction. She would never have been treated with derision.
  • It seems unlikely that any UK bank would refuse a charge-back because a staff member was on holiday. Royal Bank of Scotland is currently the second most-complained about company for PPI mis-selling. I am sure they would be more than happy to put the charge-back through immediately if they had been contacted.

Edited by ims21
Advertising puff removed

http://www.justice.gov.uk/downloads/claims-regulation/up-front-fee-rule-breach-sheet.pdf

According to this document, firms are not permitted to take up front fees, until the pre contract information has been provided .. in writing..

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

@ Cliff Stanford

We removed your advertising puff and contact numbers.

We will not carry that information here although we have left your reply to the issue untouched.

We removed your advertising puff and contact numbers.

Fair enough, though that's not what I was attempting to say. The unpuffed version of what you are deleting is:

We attempt always to offer professional service.

Is that acceptable?

Edited by ims21

I prefere to believe the customer here

something smells we are not party too.

why if its a true case

why did they not just give the money back

I think we need to see some scans of the posted docs to see if its all true.

doesn't seem to the only case of £990 being spoofed from people either

on mse too

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4395697

dx

and they

something smells we are not party to.

Why did they not just give the money back?

I think we need to see some scans of the posted docs to see if its all true.

doesn't seem to the only case of £990 being spoofed from people either

I cannot post the documents on a public forum for obvious reasons. If a customer asks for their money back, we give their money back, as required by MoJ rules.

on mse too

MSE have removed my response and banned my account. Well done CAG for its openness.

why should they have to ask for their moneyback in the first place

you should NOT be taking upfront fees nor taking money until you GET the reclaim completed and settled.

dx

and they

According to this document, firms are not permitted to take up front fees, until the pre contract information has been provided .. in writing..

This is correct. Professional claims management firms (such as Ifonic Claims) will not charge a credit card until the contract has been provided in writing.

it appears your [Professional claims management - cough] company does this when they post them....

should not the contract be SIGNED AND RETURNED FIRST, before you bill people.....

dx

and they

should not the contract be SIGNED AND RETURNED FIRST, before you bill people.....

Not currently, no.

It has been announced that this will be brought in later this year by the MoJ and we welcome the change. We do need a level playing field though.

Cliff.

Not currently, no.

It has been announced that this will be brought in later this year by the MoJ and we welcome the change. We do need a level playing field though.

Cliff.

I never understand that statement "we welcome the change". We hear it from all sorts. If you are legitimate and trustworthy and helpful as you say, why do you have to wait for legislation to change the way you are working. You can make change with it having to be legislated. It is only legislated because it is wrong.

• Confused 1

Cliff, are you going to follow me from Facebook to various other forums to try

and put a spin on the actual fact that you have spoofed money from an elderly & vulnerable person?

I am more than happy to post scans of all the documentation that this so called professional claims management company has sent.

I will scan them using my Android mobile & upload/attach them here.

I will be careful to blank out sensitive information. I have nothing to hide unlike Cliff.

I would also respectfully ask the admin of this board to remove my name [EDIT] from the above post by Cliff.

Also Cliff, the fact that you claim I have made defamatory comments about you & your company are completely untrue.

The emails I have posted and the comments I have made on social media are just echoing comments

made by other people that have had the pleasure of dealing with your sham of a company.

Also, given your background & criminal record, it doesn't surprise me that you thrive off preying on the elderly & vulnerable.

Now you're trying to come across as nice as pie to other members of this forum and other forums.

If you want to come across as nice as pie then simply honour the request to have the money refunded without delay.

Also, change your companies practice by not charging an Advance Fee.

I have tried to reason with you both via email & social media and you have ignored my attempts to settle this as quickly & amicably as possible.

Trying to follow me from forum to forum to spout, what I deem are lies and make me out to be a bad guy, is just not cricket.

I have contacted Action Fraud and I am more than happy to let them deal with this.

However, to save you hassle Cliff, I contacted you, as stated above, to try and settle this without the need for police getting involved

and without the need for a service of writ being sent to my in laws address, thus putting them under more strain

& worry that they have already been put through by the dealings with your company.

Finally Cliff, I'd love to know exactly how I have threatened you?

Not once during our chats via email or Facebook have I made a direct threat to you.

Your comment above is just untrue.

Edited by CerberusSco

I never understand that statement "we welcome the change". We hear it from all sorts. If you are legitimate and trustworthy and helpful as you say, why do you have to wait for legislation to change the way you are working. You can make change with it having to be legislated. It is only legislated because it is wrong.

We are in a highly regulated, highly competitive market. We are in business for two primary purposes: to provide a valuable service to our customers and to make money. As a side-effect, we also provide work for some 80 people in South West Wales.

Being a highly competitive business, we need to be tied by the same rules as our competitors. We have seen a number of claims management companies go bust recently because they tried to rely exclusively on the success fee. The cash-flow for this model just doesn't make sense.

That's what I meant by a level playing field. If, for example, the MoJ ruled that verification fees were illegal we would have to take a view on whether to stay in business. If claims management companies were closed down, it wouldn't be the customers cheering, it would be the banks.

we are in a highly competitive market...

so its ok to spoof people out of money because you think all the other CMC's are doing it?

so until you are TOLD not to diddle people, you are going to continue to do it..

once you have sent the unsigned contract in the post - you will immediately

charge an upfront advance fee of £990 even if the customer DOES NOT SIGN AND RETURN your 'contract'

disgusting!!

dx

and they

so its ok to spoof people out of money because you think all the other CMC's are doing it?

so until you are TOLD not to diddle people, you are going to continue to do it..

once you have sent the unsigned contract in the post - you will immediately

charge an upfront advance fee of £990 even if the customer DOES NOT SIGN AND RETURN your 'contract'

disgusting!!

You are entitled to your opinion that our business practice is disgusting. However we have never "spoofed" or "diddled" anyone and I will continue to refute such allegations.

Frankly, I find the practices of the banks disgusting: they have systematically overcharged for a useless insurance; they have fiddled interest rates; they do everything they can to defend the indefensible. If the banks didn't "diddle" the customers, claims companies would not be in business. With whom are you more disgusted?

We are in a highly regulated, highly competitive market. We are in business for two primary purposes: to provide a valuable service to our customers and to make money. As a side-effect, we also provide work for some 80 people in South West Wales.

But not in that order. The first goal of business, any business, is to make money

Being a highly competitive business, we need to be tied by the same rules as our competitors. We have seen a number of claims management companies go bust recently because they tried to rely exclusively on the success fee. The cash-flow for this model just doesn't make sense.

No, you don't have to be tied to the same rules as the competition. Business is all about beating the competition, not following in their footsteps. You use flair and regular meeting to come up with ideas your competitiors haven't thought of. Don't you think customers would be more likely to come to you if in prominent text it said "We do not charge any upfront fees" on the front page of your site.

That's what I meant by a level playing field. If, for example, the MoJ ruled that verification fees were illegal we would have to take a view on whether to stay in business. If claims management companies were closed down, it wouldn't be the customers cheering, it would be the banks.

You should be thinking now about how you will survive when this period of austerity ends and all the ppi has been reclaimed. No doubt there will be another bandwagon for a million startup companies to jump on when that time comes.

A lot of companies go bust because they are not enterprising enough, and to reiterate, if a law has to be made to stop something, then that something must have been wrong

CerberusSc, your name was removed from Mr Stanford's post as soon as it was spotted. His name of course is a matter of record. However, posting your name on a public forum, was very unprofessional of him, and I wonder if it might be of interest to the Information Commissioner, as a breach of the Data Protection Act. You may wish to consider that route :)
  • Confused 1

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

BCOBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

All of your documents are unavailable for viewing. You should follow the instructions below in order to make them visible. From the file sizes displayed in the titles, they would be too small anyway.

Dx100 – Instructions on uploading pdfs

scan the requiredletters/agreements/sheets

as a picture file

remove all pers info inc barcodes etc using paint

but leave all figures and dates.

goto one of the many free online pdf converter websites

convert the image to pdf format.

or ir you have PDF as an installed printer drive use that

open a new msg box here

hit go advanced below the msg box

hit manage attachments below that box

hit the add files button on the top right

hit select files, navigate to your file on your pc

hit upload files

NB:you can set where it goes in the post by hitting insert inline.

the hit reply button

BCOBS