Insurance Claim-v-Supermarket

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3916 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello all,

A relative of mine works for a supermarket chain and whilst she was serving a customer, an accomplice reached across her work station and stole her spectacles which were in a specs case.

This came to light, when she realised they had been stolen and they were viewing the CCTV images, which clearly show the image of the thief and the fact that he reached across the work station and took them from the case, leaving the empty case behind.

The Police were informed and attended to view the archived image. The Police have been absolutely brilliant with follow up procedures and keeping her informed, with three letters received since the theft which was only 10 days ago.

On the other hand, the/her employer have been absolutely diabolical, with no interest and an attitude of no information as to claiming on their insurance or other funds, this is up to store General Manager status, they really have been pathetically remiss.

Surely she must be able to claim from them/ins.co for the replacement of her specs which cost in the region of £130.

All information/ advice will be as usual gratefully received.

"EXEMPLO DUCEMUS"

They obviously don't value her as an employee, as most in this situation would go into their petty cash or other source to fund her a new pair of glasses. There is no point claiming on her own Home Insurance, due to the excess and likely increases in premium. The Supermarket should just put their hand in their pockets to pay for them. She should speak to the store manager and ask for the glasses to be replaced. The Supermarket won't have an Insurance that they could claim on for such small amounts.

If the store manager is not helpful, then she should ask for the regional managers details, so she can contact them directly.

PS. I am guessing that the Supermarket is one of the biggest and starts with a 'T'.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

unclebulgaria67,

Thank you for your reply, you are correct and I agree with you, re they do not give an Iota as to the value of their employees.

We have gone further up the Ladder to the Legal people and they say, it should be sorted at Store level but we have already approached them and they are absolutely atrocious with their Lack of information, they are pathetic.

The company concerned is not who you think, but it does begin with an A and ends in a A and is predominately green in colour.

I will be sending a letter further up the chain and see what kind of avalanche it creates.

"EXEMPLO DUCEMUS"

Escalate it to the regional ( not area ) manager. Area managers are usually on the store managers side. Regional dont take sides.

ALso, it MUST be your relative that does the communication. It wont look good at all having a third party discussing matters if the relative didnt try and get things sorted first.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

I work in IT for one of the big 4 supermarkets, so i regularly have to deal with area and regional managers. Area managers are usually a waste of time.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

• 1 month later...

Hello all,

Have received a response from Asda local management, not from the Regional manager, to whom we sent a letter by RM signed for delivery and it was duly delivered and signed for.

The regional manager did not even have the common courtesy to respond to us or acknowledge the letter.It was relayed to my relation via a 1 minute passing conversation, that as had been previously discussed that they Asda, were not prepared to issue any Financial help in relation to the stolen spectacles.

We have since found out, via the local employees grapevine, that a precident has already been set, with Asda financing several previously stolen, or damaged employees articles.

I think that they are being extremely mean and obstructive and are behaving disgracefully towards an employee,. of many years distinguished service and who has had many excellent customer feedbacks to the local management and further.

We really need and want to bring some justice from this "miserly" company who apparently do not want, or know how to look after their employees welfare.

All further advice/information will be as usual gratefully received.

"EXEMPLO DUCEMUS"

Get a letter direct to the CEO. Tell them that you WILL be taking it to the press and also consider legal action.

Before your friend goes outside of ASDA e.g press or courts, I think they should contact their HR dept at Head Office about this to register a formal complaint. ASDA will have formal procedures to deal with this type of thing, where the local managers are not being fair.

Better to deal with this internally, rather than get to a point where ASDA find a way to dismiss your relative for some issue and they then have difficulty gaining other employment.

If you relative is a member of a Union they should be able to help.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

A complaint to the CEO is enough for it to be considered formal. The problem with asda is that they NEVER admit liability for ANYTHING. They use the old "gesture of goodwill" abusively.

Thank you all for the excellent advice. I will keep you updated, as and when any further correspondence etc is received.

"EXEMPLO DUCEMUS"

Get a letter direct to the CEO. Tell them that you WILL be taking it to the press and also consider legal action.

That's a bit OTT. Why would you potentially ruin your relationship with your own employer by going to the press (if they'd actually deem it newsworthy) or suing them over a pair of glasses?

Also, what would you sue them under? The shop wasn't at fault and it can be argued the OP should have taken more care of her personal belongings.

Ganymede,

Thank you for your contribution, your comments are duly noted.

It appears to us that the employer/employee relationship, has already been put in jeopardy by the employer, due to their lack of empathy/care for their hard working loyal employee, who's property was stolen, from a place where no customer should have entered and bearing in mind, they have already dealt with other claims from employees in a much more favourable manner. The grievance procedure seems to be looming ahead.

"EXEMPLO DUCEMUS"

• 3 weeks later...

Hello All,

To date no official letter or even "acknowledgement" from CEO has been received, apparently it was merely redirected back to the Local Management to deal with. Subsequently local management have decided that NO assistance will be given to replace the stolen spectacles.

Now probably looking to escalate to an Official Formal grievance procedure, even though it has already been to CEOs office.

I really think they do not give a hoot about their staff welfare.

All comments will be gratefully received.

"EXEMPLO DUCEMUS"

Good Evening All,

Anyone had similar problems, with nil co-operation/lack of care or communication from their employers such as A**A.

They have treat my wife absolutely shoddily.What a shower!!

It is a great pity, they do not understand the meaning of the words of my my signature.

"EXEMPLO DUCEMUS"

"BY EXAMPLE WE LEAD"