• Tweets

• Paragraph 18 – you are still talking about Boston stolen items. About time this was fixed??? Paragraph 19  In any event, the claimant's PS5 gaming device was correctly declared and correctly valued. The defendant accepted it for carriage and was even prepared to earn extra money by selling sell insurance in case of its loss or damage. New paragraph 20 – this the defendant routinely sells insurance in respect of "no compensation" items (a secondary contract contrary to section 72 CRA 2015) new paragraph above paragraph 20 – the defendant purports to limit its liability in respect of lost or damaged items. This is contrary to section 57 of the consumer rights act 2015. The defendant offers to extend their liability if their customer purchases an insurance cover for an extra sum of money. This insurance is a secondary contract calculated to exclude or limit their liability for the defendants contractual breaches and is contrary to section 72 of the consumer rights act 2015. New paragraph below paragraph 42 – the defendant merely relies on "standard industry practice" You haven't pointed to the place in your bundle of the Telegraph newspaper extract. You have to jiggle the paragraphs around. Even though I have suggested new paragraph numbers, the order I have suggested is on your existing version 5. You will have to work it out for your next version. Good luck!   Let's see version 6 Separately, would you be kind enough to send me an unredacted to me at our admin email address.
    • UK travellers have been turned away at airports because their passports are not valid for EU travel.View the full article
    • i think theres been MORE than amble evidence of that and am astonished that criminal proceedings haven't begun.
    • Yep, those 'requirements' not met to shareholders satisfaction seem to me to be: 1. Not being allowed to increase customer bills by 40% (of which well over 50% of the new total would NOT be investment) 2. 1 plus regulators not agreeing to letting them do 'things in their own time (ie carry on regardless)
    • As already mentioned freely available "credit scores" are fairly useless. All lenders have their own "credit scoring" system, that for obvious reasons they don't divulge. And they're "scored" differently to the freely available ones. As soon as they could, we've always encouraged our two children to use credit cards responsibly... Pay off in full, etc, to generate good history. It's paid off. At quite young ages, they have both obtained loans for cars, mortgage and their credit card limits are through the roof. Personally, I have shifted debt around a lot on credit cards (even financed a house purchase once at 0% 😉) and I've only ever been refused a credit card once, sorry twice by the same company, over many years. They must have something very different in their lending criteria. You're a tight one, Mr Branson.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Parking without permit....7 months on!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3843 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Last September whilst visiting my daughter in Edinburgh, I parked without displaying a permit (not knowingly..I had placed it on the dashboard and assumed, as it was very windy that night when I parked and dark, it blew out of the car without me noticing).

Anyway, at 7 o'clock on a Sunday morning a parking ticket was put on the windscreen asking for £70. I hadn't paid this and had no further correspondence about it until 2 days ago when I received a letter from a recovery agency, now wanting £140! The day after the letter arrived this was followed by a phone call from same recovery firm. My husband is the named keeper and he thinks I should pay it. What do you think...I am mystified why it would take them 7 months to follow this through .

Should I not have had letters from the parking people themselves before involving a 3rd party?

I would welcome any advice from those who know better than me. Thanks.

Edited by Mousiemouth
typos, inaccurate in places

Mouse over the word ignore and follow the advice given. I'm not sure about scotland, but In England and wales, it would be VERY stupid for a parking company to send it to a DCA and claim it is a legitimate debt.

• Confused 1

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

the law in Scotland makes it even harder for the parking company to try and enforce its contract and they should know that. There is also no law of trespass in scotland so they cant claim for damages by trespass either. How did they get your telephone number- If you are listed in the phone book then that would explain but if it isnt they have breached the Data Protection Act.

Write to the DCA and tell them that the debt is denied and any further phone calls or demands from them will be treated as harassment and will result in both civil and criminal procedures against them.

• Confused 1

the law in Scotland makes it even harder for the parking company to try and enforce its contract and they should know that. There is also no law of trespass in scotland so they cant claim for damages by trespass either. How did they get your telephone number- If you are listed in the phone book then that would explain but if it isnt they have breached the Data Protection Act.

Write to the DCA and tell them that the debt is denied and any further phone calls or demands from them will be treated as harassment and will result in both civil and criminal procedures against them.

I don't know where they've got my phone number from as I'm not listed in the phone book. The letter I have is from TNC Parking Services, acting on behalf of their client, P4 Parking. I think they are a debt collection agency with a 'parking services' division. The wording on the letter says '...their client P4 has instructed them to make recovery'.

I read that a NTK has to be issued not later than 56 days after the NTD, since 7 months has elapsed since the NTD, and this is the first letter received, does that make their demands nul and void? Thanks to all for your advice.

Edited by Mousiemouth

Ignore them.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

The fact that it relates to parking charge from a private company, you can either ignore or challenge the legitimacy of the claim in writing. You are under no obligation whatsoever to engage with debt collectors and they can do nothing other than make boring noises.

Can you remember precisely where in Edinburgh you received this charge and I will look further into it.

Furthermore there is no obligation in Scotland to name the driver. Therefore he could argue harassment with whoever appointed the parking agent.

The fact that it relates to parking charge from a private company, you can either ignore or challenge the legitimacy of the claim in writing. You are under no obligation whatsoever to engage with debt collectors and they can do nothing other than make boring noises.

Can you remember precisely where in Edinburgh you received this charge and I will look further into it.

Furthermore there is no obligation in Scotland to name the driver. Therefore he could argue harassment with whoever appointed the parking agent.

Thanks for that Crocdoc. I was parked at Springfield st, Eh 6 if that helps. Do you know if I am right about the timespan in sending a NTK?

Edited by Mousiemouth

totally ignore them in Scotland

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Thanks for that Crocdoc. I was parked at Springfield st, Eh 6 if that helps. Do you know if I am right about the timespan in sending a NTK?

The timespan is only set by the British parking Association who are of no importance as they are merely a represenative body of the private parking operators.

Both of these comanies you mention are Members of the BPA, the address provided in Dalry /Gorgie is as far as I can see managed by P4. TNC as you rightly state are merely debt collectors and have no legal status of any description, furthermore you are under no obligation whatsoever to engage with them. The only problem you may have is repeated phone calls, however you can always let them listen to Jeremy Kyle on the telly which in itself should drive them mad in a reasonably short period of time.

You have two opitions, simply ignore as DX states.

Alternatively you could write and deny all liablity, then of course you could argue harrasment if the collection calls persist.

Many people in Scotland have tried and failed to get these companies into court. As it stands there is nothing they can do apart from make threatening noises.

I hope this information is of assistance.

• 3 months later...
Thank you for that, another call today so a letter is on the way making all the points shared here.

Hello there,

Got done in exactly the same place and got the £140 demand letter from TNC. How did you get on with them? Did you get off with paying after you sent the letter? Our employees both never seen any signs.

Hopefully hear from you soon

Hi mak. WHat country do you live in? There is different advice for you depending whether you live in scotland or england.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm having the same sort of problem.

I was parked in Edinburgh on private land but on the road,

not in a bay or on any lines and I wasn't causing an obstruction.

I'm guessing I got the ticket though as it's still their land.

I received the parking ticket from p4 parking which I ignored as advised.

5 months later I got a letter from TNC parking services demanding that I pay £140.00 or challenge the matter within 14 days.

I wrote to them explaining that I was on the road, but received another letter before my 14 days were up demanding I pay within 28 days

or they'd pass this matter over to their litigation department.

Some people say to just ignore it but they know I was the driver so does that make it easier for them to take me to court?

Also will the charge go up before I receive a court letter.

I'm not sure about the Scottish law when it comes to this so any advice would be great!!

as post 10

now ignore them

willy waving

dx

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Still get calls from TNC but not as regular. Follow the advice offered on here, it's sound and sensible. Whereabouts were you parked (don't say exact street). How would they know it was you that was driving....?

The advice on here has been great!

but I stupidly sent them a letter explaining that I was parked on the road in the Leith area

but not in a bay or on lines so they can assume now that I was the driver.

I got another letter today saying final demand for payment and that I have 14 days to pay

( my 28 days from the last letter isn't even up yet)

They said they'd recommend their clients to take legal action and legal action will be taken.

I'm just worried now that because I sent them that letter, it will now be easier for them to take action.

Thanks for your help!

matters not what you sent

dx

and they

As stated, the law in Scotland is defferent to that in England and Wales so you will not be taken to court because the parking companies are not THAT stupid so they rely on bullying and fibbing to get you to pay up. Again, telling them you were the driver makes no odds as the Protection of Freedoms Act doesnt apply in Scotland either.