• Tweets

• The move marks the first time the country's central bank has raised interest rates for 17 years.View the full article
    • The move marks the first time the country's central bank has raised interest rates for 17 years.View the full article
    • The firm has benefited from the AI boom, making it the third-most valuable company in the US.View the full article
    • Former billionaire Hui Ka Yan has been fined and banned from the financial market for life.View the full article
    • In terms of "why didn't I make a claim" - well, that has to be understood in the context of the long-standing legal battle and all its permuations with the shark. In essence there was a repo and probable fire sale of the leasehold property - which would have led to me initiating the complaint/ claim v SPF in summer 19. But there was no quick sale. And battle commenced and it ain't done yet 5y later. A potential sale morphed into trying to do a debt deal and then into a full blown battle heading to trial - based on the shark deliberately racking up costs just so the ceo can keep the property for himself.  Along the way they have launched claims in 4 different counties -v- me - trying to get a backdoor B. (Haven't yet succeeded) Simultaneously I got dragged into a contentious forfeiture claim and then into a lease extension debacle - both of which lasted 3y. (I have an association with the freeholders and handled all that legal stuff too) I had some (friend paid for) legal support to begin with.  But mostly I have handled every thing alone.  The sheer weight of all the different cases has been pretty overwhelming. And tedious.  I'm battling an aggressive financial shark that has investors giving them 00s of millions. They've employed teams of expensive lawyers and barristers. And also got juniors doing the boring menial tasks. And, of course, in text book style they've delayed issues on purpose and then sent 000's of docs to read at the 11th hour. Which I not only boringly did read,  but also simultaneously filed for ease of reference later - which has come in very handy in speeding up collating legal bundles and being able to find evidence quickly.  It's also how I found out the damning stuff I could use -v- them.  Bottom line - I haven't really had a moment to breath for 5y. I've had to write a statement recently. And asked a clinic for advice. One of the volunteers asked how I got into this situation.  Which prompted me to say it all started when I got bad advice from a broker. Which kick-started me in to thinking I really should look into making some kind of formal complaint -v- the broker.  Which is where I am now.  Extenuating circumstances as to why I'm complaining so late.  But hopefully still in time ??  
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3984 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

hi guys,

i have huge council tax arrears over many years amounting to about £2000.

i was miffed when a couple of months ago I got a breakdown which had adjustments made to the bill (taking into account the previous years) and that brought down the balance to a couple of hundred of pounds due to 'adjustments'..

i and others in the property have council tax benefit and for this year.

i queried this at the time on the phone and i was repeatedly told by council tax staff that the balanace quoted was how much i owed and one even told me that an amount was written off.

now,

i got a summons for court recently.

i didn't quite understand this as whatever money i've had,

i tried to pay my council tax with; my benefits already get discounted by £3.30 a week.

i called about this and the person i spoke to said that i didn't have to attend but that i'll be charged for the court costs.

i tried to explain that i didn't think that was fair given how i'm trying to reduce the balance and these summons were just adding to the balance especially since according to the adviser i'll not be seen by the judge anyway.

the adviser told me it was nothing compared to how much the council had 'written off'. anyway, at the time,

i queried the balance and the adviser quoted me what i have on my breakdown balance.

forward a week later when i rang to query the exact date to attend (thinking what the heck, may as well attend if i'm paying for it), the balance is back up to £2000.

i got a letter recently telling me that the adviser quoted my bill wrong.

any idea what these adjustments are?

any help on what i should do about this and future summons?

should i attend?

im a bit disheartened with the whole situation especially with the attitude i got from the staff AND being misinformed

any help greatly appreciated

Sounds as if you need to see what the Council have, particularly if it goes back a year or three. Easiest way is to submit a SAR, some do it free but others charge the £10. I fail to understand that if they are deducting money from your Benefits why you owe. Do you actually claim CTB?

PT

• Confused 1

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

hi ploddertom & ty for responding,

with regards to the SAR, is there any specific info i should ask for aside from the account statements (or whatever you call it?). yes, i claim CTB but of course these deductions are to cover the previous years arrears and it's apparently not enough to stop the court summons now & then.

To start with it may be worth asking if they can send you a statement of each years account they are claiming. Am I right in assuming if these accounts were before you got CTB, that you also got the Liability Orders before you claimed CTB?

PT

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

yes i think that's right. also i've not claimed CTB consecutively either since then. i have worked in and out of jobs between periods and so didn't claim CTB. the recent summons was when i 've been claiming CTB and i have had one previously before this that was the same.

hope that helps

In that case you need to ask them:

1 - how many Liability Orders they have

2 - the date each one covers - check to see if that concurs with what you have

3 - how much each Liability Order is for

4 - how much is still outstanding on each one

5 - the date each Liability Order was obtained

PT

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 1 year later...

hi everyone,

i'd really like some advice on my council tax situation please (which is a disaster indeed).

i've now got two pre-committal orders within the space of 3 months.

the first i received in november was for a sum of liability orders in the region of £700.

i was advised by the council (over the phone) to try and pay off that sum so that i wouldn't have to face such pre-committals which is what i've been trying to do

- throwing anything i can afford to do away with the lo's I roughly paid off about £400.

the council advisers and i even worked out how much it would cost per month to clear our outstanding council tax arrears and the current years.

i've now got a recent letter for lo's of £973.

this was never mentioned to me once during the conversations with the advisers a month back.

i've since been told by debt helpline that i should've been keeping up to date with my current council tax rather than focused on the arrears.

the explanation i've been given since speaking to an adviser is that because i've been on jsa previously, the council had written off like a huge amount of my debt but because i am now working, they have made 'adjustments' and put it back on.

i don't even earn that much with the job i have seeing as it's part time and just a little above minimum wage.

i know i'm entitled to discounts due to the other people living in the property with me and this is something i'm trying to now claim but what should i do in the meantime? i've been told i should expect bailiffs knocking on the door soon (wasn't said as a threat - just, it's at that stage (again)).

the adviser i spoke to recently said i should get an income and expenditure form done which i'm in the process of doing too and explain my situation.

do you think i could ask that they write off the debt again given my circumstances?

it's not likely i'll be doing better than i am and in fact, with the situation of my job as it is, i may even have to go back to signing on

- a prospect i really am not looking forward to.

i funnily enough got told by an adviser that i was better on the dole than working :|

i have no idea what to do.

one thing i'm really annoyed with is that the 'adjustments' that just pop up out of nowhere.

dunno what to expect.

no proper figure is really given to me. i've never not wanted to pay so they shouldn't put me in prison...err, right?

sorry for the long read. any advice?

i'm at my wit's end on how to properly handle this.

any help offered please?

is there any guidance on the income and expenditure. what are acceptable amounts to put down for certain expenses for instance?

to make matters complicated,

i'm likely to be moving from the property in a couple of months.

there's no way i can pay of the arrears before then.

any idea what'll happen in that situation?

i've asked for a breakdown of the council tax but all i've been given was the dates of the liability orders from years back and nothing more.

i can't get anymore detailed than this and pretty much refused to send anything in writing preferring to give it over the phone or have me come down instead.

• 2 weeks later...

First of all, i would suggest seeking help from the CAB, and taking all the paperwork you can get regarding this to them. This matter is not something the average person in society can deal with, since it's really complicated what you either owe, or don't owe.

I'm sure, your like many many others here, that want to pay " what they owe"...after all, we are all decent citizens here, and we are not avoiding it. The councils and so called advisors, they like to confuse the issue beyond any reasonable doubt, so that they can fudge a few numbers and get more out of you. That's why you need professional advice from CAB.

The CAB will rummage through what you owe, and what you dont owe, and they will give you a correct figure, and arrange some sort of payment plan to suit your finances, that way, your happy, the council get thier money, and you can concentrate on your move. As if moving home isn't stressfull enough, without the council on your back threatening you for something that you might or might not owe, and can't even get the right figures.

That's all i can really suggest, but whatever happens, always seek legal and professional good advice, and with my experience, i recomend CAB.

thank you wingus! appreciate any help

i've been considering arranging an appt with cab but they're really so busy and the timing's are difficult with work but it's something that needs to be done for sure so i need to crack on to that.

in the meantime,

i've tried to come with a temp payment arrangement but that's proving a nightmare on the phone even trying to accomplish the simplest task, i end up being lectured about the seriousness of the situation

- like i'm not aware of that already apparently.

i'm making a SAR to the council and apart from a breakdown of my bill, liability orders and notes on my account, is there anything i should specifically ask for?

considering a serious complaint about how my account is being handled by staff

are they allowed to note down an inaccurate and biased statements about my behaviour over the phone and on my record for anyone accessing my account to see?

i'm beginning to think there's certain things noted on my account which might explain why i seem to have such painful encounters over the phone.

i know i should keep things in writing but the deadline's looming and this was urgent

this issue is just getting worse :sad:

they'd gladly see me sent down no doubt about it!

• 3 months later...

hey guys,

i'm in the process of trying to work out an arrangement for my council tax arrears which amount to roughly £2000, near a £1000 of which is covered by 2 liability orders.

i've provided my i&e which shows my expenditure based on a household of 3 (including me). now is that enough for them to come to an arrangement? they want a breakdown of all people who live in the property - so an I&E for everyone? one's a student and the other's working. what can they demand to see here? any thoughts?

i also wanted this matter to be looked at by the head of revenues because there's been a lot of back and forth going on between staff who frankly don't have a clue and i thought it much easier if one person could look at the situation alone. since requesting that, they've raised it as a stage 1 complaint which honestly, i don't know what that would amount to. i just want an arrangement i can afford! they're asking about 40% of my wage for the arrears and i'm paying current council tax per month. bit of a nightmare

are only people who are on CTB taken seriously in this situation? that's what they keep pushing me towards but i haven't got all the info they need to put a successful claim through. how do they view I&E's from charities like CAB or others? i'd love to draw up something with them but they're always so busy and i have work which makes it difficult

so has anyone got any advice to share? i'm wondering if i'd have better luck in court as i've already been sent pre-committal letters...twice! i've been keeping up-to-date with current year so that's a relief - just the arrears to sort out.

appreciate any help

so an I&E for everyone? one's a student and the other's working. what can they demand to see here? any thoughts?

There's no law stating they have to make an arrangement so in principal they can ask for any information they want to make a decision on.

• 10 months later...

Hi all,

Could really do with some advice regarding my council tax arrears.

I've just received letters in the post warning of bailiff action and both mention liability orders of amounts with debt outstanding £183.78 (liability order date 26/1/11) and £1016 (liability order date 27/6/12) and included is a sheet titled 'The council tax (administration and enforcement regulations 1992) schedule 5.

Now on digging up papers sent to me, I have come across the summons issed to me which was for the financial years '2010/2011, 2011/2012' for the amount of council tax £936 that subsequently rose to £991 due to costs added.

The current amount they've listed for the liability order is an increase of £25. Can they charge me again for the liability order when it has already been granted?

And with regards to LO's, I've been receiving them every year for council tax arrears from 2007 and even two LO's issued twice in the same year (2010) and that was actually during a time when the council were already deducting payment from my JSA at the time. I remember disputing this on the phone with them but to no avail.

I'm actually not sure what the next steps are. I've been making regular payments of £120 since last year towards my council tax arreas in addition to the current council tax so it's not like I'm unwilling to pay but gah I feel cheated after reading about the bogus summons and really wish I'd ignored the council tax advisers advice not to attend and done just to be a thorn in their side!