SORN fine

icecoach2020
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3998 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all, new on here today, will try to keep this as short as possible as i am sure it will have been answered somewhere, 17th nov 2012 my car was written off. no fault of mine, a company dealing for my insurers took over to process the claim, arguments started regarding value eventually settled and 3rd party insurers paid up middle of dec, my car had a cherished plate so i had to retain that and get a new number prior to it being scrapped. V5 arrived 3 Jan 2013 car tax had run out on 31/12/2012, it was never on a public road during this time. I have now received a penalty of £80 for not declaring it SORN, have written to DVLA once with a full explanation, their response was the vehicle was still in my name and am therefore responsible and must pay the penalty. Any help or suggestions? Robin

Hi, I am trying to find out when it was scrapped, 17th November 2012 it was removed to a repairers compound for the insurance company, a week later it was removed after the insurers said it was not worth repairing, then i was paid out in the middle of december 2012

Did you notify DVLA that the vehicle had been transferred to the insurance company - sending them the yellow V5C/3 part of the V5C?

If not, that is probably the reason for their penalty.

You can take some quotes from here. I used the bits about deliberate evaders and not going after the law-abiding public. Mine was slightly different from yours. They did take me to court and their lawyer decided not to proceed with it when I spoke to him before we were due to go in to the Judge.

If you look at some other threads here you'll see that DVLA are known for trying to grab as much money as possible by whatever means, they refuse to properly deal with any questions raised in correspondence with them, and probably think that people will back down rather than going to court, which is why they get so much money.