Patricia Pearl - Small Claims Procedure - A Practical Guide

An excellent guide for the layperson in how to use the County Court - a must if you are intending to start a claim.

£19.99 + £1.50 (P&P)

BAILIFFS - The Law and Your Rights

Written by John Kruse, one of the leading experts on Bailiff Law, this consumer friendly guide is essential reading for anyone who comes into contact with a bailiff.

The book is easy to understand and clearly explains the rights a bailiff has, and also what they cannot do when collecting debts and repossessing goods etc.

£13.95 + £2.00 (P&P)
+ Reply to Thread
    Basic Account Holder icecoach2020 Novitiate

Follow Real_CAG on Twitter

Cagger since
    Apr 2013

Default SORN fine

Hi all, new on here today, will try to keep this as short as possible as i am sure it will have been answered somewhere, 17th nov 2012 my car was written off. no fault of mine, a company dealing for my insurers took over to process the claim, arguments started regarding value eventually settled and 3rd party insurers paid up middle of dec, my car had a cherished plate so i had to retain that and get a new number prior to it being scrapped. V5 arrived 3 Jan 2013 car tax had run out on 31/12/2012, it was never on a public road during this time. I have now received a penalty of 80 for not declaring it SORN, have written to DVLA once with a full explanation, their response was the vehicle was still in my name and am therefore responsible and must pay the penalty. Any help or suggestions? Robin

Site Team Conniff Authoritative Conniff Authoritative Conniff Authoritative Conniff Authoritative Conniff Authoritative Conniff Authoritative Conniff Authoritative Conniff Authoritative Conniff Authoritative Conniff Authoritative Conniff Authoritative Conniff's Avatar

Cagger since
    Mar 2007
    I am in
    or am I out?

Default Re: SORN fine

New thread here, subject SORN fine

Gold Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Download our toolbar
    Desperate Daniella Authoritative Desperate Daniella Authoritative Desperate Daniella Authoritative Desperate Daniella Authoritative Desperate Daniella Authoritative Desperate Daniella Authoritative Desperate Daniella Authoritative Desperate Daniella Authoritative Desperate Daniella Authoritative Desperate Daniella Authoritative Desperate Daniella Authoritative

Cagger since
    Dec 2008

Hi Robin, and welcome to CAGicon!

When exactly was the car scrapped?

What was the last date the car was in your personal possession?

DDicon

Cagger since
    Apr 2013

Hi, I am trying to find out when it was scrapped, 17th November 2012 it was removed to a repairers compound for the insurance company, a week later it was removed after the insurers said it was not worth repairing, then i was paid out in the middle of december 2012

Gold Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Download our toolbar
    Desperate Daniella Authoritative Desperate Daniella Authoritative Desperate Daniella Authoritative Desperate Daniella Authoritative Desperate Daniella Authoritative Desperate Daniella Authoritative Desperate Daniella Authoritative Desperate Daniella Authoritative Desperate Daniella Authoritative Desperate Daniella Authoritative Desperate Daniella Authoritative

Cagger since
    Dec 2008

Hi Robin,

The car was the property of the insurance company as soon as you had been paid out in the middle of December.

Have you spoken to the insurance company about this? What did they advise DVLA about the car?

DDicon

Cagger since
    Apr 2013

Writing back today, going to baffle them with so much text hopefully they will give up! I am seriously considering telling them to take me to court, any views on that from personal experience or other?

Basic Account Holder Raykay Informative Raykay Informative

Cagger since
    Jan 2009
    I am in
    Surrey

Did you notify DVLA that the vehicle had been transferred to the insurance company - sending them the yellow V5C/3 part of the V5C?

If not, that is probably the reason for their penalty.

Gold Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Download our toolbar

Cagger since
    Dec 2008

If you hold on for a bit I will find you the link to the House of Lords' report on SORN and how they are not supposed to chasing up the law-abiding public.

Gold Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Download our toolbar

Cagger since
    Dec 2008

You can take some quotes from here. I used the bits about deliberate evaders and not going after the law-abiding public. Mine was slightly different from yours. They did take me to court and their lawyer decided not to proceed with it when I spoke to him before we were due to go in to the Judge.

If you look at some other threads here you'll see that DVLA are known for trying to grab as much money as possible by whatever means, they refuse to properly deal with any questions raised in correspondence with them, and probably think that people will back down rather than going to court, which is why they get so much money.

Gold Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Download our toolbar

Cagger since
    Dec 2008

Viewing CAG on a small screen? Switch to the mobile version of the site

Reclaim the Right Ltd. - reg.05783665 in the UK reg. office:- 923 Finchley Road London NW11 7PE