• Tweets

• Hi all, We bought a part to fix our washing machine approx 13 months ago direct from the manufacturer of the washing machine via phone. This part then failed 13 months later, as confirmed by their own engineer, who was sent by the manufacturer (who is also the retailer for the part) FoC. The engineer actually installed a replacement part, the machine came back to life, but they then removed the part used for testing (and ours reinstalled) as "we would be charged for it". The retailer are refusing to replace the part, stating that they only warranty parts for 90 days. When I stated that I believed the Consumer Rights Act gives me longer than that, they insinuated that it did not, and this was repeated by many representatives. AIUI for goods bought more than 6 months ago, I need to get an engineers report to confirm the part has failed? Or that it has failed due to manufacturing issues? Or would the companies own engineers report suffice? Also, does anyone have any other decent contact details for Hotpoint (or the Whirlpool group)? Thanks, GH
    • Thank you for that "read me", It's a lot to digest, lots of legal procedure. There was one thing that I was going to mention to you,  but in one of the conversations in that thread it was mentioned that there may be spies on the Forum,  this is something that I've read quite some time ago in a previous thread. What I had in mind was to wait for the thirty days after their reply to my CCA request and then send the unenforceable letter. I was hoping that an absence of signature could be the Silver Bullet but it seems that there are lot of layers to peel on this Onion.  
    • love the extra £1000 charge for confidentialy there BF   Also OP even if they don't offer OOC it doesn't mean your claim isn't good. I had 3 against EVRi that were heard over the last 3 weeks. They sent me emails asking me to discontinue as I wouldn't win. Went infront of a judge and won all 3.    Just remember the law is on your side. The judges will be aware of this.   Where you can its important to try to point out at the hearing the specific part of the contract they breached. I found this was very helpful and the Judge made reference to it when they gave their judgements and it seemed this was pretty important as once you have identified a specific breach the matter turns straight to liability. From there its a case of pointing out the unlawfullness of their insurance and then that should be it.
    • I know dx and thanks again for yours and others help. I was 99.999% certain last payment was over six years ago if not longer.  👍
  • Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

cabot finance paying since 2005 for an old citi credit card debt - help

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3000 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

i have done everything wrong with my debt.

i have been paying cabot since 2005 and so far paid back £1,200 roughly

dont have any paper work as i got credit card from citi around 1999 i think or later.

about a month ago i had a phone call from cabot asking if i can pay more

and i asked how much do i owe and they said another 1,300 roughly

i said what for a £700 debt

it went up to over £2,500 default charges

they said defaults charges and missed payments

im sure cabot did not pay that for my debt or am i wrong here.

i have stopped payin them as im not happy still having to pay this amount

is there anything i can do i was silly and said take me to court for the rest

just need help to know what to do next as i really dont want them to take me to court for the rest of the money thanks for help

Edited by susanne42

Hi Susanne,

Welcome to CAG.

First off, STAY OFF THE PHONE. Never talk to these muppets, if you accidentally answer the phone, refuse to answer their security questions and tell them you'll communicate in writing only.

Don't worry about them issuing court papers, If like you say it amounts to charges, they wont go near a court with that. They are just pushing their luck in trying to get you to cough up more money as you've been paying.

Best thing for you to do is send a SAR to Citi (costs £10) to get all of the information they have for you, and get reclaiming the charges.

More experienced caggers will be along soon to either, add more advice or correct me if I'm mistaken.

You've come to the best place

Up2

been reading all the things about cabot on here.

they ring me everyday and i know the debt they have is for around £2500

and they sent me a letter there saying about that at the beginning they may have so long ago i dont remember lol

but i agreed to pay back does it matter that i have stopped payments no.

i have rang citi and they have no details of me as i said it was about 10 years ago

and they have no information about me.

not sure if the charges were from bank when i had card or from cabot

they say no what credit card company put on for default charges and missed payments

but at the time i did ring citi to say was having diff in paying the bill.

i dont know my account number that i had does that matter as i said over 10 years ago since i had it

and had flood and lost all paper work years ago. they have said its the bank

Going from your info, you are being cash cowed BIG time.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

I forgot to mention to send a CCA request to Cabot. This costs £1 (send a postal order and write on the back 'for CCA purpose only) and they have 12 days to supply this. If they fail you can put the account in dispute until they provide it.

This may throw up more info for you to send the SAR. I've never dealt with Citi but if you read some of the threads on them you may get some idea of how long they have info

Templates for both letters are found in the library (green button under the main forum bar)

Cash cow means you are giving them money for nothing and no reason.

Like a cow gives milk whenever the farmer demands it, and the cow doesnt put up a fight. It just does it, you are doing the same but with money.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

i was young and scared then wheni started paying it and had a kid learn by our mistakes, have written letter to cabot asking for a cca what do i do if i dont get a reply in 12 days what will my next step be and if i do get all the information what do i do then. do u think i should sent it recorded delivery to make sure it gets or just normal post

If you dont get a valid response to the CCA request, then you send them another letter which we can help with, which puts the debt into deep dispute and it cannot be enforced through the courts, and so you can stop paying it until such a time they can supply the correct paperwork.

This debt is probably on your CRA file, or has been and has dropped off, so theres very little Cabot can do if they dont have the paperwork.

Even if they do have the paperwork, from your info, the debt is laden with charges and unenforceable fees. All these you can claim back with interest at THEIR rate, which would be enough to wipe out the debt, and is probably why they have left you alone when paying. They dont want you to get a hint of what they are up to.

ive stopped payin them already is that ok im not sure if cabot have put on the debt or citi until i get the info back thanks once again for all your help have written letter will get it sent of on fri as not working then think i will post it recorded then i know they get it will keep u up to date

You're doing the right thing :) Lets wait and see what their response is to the CCA. If it comes back and they can supply the correct agreement, then we can take a closer look at these charges. I'm thinking if you reclaim them and the interest, it could wipe out the debt and they could owe YOU money.

Edit: Infact, re-reading your OP, that looks to be the case. They have thrown a TON of unfair and unenforceable charges on it and hope you dont notice.

def been cash cowed

hence the fact they keep rinfing etc etc

those that cash cow people

usually shout the loudest

to put you off the secent of finding out.

safe to say

your sadly prob owed nowt the first place!!

citi wont have you've already found have any info now

and they lost all their paperwork years ago themselves anyway.

hope you've no other debts you are blindly paying without CHECK PAPERWORK IS HELD FIRST.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Hi Susanne

think all the advice on here is correct so please listen to them...

.I too had a Citi card but that was then transfered to Opus and is now with Cabot.

Like you i started paying Cabot in 2010 way too much that I just couldn;t afford

but let them bully me at that time as I was going through a tough year personally having suffered four bereavements.

Well this Jan we finally sat down and took a real good look at our debts and realised that there just isn;t the money to pay the payments we were and so I stopped them all.

Cabot have been the most intersting and after sending them a CCA req

had a response saying that they had requested this from the orginal lender but it could take 40 days!

This has meant that THEY have now defaulted and so the account is in dispute and there is another letter on here that you can send

if you don;t get the CCA back within the 12+2 days whcih I sent to them.

Haven't heard anything yet but will keep you informed and don;t let them bully you xxx

not a hope in hell that citi will have a 1999 agreement, amount probably risen by cabots fantasy 12%interest add on! Put ac into dispute after 12 plus 2, any PPI to reclaim? if so as citi have sold ac it will be due to you!

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Any help I am able to give is from my own experience only. Should you have any doubt you should contact a qualified professional.

just checked my credit file and its not even on that lol

as i was just wondering if it was on that but it aint

wonder why it was 10 years ago not even cabot are on it to say im paying them strange

i thought they would be

account lookin not to bad

got only 2 defaults on them

trying to find out to get it sorted as they have been paid but it aint gone up to show they have

had my last phone call from cabot tonite

only answered as i needed my account number from them which i got.

found out i got card in 2001 not that far of 1999 lol

and cabot could also tell me the account number i had with citi

im assuming that they would have that?

citi must of put charges on me when i defaulted and kept adding even though i told them i was having probs but that aint the point.

cabot got the debt for £2,172.07 he admitted the put a intrest charge of around £250 around that amount as i asked if i owed £2,172.07

and i have paid £1,210.00 how do i owe £1,195.58

even my maths i worked out im payin more

thats when he told me about intrest they added and he said they can do that.

i said i was going to c a lawyer about this you guys lol he said wouldnt make a diff as i would still have to pay this no matter what a

nd he said if i didnt set up a payment plan again my account will get intrest everyday now.

I said please write to me in the future no more phone calls and he said getting nowhere thats fine and hanged up on me.

he said i had to pay it of the rest and lawyer would tell me that to.

will be sending my cca letter of on fri x ps

even admitted they bought the debt and i said not for the amount u are asking me for

and reply was yes but we are a business and we have to make money wouldnt tell me how much they got it for though did try lol

they have NO legal remit to add ANYTHING to a debt!!

there you go= cash cowing people again.

NO CCA = NO PAY.

simples!!

dx

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Christ, even after all these years..Cabot are still at it.

They say they got the debt for £2,100 odd- not that it matters but I can guarantee they paid no more than £120 for that debt...

I would question a 'counter-claim' for all the unlawful fees- I believe you reclaim them back off Cabot seeing as they are now the 'account holders'.

Just hate every DCA out there

nope always the OC.

dx

and they

Christ, even after all these years..Cabot are still at it.

They say they got the debt for £2,100 odd- not that it matters but I can guarantee they paid no more than £120 for that debt...

I would question a 'counter-claim' for all the unlawful fees- I believe you reclaim them back off Cabot seeing as they are now the 'account holders'.

thats what i owed i meant that cabot said now they didnt get it for that if they got it for £120 i have well payed it of lol sent my cca of on fri recorded and all that so just have to wait until the 15 april if no reply will do the next thing i have to do

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3000 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks