Am i being ripped off? :-(

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4082 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all

Can anyone help????

I recently had n car incident, i didn't have a collision but rather i was joining the motorway, just gaining speed when my bonnet flew up and smashed my windscreen. I contacted my insurers and notified them of my incident and they processed my claim.

I my insurers have contacted me to say that my car has been considered a "write-off". I asked them about what happens next and they told me that someone will go out and asses the damage. and if it is a "write-off" they will pay-out on my claim, however they will deduct my excess and the remaining balance of my insurance policy.

I understand the need to deduct the excess but why the remaining balance? i've not long had the insurnace so why do they have to deduct the my remaining months payments? i've check through my policy and i can't find, where it says that in the event of a "write-off" claim you have to payout your outstanding insurance balance.

I currently pay by Monthly direct debit for my insurance, and have recently found out that this type of incident is common with my car (Renault Clio). The daily mail actually ran a article about it asking for recall in 2007.

is there anything i can do? as i feel as through i'm being well and truly ripped off!

Hi all

Can anyone help????

I recently had n car incident, i didn't have a collision but rather i was joining the motorway, just gaining speed when my bonnet flew up and smashed my windscreen. I contacted my insurers and notified them of my incident and they processed my claim.

I my insurers have contacted me to say that my car has been considered a "write-off". I asked them about what happens next and they told me that someone will go out and asses the damage. and if it is a "write-off" they will pay-out on my claim, however they will deduct my excess and the remaining balance of my insurance policy.

I understand the need to deduct the excess but why the remaining balance? i've not long had the insurnace so why do they have to deduct the my remaining months payments? i've check through my policy and i can't find, where it says that in the event of a "write-off" claim you have to payout your outstanding insurance balance.

I currently pay by Monthly direct debit for my insurance, and have recently found out that this type of incident is common with my car (Renault Clio). The daily mail actually ran a article about it asking for recall in 2007.

is there anything i can do? as i feel as through i'm being well and truly ripped off!

Someone may have another opinion but you pay for insurance year by year. Therefore if car written off at begining of your insurance then it seems reasonable to take the rest of the premium from the payout assuming you don't want a monthly payment taken for the rest of the year. Unless you're going to use payout to buy another car and transfer insurance to it

Hi all

Can anyone help????

Not being ripped off. This is standard practise.

Your Insurers may ask you if you were contacted by Renault re the recall for the bonnet problem assuming you owned the car around the relevant time, if so and you were not contacted they may try and reclaim their out lay and possibly your excess

• 2 weeks later...

This happens due to the history of the legality of insurance. When you take out an insurance policy you set up a contract with a third party (your insurance company) for them to indemnify you against a loss (of whatever is stated in the policy, i.e. your car or your home etc.).

"Indemnity" has a particular legal language - wikipedia can give you a bit more information about it. The specific point is that the contract is set up to cover you against the loss of an item. If the item is lost completely then the contract is no longer valid because the item that it refers to no longer exists.

In the case of a write off this is known as a "total loss" of the item, and the contract is considered as completed. Because the third party have fulfilled their part of the contract in full then the customer must fulfil their part in full as well.

I know that seems awfully legalese, especially if you are used to paying monthly where it will feel like a rolling contract a bit like a pay as you go phone deal, but it is important as it forms the entire basis of insurance contract law.