Dual House Insurance question

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3704 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi!

New to the forum and am seeking advice re.dual insurance.

I have (rather foolishly)only just realised that we had house insurance(building and contents) with both Legal & General as well as Towergate Home and Protect for 5 years!

Doh!!I contacted both companies..

both have accepted that we were dual insured for that period of time without any claims.

However, Legal & General agreed to backdate 50% of the premiums for 3 years only

whilst Towergate have only agreed to backdate 50% of the final 1 years premium...as per "policy".

Are we entitled to any more money back or should we accept that weve done well to claw back this amount??

Have you made any claims under either policy as you may not be entitled to a refund for any 12 month period where a claim has been made.

Do Towergate mean as per their company policy or as per the wording of the insurance policy document?

I suspect they mean the former and doesn't have any legal standing unless it is part of a agreement between yourself and Towergate that you have been provided with.

Its been 8 years since I've been out of the insurance industry but I have worked for a few household name insurers and it was always the case that where dual insurance was proven, a refund was given for the entire period that it occurred. One of the reasons I got out was because logic, reason and customer service became a low priority (treating the customers as cash cows became a higher priority!) but in my opinion you are entitled to a refund for the entire period subject to the provisos above.

Thanks for your reply Northernpug.I have made no claims under either policy during the 5 years.Both Legal & General and Towergate said it was their company policy to only pay out 3 years(L&G) and 1 year(Towergate).Without looking at the fine print of both policies am i to assume that both companies are fobbing me off in the hope i'll be content with a smaller payout??

How might i approach both companies to claim the rest back?Do they have legal departments?Is there a law i can quote?Thanks again.

Normally each Insurers would refund 50% of the premiums paid, if no claims have been made. You would get the details from both companies and send it on to the other so they can make the arrangements. However, I think dual insurance refunds have always been discretionary, with no rules as such applying that a consumer can use to fight their cause with the FOS. Think you may have to accept what these companies are offering. But perhaps give the FOS a phone call to see if they know of any rules that I don't.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

I believe they are fobbing you off which is illustrated by the different "policies" of the two.

If you have details of how much you have paid each over the 5 years, calculate how much they owe you and send a letter along the lines of:

I acknowledge receipt of your letter dated XXX however, as you are no doubt aware, should a successful claim have been made, the rules of contribution would have applied and you would have only been liable to pay your proportion of the loss due to the dual insurance.

I have therefore paid a premium for insurance cover that I would not have had any benefit from and therefore your offer of £XXXX is both unreasonable and unfair.

I calculate the total amount of the return premium due being £XXX and I look forward to receiving your cheque in settlement (add in the amount of balance due if they have already sent a payment) within the next 14 days.

If I do not receive your cheque in settlement within the next 14 days, I will be commencing legal proceeding to recover the aforementioned amount plus costs. (only say it if you mean it - money claim online is an easy way to issue a summons but I expect they will give in at the threat of legal action).

Thanks for both your replies and advice.

Northernpug i will use your template and contact both companies for the outstanding monies owed.I will post back here of the results.Here's hoping.

Thanks again!!

• 1 year later...

how this going?

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight...