Esa overpayment

Miki123
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4080 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hey guys,

I return seeking your expert advice.

I received a letter today from DWP stating that I have to repay overpayments from march 2012.

The letter states that I owe £780.76 from date period 28/03/2012-29/06/2012.

It then says that it occurred because on 28/03/2012 my circumstances changed and the office that paid my benefit was "not told at the correct time" that I was in receipt of another benefit.

The benefit in question is carers allowance and I am no longer receiving ESA.

I made a claim for ESA on 14th May 2012 due to me currently being off sick at the time. During a call to ESA for a benefit period not being paid, one of the advisors informed me that I could be claiming CA.

I made the claim for CA on 02/04/2012 and informed them that I was claiming ESA.

I then informed ESA that I was claiming CA and my ESA was adjusted to take the CA into account and the payments dropped to £12 odd per week.

I assumed that all was then ok and a few months later I stopped claiming ESA (long story).

Now all of a sudden they are stating that there are overpayments and that because of social security law they want the money back.

I called ESA today to ask about this and the woman I spoke to said that she couldn't answer any of my questions especially as the dates don't match up but she seem to think that it was due to a backdated amount and that I would have to speak with the "overpayments" team.

She transferred me to them and the woman I spoke to there said that I'd have to speak with the esa team as she was only there to discuss how I'm willing to pay it back.

Spoke to the esa team AGAIN and the very rude woman I spoke to then said (you guessed it) "I'm very sorry but I can't deal with your request, you need to speak to the overpayments team.

Ok so guys, where do I go from here?

None of their dates match up or make any sense!

None of their advisors seem to be able to give me any confirmation on how they made their decision and came to the amount claimed!

DWP's left hand doesn't seem to know what the right hand does!

Where does it leave me?

What questions should I be asking and how do I move forward.

I was made redundant in Aug and still looking for work at the min so can't really afford to pay all this money back (unless they want £5 a week)

Thanks in advance guys