Patricia Pearl - Small Claims Procedure - A Practical Guide

An excellent guide for the layperson in how to use the County Court - a must if you are intending to start a claim.

£19.99 + £1.50 (P&P)

+ Reply to Thread
    Basic Account Holder russellhq Novitiate

Follow Real_CAG on Twitter

Cagger since
    Jun 2006

Default What are my rights in this situation? Faulty Workmanship

I recently had a new floor put down in my flat (May '06) and it has subsequently developed a fault, see image below. The floor has started to rise along one section stopping me from closing the door.

I phoned the company that fitted the floor and have been in email contact since. The last email asked that I get a joiner round to quote for fixing the floor because "to travel up from Yorkshireicon would be very bad commerce". I live in Glasgow so approx. a 4 hour trip for him.

What are my rights regarding repair etc?

Thanks in advance.

Similar Threads:

Royalties Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Download our toolbar
    buzby Highly informative buzby Highly informative buzby Highly informative buzby Highly informative buzby Highly informative buzby Highly informative buzby Highly informative buzby Highly informative buzby's Avatar

Cagger since
    Jun 2006
    I am in
    Scotland

Default Re: What are my rights in this situation? Faulty Workmanship

You're entitled to be satisfied, so do as they suggest - a local joiner may fix this for a small amount, and if your contractor pays this, there's no problem. Try to get a joiner that comes recommended. By the way, apart from the imperfection the floor looks lovely!

Basic Account Holder dax Novitiate

Cagger since
    Apr 2006
    I am in
    london

I can see from the photo that its a laminate floor and the reason its risen is because when it was laid, it was probably laid right up to the edge of the room at all sides. This type of flooring should have a gap for expansion round the edge, as it will expand and shrink depending on the temperature and weather conditions etc. Ideally it should have had a beading layed over the edge to hide the small gap around it or appropriate skirting board with edging, so I would check and explain to the fitters that, that appears to be the reason for the problem. Either way, if it can be relaid on the outer boards as its probably clipped together, board by board and the expense will be covered by the origional company, than apart from the inconvenience...the problem will be solved.

Cagger since
    Jun 2006

It's an 18mm solid oak floor, not laminate. As it's real wood it can suffer expansion problems from moisture. Essentially it's the same kinda problem. Not enough space to expand. So original company will have to pay/supply the material and the cost of a joiner to fix it?

Cagger since
    Apr 2006
    I am in
    london

Having a second look again at the photo, I can see that the boards have been staggered the wrong way, which wont support the individual boards properly either. You generally lay full boards, but stagger at the beginning and maybe the end of the room, if they run out, or at least the first board on a new run, so to speak. It appears theyve cut short boards in the middle of the room which doesnt help either.

Cagger since
    Jun 2006

The boards were various lengths

Cagger since
    Apr 2006
    I am in
    london

ok, just got youre message..but the expansion bit was clear to me. Shame that such nice flooring had to be bodged...good luck

Cagger since
    Apr 2006
    I am in
    london

They were various lengths for a purpose, just put in the wrong place

Basic Account Holder baconbuttyman Novitiate baconbuttyman's Avatar

Cagger since
    Mar 2006
    I am in
    cleveleys

i suggest you send them a etter giving 28 days to fix, the a letter saying you will sue if not re done, then sue. watch how fast its sorted

TOTALLY debt free as of 2007, Fantastic,
    Follows
    Following

Royalties Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Download our toolbar
    buzby Highly informative buzby Highly informative buzby Highly informative buzby Highly informative buzby Highly informative buzby Highly informative buzby Highly informative buzby Highly informative buzby's Avatar

Cagger since
    Jun 2006
    I am in
    Scotland

Court action would mean raising the case in E&W and the attendant problems of cross-border litigation. Their suggestion of getting someone local to fix it DOES seem the most sensible, however, since THEY are in the business, why not get them to source a local contractor - this means there's no responsibility on the OP to pay additionally and try to get the costs repaid if they subsequently don't want to play ball.

Basic Account Holder lambontheflag Novitiate

Cagger since
    Mar 2011

why didn't he just remove the door & adjust it with a plain or a sander?

Gold Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Download our toolbar
    raydetinu Highly informative raydetinu Highly informative raydetinu Highly informative raydetinu Highly informative raydetinu Highly informative raydetinu Highly informative raydetinu Highly informative raydetinu's Avatar

Cagger since
    Mar 2008
    I am in
    camborne

agree original speciast responsible should put it right; let them source if they want to subcontract!
    just imagine the problems if you find someone and they bodge it.

Viewing CAG on a small screen? Switch to the mobile version of the site

Reclaim the Right Ltd. - reg.05783665 in the UK reg. office:- 923 Finchley Road London NW11 7PE