Patricia Pearl - Small Claims Procedure - A Practical Guide

An excellent guide for the layperson in how to use the County Court - a must if you are intending to start a claim.

£19.99 + £1.50 (P&P)

+ Reply to Thread
    Basic Account Holder Popeye Novitiate

Follow Real_CAG on Twitter

Cagger since
    May 2006

Default Another court claim for Citicards !!

Hi all

Another new member for the 'Brian Smith Fan Club' ! He's certainly got the right initials for it hasn't he

Anyway, I've just received what seems to be the now standard reply from
    Mr BS, offering the difference between 12 and the various fees charged on my account. Obviously, this is not acceptable so I'm about to file my court claim - but wondered if I need to amend anything on the templatesicon in view of recent events with Lickthewallfatboy ?

The letter also states:
    'In a recent court case involving my client, Joeblow v Citi, the fairness of the above policy and the fairness of the 12 charges was raised. The case was dismissedicon and the court implicitly held that the policy was fair and the charges reasonable, being in line with both the OFT guidance and common law principles of damage for breach of contract. Citi does not wish to enter litigation with it's customers but will do so if necessary to discourage speculative and ill conceived cases founded on a misunderstanding of the OFT report. with the benefit of this judgement behind it, Citi will continue to deal with claims in the manner outlined above'

From reading through the threads I know a few people are getting replies along these lines (Bookwork - I'm also going to write to the various bodies about it !!), and I'm wondering if I should stick anything in my claim about it?

Anyone with any advice or suggestions, please chip in. And if there is anything that can't be posted feel free to PM me.

Keep up the good work guys

Similar Threads:

Platinum Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Make a donation
    zootscoot Authoritative zootscoot Authoritative zootscoot Authoritative zootscoot Authoritative zootscoot Authoritative zootscoot Authoritative zootscoot Authoritative zootscoot Authoritative zootscoot Authoritative zootscoot Authoritative zootscoot Authoritative

Cagger since
    Jun 2006
    I am in
    www.e-lawresources.co.uk

Default Re: Another court claim for Citicards !!

Hi Popeye,

Is your account still open or is it closed?

Basic Account Holder keren29 Novitiate

Cagger since
    Apr 2006

Citicards have over 50 claims now they are dealing with apparently. It came up at my hearing on Monday.

Abbey - Claim 1
    full hearing 22 Feb 07 - Settled in full 710
    Abbey (Claim 2)
    full hearing 22 Feb 07- Settled in full 4000
    Abbey (Claim 3)
    Court date 27 June -
    Capital One (claim 1)
    467 Settled in full 20 Sep
    Capital One (claim 2)
    72 refunded 19 Aug
    Associates (Citicards)
    claim 8 Aug/judgment by default 30 Aug/set aside hearing 9 Oct/Stay denied, ordered by Judge to reveal breakdown of charges andfull hearing 24 May/FULL DISCLOSURE ORDERED BY 8 MARCH/JUDGE TO STRIKE OUT DEFENCE AS NON-COMPLIANCE/DEFENCE STRUCK OUT PAYMENT IN FULL REQUIRED IN 14 DAYS
    Follows
    Following

Classic Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Make a contribution
    adamski Informative adamski Informative adamski's Avatar

Cagger since
    Jun 2006
    I am in
    Cambridge

They are going to busy boys and girls then running up and down the country to all these local courts, all those travel costs, legal costs, etc, looks like Mr Smiths letters have put off no one.
    And all that 8% interst of those claims must be a fair whack, why dont they just pay they will in the end.
    regards
    adamski

Lloyds TSB (SARS) request sent 9th June 2006
    2191 Moneyclaim Issued 11/08/2006, Acknowleded 17th August Defence 14 Sep, AQ returned 5/10/2006.SETTLED IN FULL 2,670 26/11/2006/ Lloyds Credit Card SETTLED IN FULL 267
    MBNA SETTLED IN FULL 15/09/2006 829
    Citicard (SARS) request sent 22nd June 2006 Moneyclaim issued 19th Sep, Defence and AQ received 5/10/2006, AQ returned 5/10/2006, part refund received 10/10/2006
    GE MONEY SETTLLED IN FULL 400
    Barclaycard Me and Mrs SARS sent 19/10/2006 settled 350
    Welcome Finance PPI 2 accounts one settled 1018 waiting on other
    GE Money PPI 1 account settled 8/5/2008 560 2nd account SETTLED IN FULL 3,599.78p 15thAugust 2008
    Lloyds TSB PPI CC complaint sent 10/04/2008
    Black Horse PPI with FOS 20/05/2008
    HFC PPI complaint sent 22/05/2008

Follows
    Following

Basic Account Holder lancasterchelsea Novitiate

Cagger since
    Jun 2006
    I am in
    lancaster

KBO
    If you can't fight, wear a big hat.

Halifax... 2 successful claims....518

CitiCards..... judgement and cheque (26/7/07) .... won 900

RBS business..... .....stay lifted reissued N1..... won 2105

Midland1 business.1996/1997.. first letter (27/6/07)....1470

First Direct...... first letter (30/6/07).... 839.... stayed

plus another 13 banks/business/cc's to come for 10,000 plus.
    Follows
    Following

Basic Account Holder keren29 Novitiate

Cagger since
    Apr 2006

Quote Originally Posted by lancasterchelsea
    Nice one.

Abbey - Claim 1
    full hearing 22 Feb 07 - Settled in full 710
    Abbey (Claim 2)
    full hearing 22 Feb 07- Settled in full 4000
    Abbey (Claim 3)
    Court date 27 June -
    Capital One (claim 1)
    467 Settled in full 20 Sep
    Capital One (claim 2)
    72 refunded 19 Aug
    Associates (Citicards)
    claim 8 Aug/judgment by default 30 Aug/set aside hearing 9 Oct/Stay denied, ordered by Judge to reveal breakdown of charges andfull hearing 24 May/FULL DISCLOSURE ORDERED BY 8 MARCH/JUDGE TO STRIKE OUT DEFENCE AS NON-COMPLIANCE/DEFENCE STRUCK OUT PAYMENT IN FULL REQUIRED IN 14 DAYS
    Follows
    Following

Cagger since
    May 2006

Hi zootscoot

Sorry for the delayed reply - main fuse blew and it's taken me a couple of days to figure out how to repair it . DOH !!

In reply to your question, the account is still open sort of - I haven't got a card and I haven't used the account since 2001 , but as I had a balance of about 3,000 I still owe them 2,230 even though I've paid them 75 a month or more religiously since then (including several one off payments of a few hundred quid !). Until I joined this site I had no real comprehension of interesticon rates etc, and I can't believe how much I've actually paid these people due to their exorbitant rates (27.9% on my card !!)

Fortunately, a few months on this site has made me realise that I need to understand a lot more about the way I, (and other people !!), handle what little money I've got. So hopefully I'll come out of this a lot wiser as well as a bit better off...

Thanks for the replies

popeye

Platinum Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Make a donation
    zootscoot Authoritative zootscoot Authoritative zootscoot Authoritative zootscoot Authoritative zootscoot Authoritative zootscoot Authoritative zootscoot Authoritative zootscoot Authoritative zootscoot Authoritative zootscoot Authoritative zootscoot Authoritative

Cagger since
    Jun 2006
    I am in
    www.e-lawresources.co.uk

Hi Popeye,

Give this letter a shot and issue your claim. The templateicon is fine no need to alter it.

Dear xxxx

Account no xxxxx

Thank you for your letter dated xxx along with your offer of XXX. I accept this offer in accordance to with my duty to mitigate my loss as partial satisfaction of my claim. However, I must inform you that I fully intend to continue my claim for the full amount.

In accepting this part payment, I am in no way consenting to any variation in terms of the contract. I note that no variation of the terms in the contract can be conducted by yourselves unless 30 days notice in writing is granted as per clause 30.1 of the terms and conditions of the contract.

I am aware of the case of joe bloggs v. Citi, but understand that as a small claimsicon case in Northern Ireland it will have no authority in any proceedings issued by myself. I am also aware that a district judge has also advised yourselves that it can not be relied on in any proceedings. I also understand that the case is subject to appeal.

I would also like to point out that whilst the OFT report was instrumental in alerting me to the fact that I can claim the return of unlawful penalty charges, it in no way forms the basis of my claim nor indeed could it as it has no legal force. To remind you, my claim is based entirely on statute and common law in that the regime of charges you have applied to my account represent unlawful penalties for breach of contract following the principles set out in Dunlop v New Garage. They also represent an unfair term under the Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations 1999 Paragraph 1(e) of Schedule 2 provides that a term “requiring any consumer who fails to fulfil his/her obligation to pay a disproportionately high sum by way of compensation” may be unfair. Furthermore any term requiring a consumer to indemnify your loss may also be regarded as unfair under s.4 of the Unfair Contracts Terms Act 1977 where the court considers it to be unreasonable.

As you have clearly failed to respond to my intial request in either providing a breakdown of the costs to which you have been put to as a result of my breaches in contract, nor repaid the sum in full I shall be issuing a claim forthwith.

Yours Faithfully

XXXX

Platinum Account Customer lickthewallfatboy Highly informative lickthewallfatboy Highly informative lickthewallfatboy Highly informative lickthewallfatboy Highly informative lickthewallfatboy Highly informative lickthewallfatboy Highly informative

Cagger since
    Apr 2006
    I am in
    Orchard County

hopefully the double pronged approach of Keren's hearing and our appeal will settle this nonsense!!

Cagger since
    May 2006

Thumbs up Re: Another court claim for Citicards !!

Hi Guys

Thanks for the advice Zootscoot - sent the letter this morning and will be off to court to file my claim this afternoon.

I'll let you know what BS MR B...S... himself comes up with in reply !!

Fingers crossed for you LTWFB

Bye for now

Viewing CAG on a small screen? Switch to the mobile version of the site

Reclaim the Right Ltd. - reg.05783665 in the UK reg. office:- 923 Finchley Road London NW11 7PE