• Tweets

• Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

RBoS - to court soon I hope

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1865 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hey all,

Firstly I am a newbie who saw you at MoneySavingExpert.com and I think what you're doing is great work :) I am writing the letter to my bank as we speak to reclaim £2,623.13!!!

I followed all the instructions, read the FAQ's and have had a nose about but I can't find anywhere why the limit is 6 years and not, say 8 or 5. Can someone explain to me where this comes from please as I'd like to put this in my letter to the bank.

Unfortunately I found the template in the library to be, in my humble opinion, meek and amateur when faced with a mamoth corporation like a bank so using my experience of writing letters to make the whole thing a lot more legal and look much more important and professional. I'd like to be able to cite some more information to show them I know my facts [i'll post it in the library upon completion if that's ok, in case others might like to use it as a template for theirs].

So yeah, why 6 years? :)

Cheers,

Candice

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Cheers Dave, that's great.

BTW the site keeps giving me SQL connection errors. It looks like you need to up the connection limits when starting the MySQL daemon with command line parameters (or a my.cnf file) or change it from mysql_connect to mysql_pconnect and decrease the lifespan of your Apache child processes. Just a guess though as you use Windows and I don't know too much about hosting on Windows. Good luck with it :)

Hi Dave,

I think the work you're doing here is great and that with Martin Lewis being involved you're bound to receive a lot more traffic now so I'd love to do anything I can to help but unfortunately I know lots about PHP/MySQL on Apache and UNIX and not IIS and Windows :(

The difference between _connect and _pconnect is whether the connection is persistent (ie, it's not closed after a page request but the MySQL connection is bound to the webserver child process and is only closed when that dies). There is a *HUGE* overhead in connecting to the database, including when it's on another machine, so typically _pconnect will reduce the CPU and bandwidth usage and make the whole thing work smoother on the whole.

It looks like your increased traffic is pushing the connection limit over the allowed threshold with _connect (which will connect the number of times that you have active visitors requesting pages). With _pconnect your maximum connections will be determined by the number of IIS child processes running, so reducing this will solve the PHP->MySQL connection problem but then you may get a new error of "Server too busy" as there's not enough child processes to deal with your traffic.

You should probably see if there's an IIS expert that can help you, unless you're interested in switching to something with a lot more beef (Apache - which can also run on Windows) and/or a Linux/UNIX environment for your whole hosting platform which wil give you much more power, stability and security.

I realy hope you can get it sorted because, as I said, I think this project is really good.

P.S., I have finished my letter to the bank and would be interested in your thoughts on it, it's based on the library template but sexed up with more legalese and written to cover more than one account (as I've had 3 accounts I with my bank within the 6 year period). It's a word .doc.

I'm no expert, but I left click the text and highlight it, then copy, then paste onto your post. Probably not the expert way of doing it but it works

The law, in its majestic equality, forbids the rich as well as the poor to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread.

Request for Repayment of Charges

Dear Sir/Madam,

I am writing to request a full and immediate refund of all charges applied to all of my accounts held with you within the last six years.

As you may be aware, penalty clauses in contracts in English and Scottish law for breach of contract are not legal if the penalty exceeds the actual cost of the breach of either party. Under the 1977 Unfair Terms (contracts) Act, the sheer fact that all banks make these charges makes this a breach of the Act. This is also a breach of the 1999 Consumer Credit Act (Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts) and possibly the Sales of Goods Act 1979 and Supply of Goods and Supply of Services Act 1982.

Such charges levied against my account include, but are not limited to, direct debit refusals, standing order refusals, exceeding overdraft limits and others. I am reclaiming these charges on all of the accounts that are or have been operational with you for six years in to the past from the date of this letter, as stipulated by the statutes of Limitation Act 1980.

I would draw your attention to the terms of the contracts which you agreed to at the time that I opened my accounts. It is an implied term of the contracts that you would conduct yourselves lawfully and in a manner which complies with UK law. The charges applied to my account are unlawful at Common Law, Statute and recent Consumer Regulations.

I am frankly shocked that you have operated my account in this way as I had always reposed confidence in your integrity and expertise as my fiduciary.

I have calculated that from account nnnnnnnn you have taken £n,nnn.00 in charges, from account nnnnnnnn you have taken £nnn.00 in charges and from account nnnnnnnn you have taken £nnn.00 in charges. Therefore I have calculated that in total on all my accounts in the last six years that you have taken £n,nnn.00 in charges.

I hope that you will enter in to a sincere dialogue with me in an attempt to resolve this matter satisfactorily as quickly and efficiently as possible. I am giving you 14 days to contact me in writing, unconditionally accepting my request in principal and informing me of the date by which I can expect to receive the total payment owed.

If you do not respond, or do not respond positively, within this time period, I shall send you a letter before action giving you a further 14 days to reflect on your position and to allow you to fully investigate the laws, statutes and regulations which you have broken. I would advise that although I am willing for you to resolve this issue directly with me at this time, failure to resolve it satisfactorily within the most gracious time periods I have allotted will result in the commencement of a claim at the expiry of the second deadline. At this point I shall also be additionally claiming to recover interest and expenses incurred.

Yours faithfully,

[Name]

In my humble opinion this gives the bank an unnecessary window of delay. Remonstrating with them at their dreadful behaviour is also pointless. A polite and short letter stating why you think charges should be refunded with a time limit before you issue proceedings is all that you need - except where you need copy statements in which case you have to ask for them and deal with the response. Dont think for one minute that the bank will use the 14 days you give them to research your points - they just won't. You will get a standard letter from the bank in reply every time and further correspondence just causes delay. Its not for you to give the banks a crash course in the legal position as we see it. In relaity the banks are well aware of the position we take.

As soon as you know the correct figure for charges send a 14 day letter before action. If the amount is not in your bank by the end of that time issue a claim - everything else is just a delay.

The number of members at this site and others is increasing rapidly. The number of court claims is growing exponentially as far as the banks are concerned. Pretty soon they are going to throw a lot of money at this situation and people should get their claims in as soon as they can before the landscape changes into one where the bank becomes an interested defendant rather than a remote corporation who as yet have not geared up to deal with small claims served and giving them only 2-4 weeks to reply.

In any event best of luck to you.

i agree,

it probably doesnt matter what you write at this point, what was a snowball a couple of weeks ago is fast becoming an avalanche and i would be more concerned with getting everything over asap and dictating the pace before someone somewhere finds a loophole or there is somekind of intervention,

Before everyone flames up with their ' why has it taken so long if they had it etc etc, deep down you just know that something is underway to burst this bubble, which is fantastic moving forwards and hopefully no longer will banks be able to charge these extortionate fees, but no way will the govt allow the entire population to claim back their fees IMHO.

Hi guys, yes thanks comments received most warmly. I am amending my letter now and will post the update when done. If you think it'd do the job then tomorrow morning I intend to hand deliver it to my bank manager and send it recorded postage also. That should cover my bases.

You may like to know that recently on MoneySavingExpert.com forums there was a poll for best joke, and this won:

Why did the Irish name their currency the 'punt'? Because it rhymes with 'bank manager'

Send it Special Delivery - you can guarantee it will get there.

The law, in its majestic equality, forbids the rich as well as the poor to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread.

Hi guys, yes thanks comments received most warmly. I am amending my letter now and will post the update when done. If you think it'd do the job then tomorrow morning I intend to hand deliver it to my bank manager and send it recorded postage also. That should cover my bases.

You may like to know that recently on MoneySavingExpert.com forums there was a poll for best joke, and this won:

Why did the Irish name their currency the 'punt'? Because it rhymes with 'bank manager'

My old university's social science students football team was called "Wit of a Banker"

Yes I shall send it special delivery then but I also want to put it in someone's hand so there's no possibility at all they can say they haven't received it, I'll even try and get them to give me a receipt that they've accepted my letter while I'm in there and if I don't get it, will undoubtedly do what I'm good at and cause a fuss and lot of embarassement and commotion for them. Well, you've got to really :)

Dear Sir/Madam,

I am writing to request a full and immediate refund of all charges applied to all of my accounts held with you within the last six years.

As you are undoubtedly aware, penalty clauses in contracts in English and Scottish law for breach of contract are not legal if the penalty exceeds the actual cost of the breach of either party. Under the 1977 Unfair Terms (contracts) Act, the sheer fact that all banks make these charges makes this a breach of the Act. This is also a breach of the 1999 Consumer Credit Act (Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts) and possibly the Sales of Goods Act 1979 and Supply of Goods and Supply of Services Act 1982.

Such charges levied against my account include, but are not limited to, direct debit refusals, standing order refusals, exceeding overdraft limits and others. I am reclaiming these charges on all of the accounts that are or have been operational with you for six years in to the past from the date of this letter, as stipulated by the statutes of Limitation Act 1980.

I would draw your attention to the terms of the contracts which you agreed to at the time that I opened my accounts. It is an implied term of the contracts that you would conduct yourselves lawfully and in a manner which complies with UK law. The charges applied to my account are unlawful at Common Law, Statute and recent Consumer Regulations.

I am frankly shocked that you have operated my account in this way as I had always reposed confidence in your integrity and expertise as my fiduciary.

I have calculated that from account nnnnnnnn you have taken £n,nnn.00 in charges, from account nnnnnnnn you have taken £nnn.00 in charges and from account nnnnnnnn you have taken £nnn.00 in charges. Therefore I have calculated that in total on all my accounts in the last six years that you have taken £n,nnn.00 in charges.

I hope that you will enter in to a sincere dialogue with me in an attempt to resolve this matter satisfactorily as quickly and efficiently as possible. I am giving you 14 days to contact me in writing, unconditionally accepting my request in principal and I expect the total payment to be received before the end of this period.

If you do not respond, or do not respond positively, within this time period, I will begin commencement of a claim at the expiry of the deadline. At this point I shall also be additionally claiming to recover interest and expenses incurred.

Yours faithfully,

[Name]

*Candice, I hope you won't mind, I've reformatted your posts so that they won't take so much space*

I have emailed all letters and have also taken a copy to my local branch and got them to stamp as received a duplicate. Overkill on delivery is no fault

• 2 weeks later...

The 2-week deadline for RBS to respond to my request to repay the £2,011 owed to me has now expired. 2 weeks on, and 2 letters later, it seems as though they've totally ignored me. Naturally, tomorrow sees the start of my legal action against them when I begin my claim.

The good news, I suppose, is that I can now add the interest to my claim bringing it up to £2,630. Apart from the £50 I will reclaim in expenses, the cost of all this so far is 8 hours of my time and £3. Not bad really :)

I'll keep you all posted :)

Yes of course I won't forget. I used the standard PDF template from http://www.bankchargeshell.co.uk as the basis for my claim, but I had to reword is slightly because I am reclaiming charges on 3 accounts.

I would be interested in anybodies comments.

Cheers

The claimant held 3 bank accounts with the defendant which were open within the time period of 8th March 2000 to 8th March 2006. Account xxxxxxxx (now closed), account xxxxxxxx (now closed) and account xxxxxxxx.

Between 8th March 2000 and 8th March 2006, the defendant made various deductions from the accounts in respect of: ‘referral charge’ (levied monthly when the account debit balance exceeded the specified overdraft limit); ‘unpaid item(s)’ (levied if a direct debit or standing order payment was returned unpaid because the specified overdraft limit had been exceeded); 'card misuse' (levied if a cheque payment was returned unpaid because the specified overdraft limit had been exceeded).

If the defendant is able to establish that the contract between the claimant and the defendant did contain terms purporting to entitle the defendant to levy these charges, the claimant will contend that they are unenforceable at common law, being penalty clauses rather than being liquidated damages clauses.

The claimant claims from the defendant a sum equivalent to the total amount unlawfully debited to the claimant’s accounts during the above mentioned period, being £2,011.00.

The claimant further claims interest pursuant to s69 of the County Courts Act 1984 at the rate of 8% per annum, being the sum of £618.76.

The claimant further claims the court fee of £[will find out when I submit my claim if this looks ok].

Scrap that, just seen how stupidly small the textarea is :-| Do they expect that to be useful at all? I managed to condense it all down to this:

"The claimant held 3 bank accounts (xxxxxxxx, xxxxxxxx and xxxxxx) with the defendant, open between 8/3/2000 - 8/3/2006.

During this time the defendant made various deductions in respect of: 'referral charge', 'unpaid item' and 'card misuse' (levied if a direct debit, standing order or cheque was returned unpaid, or because the specified overdraft limit had been exceeded).

If the defendant establishes the contract between the claimant and the defendant did contain terms purporting to entitle the defendant to levy these charges, the claimant will contend they are unenforceable at common law, being penalty clauses rather than liquidated damages clauses.

The claimant claims the total amount unlawfully charged during this period, of £2011. The claimant further claims interest pursuant to s69 of the County Courts Act 1984 at the rate of 8% p/a, of £618.76."

The task of compressing it all without losing content was harder than I could possible describe lol. Damn moneyclaim

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

I'm claiming against RBoS. The claim has been served and acknowledged, and they intent to fully defend the claim.

I'm claiming £2,011 + interest £618.76. Total: 2,629.76. Court fees is £120.

First one versus RBoS or so it would appear?? I really hope I get to go to court. The lady who filed the acknowledgement of service is Mrs Carol Stickland. Her position is "Litigation Officer", her email is [email protected], her phone number is 020 7714 4448 and fax number is 020 7714 4455.

claim_form.jpg

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1865 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks