Pension Credit £212 overpayment?

Surfer01
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2345 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Any overpayment by the DWP due to official error is nor recoverable under social security law - as long as they have all the correct info, if they make an error they can ask for the money back - but you don't have to pay it.

Please someone correct me if this has changed recently?

We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office ~ Aesop

what does the entry say on the bank statement, does it give a national insurance number.?

Have you been on Pension Credit long?

Where you in receipt of IB or your partner?

It has my NI number and states it is from DWP. Have had PC for 2 years and spouse was on ESA up to end of April 2012. ESA stopped and PC increased for cover both of us. We just do not feel right about having a benefit that we may not be entitled to have when every one else is struggling.

Thursday is a weird payday too. And if its got your NINO on to then its definately something that belongs to you.

They have your bank details..

I would just hold on to it, if its been paid incorrectly and they try to recover it then, no, its an official error.

so no OP

The amount I would say is two weeks couple rate of some benefit maybe...

We have never applied for Income support and no to NINO. DWP checked and it is not an IS payment. It has us flummoxed and we feel as if we are hitting our heads against a brick wall. We have even asked them to stop the payment until it is investigated but the payment keeps coming!

ISCS is Income Support Computer System.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

Never heard of it and obviously neither have the DWP and why we would we be getting it if we had never applied? On checking payments into our account since starting this thread, when the ESA my wife received was stopped at end of April, my Pension Credit increased to £212 exactly the same amount as the DWP ISCS amount currently being paid as they never took into account that she was entitled to carer's allowance but not in payment. It seems strange that the two amounts should be exactly the same. My PC has since increased to £238 from £212 after adviing them about the carer's allowance.

If you are worried about it and think you arent entitled to it, ask the DWP to remove it from your claim or payments and start a full investigation.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

If you are worried about it and think you arent entitled to it, ask the DWP to remove it from your claim or payments and start a full investigation.

I have done this several times on the phone and twice in writing but they insist I am entitled to it. I have not had any paper work from any one advising of the benefit payment. I am inclined to agree with others that it is an official mistake that for some reason they do not want to rectify. I have exhausted all avenues to get it rectified.

Well, teh best thing to do now, is to let them pay you, but keep the money in your bank. Write an official complaint stating that you have contacted them multiple times, and you have been advised you are fully entitled to it. However, you have no knowledge of what benefit it is actually for. Demand that they tell you exactly what benefit the payments are for, and if they cant, to start a investigation.

Address it as high up as you can, and since you will be heading it, official complaint, they will be forced to look into it for you.

Yes, and Pension Credit uses the Income Support Computer System to process claims and payments. Seen it on numerous SARs.

If it's an official error then it is not recoverable. Some DWP payments are recoverable as a result of official error but Pension Credit and Income Support are not. If it shows ISCS then it will always be IS or PC

My advice is based on my opinion, my experience and my education. I do not profess to be an expert in any given field. If requested, I will provide a link where possible to relevant legislation or guidance, so that advice provided can be confirmed and I do encourage others to follow those links for their own peace of mind. Sometimes my advice is not what people necesserily want to hear, but I will advise on facts as I know them - although it may not be what a person wants to hear it helps to know where you stand. Advice on the internet should never be a substitute for advice from your own legal professional with full knowledge of your individual case.

Please do not seek, offer or produce advice on a consumer issue via private message; it is against

forum rules to advise via private message, therefore pm's requesting private advice will not receive a response.

(exceptions for prior authorisation)

How can you be if you receive PC / ESA? You can't (as you probably know) receive both.

It is only income related ESA that you can't get with PC, I am in the ESA Support group (wich is contribution based), and our PC is reduced £ for £, I am also have an underlying entitlement to carers allowance for my wife so we actually get the same money as the OP, exept we don't get the £212. As correctly identified by others on your bank statment each payment has a code, and from DWP they include ones NINo and a code for the kind of benefit followed by a load of numbers.

Pension Credit = PC

State pension = SP

DLA = DLA

ESA = EESA

All I can suggest is to put the £212 in a high interest account and leave it alone unttill someone can say for certain what it is.

Edited by count orlok

Yes, and Pension Credit uses the Income Support Computer System to process claims and payments. Seen it on numerous SARs.

If it's an official error then it is not recoverable. Some DWP payments are recoverable as a result of official error but Pension Credit and Income Support are not. If it shows ISCS then it will always be IS or PC

Really confused as at no time did we complete any forms verbally or in writing claiming IS. Strange that DWP does not know code and continues to pay the £212. Not even sure how they would come up with that figure.

As mentioned before, keep the money safe, and write a formal complaint to the DWP, and state everything that has happened. Remember, if it is their mistake, then you will be allowed to keep it. However that is up to you, as they will ask for it back, but they cant pursue you if you say no.

Really confused as at no time did we complete any forms verbally or in writing claiming IS. Strange that DWP does not know code and continues to pay the £212. Not even sure how they would come up with that figure.

If you haven't claimed IS then it must be Pension Credit that is processing the payment; IS and PC are the only claims that can be put onto the ISCS. That doesn't tell you what benefit it is because sometimes if more than one benefit is in payment, it is one department that will deal with the payment for both.

For example when IB was active, a person could have IB with an IS top up. Sometimes both the payment for IB and IS was paid by IS so it came from ISCS (the income support computer system) but each department still held control over each claim.

My advice is based on my opinion, my experience and my education. I do not profess to be an expert in any given field. If requested, I will provide a link where possible to relevant legislation or guidance, so that advice provided can be confirmed and I do encourage others to follow those links for their own peace of mind. Sometimes my advice is not what people necesserily want to hear, but I will advise on facts as I know them - although it may not be what a person wants to hear it helps to know where you stand. Advice on the internet should never be a substitute for advice from your own legal professional with full knowledge of your individual case.

Please do not seek, offer or produce advice on a consumer issue via private message; it is against

forum rules to advise via private message, therefore pm's requesting private advice will not receive a response.

(exceptions for prior authorisation)