Water Supply Pipe - Who pays?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4238 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi Guys,

I have recently replaced the lead water supply pipe in my property as I was receiving poor water pressure.

I only got 8l/s and apparently should be getting 12l/s.

I applied to Portsmouth Water (my supplier) to do this and they said they will replace the water supply from the road (which I have to replace up to)

to the mains supply in the middle of the road.

They said they were doing this as it was also lead too, meaning I would then have a lead free supply.

They sent me some paper work to fill in about how much water I use.

From the calculations it said I need a 25mm supply pipe.

I sent the forms off then received back an agreement with a note saying sign and return.

I read the agreement which said I was agreeing to a water meter to be installed as it was a new supply.

I do not agree with a water meter as I dont want one.

Am I in my right as this is only a replacement supply and not a new supply?

Now they are saying that I will only get a 20mm pipe unless I pay for the additional works digging the road up which they would be doing anyway.

I have already replaced my supply to the edge of my property with 25mm pipe.

Surely the supplier has a duty to supply my property with the connection I need?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Dan

The communication pipe which links the water main in the street to the stop tap outside your property is the responsibility of your local water authority. The water supply pipe leading from the stop tap to the point where it enters your home is your responsibility if you are the owner; otherwise it is your landlord’s. All the plumbing inside your home to the kitchen tap is your responsibility or your landlord’s.

WARNING TO ALL

Please be aware of acting on advice given by PM .Anyone can make mistakes and if advice is given on the main forum people can see it to correct it ,if given privately then no one can see it to correct it. Please also be aware of giving your personal details to strangers

Hi, thanks for your reply.

So the water company are upgrading my communication pipe to a lead-free supply (i.e. MDPE) for free of charge. If I wanted to change it from a 20mm pipe to a 25mm who would then pay? Have they not got a duty to supply my property with the connection large enough for my needs?

Thanks,

Dan

Is this a commercial property or domestic? 20mm should be ok for a domestic supply.

Water meters are a fairer way to pay for useage rather than rateable value.

mine went down fron £900/year to £250/year.

It's domestic; a 7 bedroom house with 3 bathrooms that I have just bought. We have had problems with the pressure so replaced the water supply pipe. They sent us a form asking us how much water we use for the pipe we need. It worked out we needed a 25mm pipe.

The water company will only change the communication pipe to 20mm (MDPE from lead) free of charge and have quoted nearly £2,000 to get 25mm pipe. I didn't think I would have to pay for anything to do with the communication pipe even if it is an upgrade as it is supplying the property with the connection I need.

Dan

water flow is very much dependant on the supply pressure as well, you can get the same volume from a 20mm pipe at full pressure as a 25mm at a lower pressure.

If water co. can supply the pressure ( i.e. no leaks on mains etc. ) then the sixe they install should be realted to that.

The normal domestic supply pipe does appear to be 25mm external diameter! I believe having done a bit of research.

however the wall thickness depends on pressure rating.

If had problems in the past it could be realted to pressure not the size of the pipe.

What was the diameter of the lead pipe that is being replaced.

hi, thanks for your reply.

Well originally I called out British Gas who I have Homecare cover with and they said Portsmouth has a low water pressure of only 12 litres per min. They measured mine and I was getting only 8! The lead pipe I replaced was about 20mm external diameter and the MDPE pipe I put in is 25mm. The though I would get the extra capacity would solve my low pressure problem. But if the water company puts in a 20mm communication pipe this defeats the object of my 25mm pipe.

Dan

Yep I saw that portsmouth is treated as a special case by ofwat due to low pressure, so I think you are stuck with the 20mm pipe going into 25mm,

you will still get the same volume but the larger pipe will reduce the pressure a bit further!