Patricia Pearl - Small Claims Procedure - A Practical Guide

An excellent guide for the layperson in how to use the County Court - a must if you are intending to start a claim.

£19.99 + £1.50 (P&P)

+ Reply to Thread
    Basic Account Holder Wissa Novitiate

Follow Real_CAG on Twitter

Cagger since
    Mar 2006

Default How to decline a settlement offer?

Hi all,

This is a new threadicon as I don't know how to continue on my existing thread.

At the end of August I received a letter from Cobbetts offering me 2100 of my 4000 claim. It gave me 7 days to respond but I was away on holidayicon and the time had expired when I returned to find the letter. I have today received the letter again, giving me a further 7 days. The difficulty I have is that this claim has been going on since June and the 28 days that I initially gave them has long since passed. I have found the letter template to decline the offer but the ending isn't appropriate as I can't say 'My letter before actionicon sent previously indicates that you have until 23/07/06 to respond before Court action commences. You are reminded that there will be no extension to this timescale' so what date is reasonable to put on the end?

This is what I have prepared, is it acceptable?

Response to settlement offer.

Dear Sir,

Thank you for your letter dated 05/10/06.
    I respectfully decline your offer of settlement and request, once again, that you return to me all charges imposed on this account, totalling 4000.00

I will accept the sum offered only as part settlement and on the clear understanding that I will pursue recovery of the remainder, with a county courticon claim if necessary.

You have until 20/10/06 to respond before Court action commences. You are reminded that there will be no extension to this timescale.

I trust this clarifies my position.