• Tweets

• If a DCA supplies a reconstituted copy of the CCA what would be the next step. It seems that a reconstituted copy must be a " true copy " of the executed agreement, it must contain the Prescribed Terms. But given that there is no copy of the applicants signature surely it could be an agreement form with the details filled in. How can it be assumed that this " copy " represents a true copy that the claimant has supposed to have signed. Cabot have demonstrated a bit of sabre rattling when they say "Until we're able to provide this information , your account is unenforceable. This means we're not permitted to obtain a County Court judgement against you . Whilst we cannot pursue legal action, your balance remains outstanding ". I looked up a case... Cabot UK Ltd  v  Bachellier (2010) which might help, but it's tough reading, I'd prefer to plough through War and Peace. This particular case with Cabot is not huge , approx' £140, but the only other worry that I have is also with Cabot...£2100. They may try to make a point with lesser case.        
    • you'll never find a court open on a w/end MB. all courts are closed Good Friday and Bank Holiday Monday. However as Andy points out, that does NOT mean you get 2 extra days to file, you get one, same as xmas/new Year. UKPC have not filed their, so no rush on yours as dave says.  
    • Top US magazine slams Britain after 14 years of Tory ‘psychodrama’ The New Yorker’s excoriating report on the state of the UK lays bare how Britain’s withdrawal from the European Union (EU) “catalysed some of the worst tendencies in British politics”. “The only way to think about it is as a psychodrama enacted, for the most part, by a small group of middle-aged men who went to élite private schools, studied at the University of Oxford, and have been climbing and chucking one another off the ladder of British public life" Top US magazine slams Britain after 14 years of Tory ‘psychodrama’ WWW.INDEPENDENT.CO.UK The New Yorker’s excoriating report on the state of the UK lays bare how Britain’s withdrawal from the European Union (EU) “catalysed...  
    • UK travellers are being caught out by post-Brexit passport rules.   When do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule? WWW.BBC.COM UK travellers have been turned away at airports because their passports are not valid for EU travel.                                   
  • Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Wonga default

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4199 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi guys I had a debt of 400 with Wonga which I didn't repay and after a 15 months of hearing nothing I received two phone calls to my work from mackenzie hall debt now 920 can I get the debt moved back to Wonga and go down the capital plus one mth interest route

Are the additional 400 plus in charges enforceable

Thanks for your advice

Ahh Mucky hall. They are very VERY well known for inflating debts with bogus charges.

We're going to need more background info, such as how much have you paid. Why didnt you pay the rest etc.

It also sounds like you need to send the telephone harassment letter as them phoning your employer is a very big mistake on their part.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

Thanks for replying it was a loan of 400 plus 100 interest which I had rolled over 3 times I set up a repayment plan and didn't stick to it - didn't hear from Wonga again until 15 mths later the dca sends me a letter for over £900 and today phone calls started . By reading other threads

1. Do I need proof they have bought the debt

2. Can I get the acc put back to Wonga and set up a repayment plan based on loan plus one mth interest

3. Are the £400 plus charges on the acc enforceable

Thank you

Hi dadsmada,

I doubt that Wonga will take it back, as they probably sold it if it is that old (15 months).

As renegadeimp rightly pointed out we would need additional background info, and then depending on that (especially how much you already paid, and how much you have available to repay), you can probably try to make MacKenzie hall a full and final settlement offer, e.g. 40%.(368 GBP).

24/7 Moneybox: 195.00 - Oustanding: 0.00

British Pearl/Spondoolies: 752.10 - Oustanding: 0.00

Cash on go/Peachy: 206.30 - Oustanding: 0.00

EarlyPayday: 325.00 - Oustanding: 0.00

Lending Stream: 1398.46 - Oustanding: 0.00

MicroLend: 780.00 - Oustanding: 0.00

Minicredit: 520.00 - Oustanding: 0.00

MonthEndMoney/PaydayUK: 937.50 - Oustanding: 0.00

MrLender: 715.00 - Oustanding: 0.00

Pounds2Pocket: 2328.00 - Oustanding: 0.00

QuickQuid: 1800.00 - Oustanding: 0.00

SafeLoans: 450.50 - Oustanding: 0.00

Speed-E-Loans: 516.00 - Oustanding: 0.00

SwiftSterling: 1295.00 - Oustanding: 0.00

Toothfairy Finance: 544.00 - Oustanding: 0.00

TxtLoan: 450.00 - Oustanding: 0.00

WageDayAdvance: 670.80 - Oustanding: 0.00

Wonga: 1336.86 - Oustanding: 0.00

Total: 15220.52 - Oustanding: 0.00

Hi dadsmada,

You replied while I was typing... :-)

So have you made any repayments to Wonga under the repayment plan, or did you already missed that first repayment 15 months ago?

If Mucky Hall have bought the debt from wonga, then they would only have paid 7-10% of the original debt. This gives you a lot of room to negotiate, even though they will try and say otherwise. If you get ANY discount letters from them, then you know for sure. The best bet is to ignore everything unless it is in writing. Once you get something of substance, post it in this thread minus any personal info.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

You have to be very careful when negotiating with mucky hall. They love to add on clauses and conditions to agreements. These clauses only ever benefit them.

Remember, they bought the debt for peanuts and are trying to get the full amount. if you agree to it, then theyve just made approx 1000% profit. If not more.

Where do I stand legally with them ? Can they not just force this down the court route for full payment if we cannot come to a mutually agreeable settlement?

Thanks for your time

They can, but since theres most likely unfair charges on the debt, they will start offering discounts as i said before. This means that the debt is bad and they are looking to get anything they can.

Hi Dadsmada,

No worries.

Renegadeimp is absolutely right that Mackenzie hall is known for inflating the original debt with charges, etc. The issue I see with playing hard ball with them until it ends up in court/mediation is that in your case Wonga offered you a repayment plan and you did neither make payments under it nor contacted them. So they might be in a stronger position should it come to court (They still might withdraw shortly before any court hearing or go into mediation, though).

On the other hand they have not heard anything from you in 15 months so they probably started a "last attempt" in desperation :-) (and in hope that you just pay anything to get rid of them).

So I think the best option would be to make Mackenzie hall a full and final settlement offer of 40% - 368 GBP (to start with, in future negotiations I would go up to a max of 50% - 455 GBP). Obviously offer this in writing only and "without prejudice". I still do not know if you would be able to afford e.g. 368 GBP, but there would also be the option to

a) set a late date (e.g. say in your letter "full and final settlement of 368 GBP to be paid into your account by 31 Oct 2012") or

b) pay the full and final settlement in e.g. 3 instalments instead of one.

To answer your questions from above for completeness:-):

1. Do I need proof they have bought the debt:

Well, this is up to you. If you know that you owe it, no need. Usually you would ask for prove of debt to

a) gain time and

b) hope they cannot deliver the prove and wipe it off

2. Can I get the acc put back to Wonga and set up a repayment planlink3.gif based on loan plus one mth interest

I doubt this. If you cannot or would not like to follow the full and final settlement route, then I would rather "fight" with Mackenzie hall (renegadeimp can probably better advice how best to "fight" them). But again, I think they are in a slightly better position.

3. Are the £400 plus charges on the acc enforceable

Again, depends if they actually let this end up in court itself or not and what your "defence" is, I think

I hope this helps

So should I speak to them when they call me tomorrow telling them of their obligations re phone harassment - give them my email address for correspondence and state that I am willing to settle for a lesser amount (in installments ) at a figure we both find mutually acceptable

Or get their bank details and make a token £1 / mth payment as willingness to repay

Should I ask for email confirmation that they now own the debt as well?

Cheers

Hi Dadsmada,

Do not speak to them :-) And do not make a token payment for now :-) Send them a letter or an email with your offer instead.

Sounds good advice I will email them tomorrow with a settlement offer ( due to my other pdl repayment plans it will have to be in installments ) and see what they say - bound to be a no but might be a starting point anyway - should I ask them also for a breakdown of how the bal is over £920??

If they point blank refuse to budge where does that leave me though?

Actually, before you make ANY offer whatsoever, you need to get a breakdown of the debt.

ALso, IGNORE THEM. Dont do ANYTHING at all until you get something of substance through the post. If you start replying, they will consider you a cash cow and start with their barrage of threat letters and constant harassment. Their plan is to start draining you of energy so you give in.

Again, do NOT call them, or write to them, or even respond to them until something solid in writing gets sent.

If they call you on the phone, do NOT answer any security questions or confirm your name. Simply say "in writing only" and hang up. Overtalk them if you have to.

Hi Dadsmada,

Send them the full and final settlement offer in installments first and wait for the reply. Depending on the reply then you can start either to negotiate further or go down the usual route of prove of debt, break down, etc. But first I would just send the offer and see what they say. As renegadeimp already said, they probably bought this debt for 50 GBP, so there is a chance they might accept your offer...

Hi renegadeimp,

I thought probably a breakdown is not needed so urgently because the offer will be below the original loan amount anyway...

Well if you are going to send them a full and final settlement offer first, you should maybe post a draft of it here so it can be checked if it is watertight and you don't leave the impression you end up as a cash cow for them... :-)

A breakdown is the first thing you get once something of substance comes in. As the OP has only had 2 phone calls and Nothign in writing, its much better to simply ignore them for now, until they start putting things in writing. As i said, they do this to thousands of other people. If you give in to them right away after theyve only made phone contact, then theyve marked you as a potential cash cow.

That is one of Mucky halls trademark tactics. Other DCA's use the same tactics, but Mucky Hall are relentless. So relentless in fact that their local Trading standards have a HUGE file open on them.

Again, if you offer then a settlement now before you have any kind of communication in writing etc, then you are opening yourself up to a world of potential problems.

Absolutely correct, but the OP posted that he actually did receive a letter. I am just wondering if it might be worth a try to just send the offer first and only if they do not accept start playing hard ball with them...