Patricia Pearl - Small Claims Procedure - A Practical Guide

An excellent guide for the layperson in how to use the County Court - a must if you are intending to start a claim.

£19.99 + £1.50 (P&P)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
    Basic Account Holder Dadsmada Novitiate

Follow Real_CAG on Twitter

Cagger since
    Jul 2012

Default Wonga default

Hi guys I had a debt of 400 with Wonga which I didn't repay and after a 15 months of hearing nothing I received two phone callsicon to my work from mackenzie hall debt now 920 can I get the debt moved back to Wonga and go down the capital plus one mth interesticon route
    Are the additional 400 plus in charges enforceable

Thanks for your advice

Cagger since
    Jul 2012

Default Re: Wonga default

Any advice out there please?

Site Team The Consumer Action Group ims21 Highly authoritative ims21 Highly authoritative ims21 Highly authoritative ims21 Highly authoritative ims21 Highly authoritative ims21 Highly authoritative ims21 Highly authoritative ims21 Highly authoritative ims21 Highly authoritative ims21 Highly authoritative ims21 Highly authoritative ims21's Avatar

Cagger since
    Feb 2011
    I am in
    excellent spirits

Thread moved to the Wonga forum.

Now that you are in the right place you will get some help soon

Royalties Gold Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Download our toolbar
    renegadeimp Authoritative renegadeimp Authoritative renegadeimp Authoritative renegadeimp Authoritative renegadeimp Authoritative renegadeimp Authoritative renegadeimp Authoritative renegadeimp Authoritative renegadeimp Authoritative renegadeimp Authoritative renegadeimp Authoritative renegadeimp's Avatar

Cagger since
    Aug 2010
    I am in
    Chester

Ahh Mucky hall. They are very VERY well known for inflating debts with bogus charges.

We're going to need more background info, such as how much have you paid. Why didnt you pay the rest etc.

It also sounds like you need to send the telephone harassment letter as them phoning your employer is a very big mistake on their part.

Cagger since
    Jul 2012

Thanks for replying it was a loan of 400 plus 100 interesticon which I had rolled over 3 times I set up a repayment plan and didn't stick to it - didn't hear from Wonga again until 15 mths later the DCAicon sends me a letter for over 900 and today phone callsicon started . By reading other threads

1. Do I need proof they have bought the debt

2. Can I get the acc put back to Wonga and set up a repayment planicon based on loan plus one mth interest

3. Are the 400 plus charges on the acc enforceable

Thank you

Basic Account Holder PDLVictim Novitiate

Cagger since
    Jul 2012

Hi dadsmada,

I doubt that Wonga will take it back, as they probably sold it if it is that old (15 months).

As renegadeimp rightly pointed out we would need additional background info, and then depending on that (especially how much you already paid, and how much you have available to repay), you can probably try to make MacKenzie hall a Full and finalicon settlement offer, e.g. 40%.(368 GBP).

Cagger since
    Jul 2012

Hi dadsmada,

You replied while I was typing...

So have you made any repayments to Wonga under the repayment planicon, or did you already missed that first repayment 15 months ago?

Cagger since
    Jul 2012

Should I contact Wonga firstly to see if they are still involved in the process - want to clear the debt but damned if these parasites get 900 outta me

Cagger since
    Jul 2012

Sorry pdl I made no payments was in a phase of paying nothing have only 3 pdls left to sort now ( all on repayment plans ) and wish to address this one as cost effectively as possible

Help the CAG!!
    Download our toolbar
    renegadeimp Authoritative renegadeimp Authoritative renegadeimp Authoritative renegadeimp Authoritative renegadeimp Authoritative renegadeimp Authoritative renegadeimp Authoritative renegadeimp Authoritative renegadeimp Authoritative renegadeimp Authoritative renegadeimp Authoritative renegadeimp's Avatar

Cagger since
    Aug 2010
    I am in
    Chester

If Mucky Hall have bought the debt from wonga, then they would only have paid 7-10% of the original debt. This gives you a lot of room to negotiate, even though they will try and say otherwise. If you get ANY discount letters from them, then you know for sure. The best bet is to ignore everything unless it is in writing. Once you get something of substance, post it in this thread minus any personal info.

Cagger since
    Jul 2012

I received a letter about 2 wks ago but gf binned it by mistake - no offers on it just stating the amount owed 920ish and ways to pay

Cagger since
    Jul 2012

Is it possible to come to a settlement arrangement amount with them and pay in installments - gonna be a winner for them especially if they only paid 50 max for the debt

Help the CAG!!
    Download our toolbar

Cagger since
    Aug 2010
    I am in
    Chester

You have to be very careful when negotiating with mucky hall. They love to add on clauses and conditions to agreements. These clauses only ever benefit them.

Remember, they bought the debt for peanuts and are trying to get the full amount. if you agree to it, then theyve just made approx 1000% profit. If not more.

Cagger since
    Jul 2012

Where do I stand legally with them ? Can they not just force this down the court route for full payment if we cannot come to a mutually agreeable settlement?

Thanks for your time

Help the CAG!!
    Download our toolbar

Cagger since
    Aug 2010
    I am in
    Chester

They can, but since theres most likely unfair charges on the debt, they will start offering discounts as i said before. This means that the debt is bad and they are looking to get anything they can.

Cagger since
    Jul 2012

Hi Dadsmada,

No worries.

Renegadeimp is absolutely right that Mackenzie hall is known for inflating the original debt with charges, etc. The issue I see with playing hard ball with them until it ends up in court/mediation is that in your case Wonga offered you a repayment planicon and you did neither make payments under it nor contacted them. So they might be in a stronger position should it come to court (They still might withdraw shortly before any court hearing or go into mediation, though).

On the other hand they have not heard anything from you in 15 months so they probably started a "last attempt" in desperation (and in hope that you just pay anything to get rid of them).

So I think the best option would be to make Mackenzie hall a Full and finalicon settlement offer of 40% - 368 GBP (to start with, in future negotiations I would go up to a max of 50% - 455 GBP). Obviously offer this in writing only and "without prejudiceicon". I still do not know if you would be able to afford e.g. 368 GBP, but there would also be the option to
    a) set a late date (e.g. say in your letter "full and final settlement of 368 GBP to be paid into your account by 31 Oct 2012") or
    b) pay the full and final settlement in e.g. 3 instalments instead of one.

To answer your questions from above for completeness:

1. Do I need proof they have bought the debt:
    Well, this is up to you. If you know that you owe it, no need. Usually you would ask for prove of debt to
    a) gain time and
    b) hope they cannot deliver the prove and wipe it off

2. Can I get the acc put back to Wonga and set up a repayment plan based on loan plus one mth interesticon
    I doubt this. If you cannot or would not like to follow the full and final settlement route, then I would rather "fight" with Mackenzie hall (renegadeimp can probably better advice how best to "fight" them). But again, I think they are in a slightly better position.

3. Are the 400 plus charges on the acc enforceable

Again, depends if they actually let this end up in court itself or not and what your "defence" is, I think

I hope this helps

Cagger since
    Jul 2012

So should I speak to them when they call me tomorrow telling them of their obligations re phone harassment - give them my email address for correspondence and state that I am willing to settle for a lesser amount (in installments ) at a figure we both find mutually acceptable

Or get their bank details and make a token 1 / mth payment as willingness to repay

Should I ask for email confirmation that they now own the debt as well?

Cheers

Cagger since
    Jul 2012

Hi Dadsmada,

Do not speak to them And do not make a token payment for now Send them a letter or an email with your offer instead.

Cagger since
    Jul 2012

Sounds good advice I will email them tomorrow with a settlement offer ( due to my other pdl repayment plans it will have to be in installments ) and see what they say - bound to be a no but might be a starting point anyway - should I ask them also for a breakdown of how the bal is over 920??
    If they point blank refuse to budge where does that leave me though?

Help the CAG!!
    Download our toolbar

Cagger since
    Aug 2010
    I am in
    Chester

Actually, before you make ANY offer whatsoever, you need to get a breakdown of the debt.

ALso, IGNORE THEM. Dont do ANYTHING at all until you get something of substance through the post. If you start replying, they will consider you a cash cow and start with their barrage of threat letters and constant harassment. Their plan is to start draining you of energy so you give in.

Again, do NOT call them, or write to them, or even respond to them until something solid in writing gets sent.

If they call you on the phone, do NOT answer any security questions or confirm your name. Simply say "in writing only" and hang up. Overtalk them if you have to.

Viewing CAG on a small screen? Switch to the mobile version of the site

Reclaim the Right Ltd. - reg.05783665 in the UK reg. office:- 923 Finchley Road London NW11 7PE