• Tweets

• Hi Lolerz Thanks for replying to me, yes I've been ignoring her & will continue to do so. All she keeps saying is they want to come up with an amicable settlement. Keeps saying this to our receptionist she shouldn't be saying this to a receptionist or even me in the first place as they have given no proof of anything no IP addresses noting just keeps saying about an amicable settlement.
    • If a DCA supplies a reconstituted copy of the CCA what would be the next step? It seems that a reconstituted copy must be a " true copy " of the executed agreement, it must contain the Prescribed Terms. But given that there is no copy of the applicants signature surely it could be an agreement form with the details filled in. How can it be assumed that this " copy " represents a true copy that the claimant has supposed to have signed. Cabot have demonstrated a bit of sabre rattling when they say "Until we're able to provide this information , your account is unenforceable. This means we're not permitted to obtain a County Court judgement against you . Whilst we cannot pursue legal action, your balance remains outstanding ". I looked up a case... Cabot UK Ltd  v  Bachellier (2010) which might help, but it's tough reading, I'd prefer to plough through War and Peace. This particular case with Cabot is not huge , approx' £140, but the only other worry that I have is also with Cabot...£2100. They may try to make a point with lesser case.
    • you'll never find a court open on a w/end MB. all courts are closed Good Friday and Bank Holiday Monday. However as Andy points out, that does NOT mean you get 2 extra days to file, you get one, same as xmas/new Year. UKPC have not filed their, so no rush on yours as dave says.  
    • Top US magazine slams Britain after 14 years of Tory ‘psychodrama’ The New Yorker’s excoriating report on the state of the UK lays bare how Britain’s withdrawal from the European Union (EU) “catalysed some of the worst tendencies in British politics”. “The only way to think about it is as a psychodrama enacted, for the most part, by a small group of middle-aged men who went to élite private schools, studied at the University of Oxford, and have been climbing and chucking one another off the ladder of British public life" Top US magazine slams Britain after 14 years of Tory ‘psychodrama’ WWW.INDEPENDENT.CO.UK The New Yorker’s excoriating report on the state of the UK lays bare how Britain’s withdrawal from the European Union (EU) “catalysed...  
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

HSBC Mortgage PPI Claim

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4206 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

To all.

Was just looking for some advice from anyone who is familiar with the possible miss-selling of Mortgage PPI - especially HSBC.

I took out my 1st mortgage with HSBC back in 2001 and was instructed that I must take out the HSBC Life MPPI with my mortgage.

Also they advised that in order to secure the amount of money that I wanted to borrow that I would only secure the mortgage if my parents would become guarantors for the mortgage.

I was only on a temporary contract (6 month contract) but I had been with the same agency for over 18 months (6 months contracts at a time).

I therefore wonder if I was miss-sold the MPPI due to the following reasons:

1. HSBC should not of informed me that the approval of the mortgage was dependent on taking out their MPPI (hard to prove I know)
  2. Would the MPPI ever have paid out if I was only on a Temporary Contract- therefore, was I sold something that was of no use to me because if I lost my job or contract did not get extended would I be covered?
  3. If my parents were already guarantors for the mortgage - did I need the MPPI in the 1st place and which would be activated first - the MPPI (if I was actually covered) or my parents acting as guarantors.

I have already raised the above issues with HSBC who have informed me by letter that they will investigate point 2

(no mentions of points 1 and 3 - do I need to go back to them to investigate these issues aswell?)

I am a bit of a hoarder so have most of the original paperwork and statements etc but just wanted some initial advise.Thanks in advance for your help and advice!

Edited by liam12345

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You have 3 valid points and want them all investigating. So yes, you should ask them why they are refusing to look at the other points as well.

It does seem a bit odd that they would want guarantors AND mortgage protection.

I doubt very much whether they would have paid out whilst you were on 6 month temporary contracts! Presumably that is why they wanted the secondary protection by way of guarantors.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

You have 3 valid points and want them all investigating. So yes, you should ask them why they are refusing to look at the other points as well.

It does seem a bit odd that they would want guarantors AND mortgage protection.

I doubt very much whether they would have paid out whilst you were on 6 month temporary contracts! Presumably that is why they wanted the secondary protection by way of guarantors.

Thanks for your response!

I shall phone HSBC again to get them to look at all 3 points as I do think it was a bit strange that they would require guarantors and MPPI.

I have also heard that trying to claim back mortgage PPI is more difficult as there was perhaps stricter guidelines that were followed than for loans and credit cards

but I do feel that I have a valid claim.

Has anyone had any experience with claiming back mortgage PPI or from HSBC?

Quick Update

- I have received a letter from HSBC in regards to the mortgage PPI and they state that they are looking into the issue of being on a temporary contract

- they still do not seem to have taken the other issues into account.

I have also received another letter in regards to a separate HSBC loan PPI claim and they have sent me a questionnaire to fill out and return.

In regards to the mortgage PPI should I contact them again to ensure they take all of the issues into consideration?

As for the loan PPI

- i took the loan out in 2003 when I was actually made permanent at the company I was previously working on temporary short term contracts

and their sick cover would have paid out for 6 months full pay and a further 6 months on half pay so again I feel that the PPI

I was sold for the loan was unnecessary as I was already covered via work

- do you feel that I have a good case for the loan PPI claim?

Thanks for taking the time to help and advise!

Ok, so we have two PPI claims now.

You can complete their questionairre or you can download the FOS claim form and complete that - up to you. Yes, even though your employment then changed to permanent your benefit package would have covered you. So the only benefit the PPI would have been would be an expensive life assurance !

IMHO, the fact that they mis sold the first Policy says to me they mis sold the 2nd.

I will flag your thread for one of the PPI guys, so hold fire until one of them pops in and confirms what I have said.

In respect of the first PPI issue - let them investigate the single issue. However, I would write to their Head Office as an official complaint and explain the situation again. Advise that whilst they are looking at the temporary contract issue, you still want them to investigate ALL your concerns.

HTH.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

BCOBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Hello

Dropping in as asked by CB.

Well nothing to add to what has been said. Absolutely spot on.

I'm now subbed to the thread so if you have further queries I can pick them up too and help where I can.

ims

:thumb:

There you go, liam. So complete your forms and write your letter :)

BCOBS

Ok, so we have two PPI claims now.

You can complete their questionairre or you can download the FOS claim form and complete that - up to you.

Yes, even though your employment then changed to permanent your benefit package would have covered you.

So the only benefit the PPI would have been would be an expensive life assurance !

IMHO, the fact that they mis sold the first Policy says to me they mis sold the 2nd.

I will flag your thread for one of the PPI guys, so hold fire until one of them pops in and confirms what I have said.

In respect of the first PPI issue - let them investigate the single issue.

However, I would write to their Head Office as an official complaint and explain the situation again.

Advise that whilst they are looking at the temporary contract issue, you still want them to investigate ALL your concerns.

HTH.

Thanks CitizenB

- just to clarify your comments

- the mortgage I took out in 2001 was when I was on a short term temporary contract so believe that the PPI would have not paid out anyway (is that a reasonable assumption to make?).

I was then made permanent at the same company in about 2003 and I took out a personal loan with HSBC again with PPI

but I believe that the company's sick pay/ benefits would have covered me more than adequately so the PPI on the loan was not needed and was miss-sold.

What proof would I need to provide for both these claims as I do have most of the paperwork and bank statements proving payments and that PPI was on both the loan and mortgage.

I can also go back to my old employer to prove my employment status for both situations if that is necessary or should I just wait for their response?

Thanks CitizenB - just to clarify your comments - the mortgage I took out in 2001 was when I was on a short term temporary contract so believe that the PPI would have not paid out anyway (is that a reasonable assumption to make?). This is correct

I was then made permanent at the same company in about 2003 and I took out a personal loan with HSBC again with PPI but I believe that the company's sick pay/ benefits would have covered me more than adequately so the PPI on the loan was not needed and was miss-sold. What proof would I need to provide for both these claims as I do have most of the paperwork and bank statements proving payments and that PPI was on both the loan and mortgage. I can also go back to my old employer to prove my employment status for both situations if that is necessary or should I just wait for their response?

If they require any proof then they will ask for it. At this point in time you are wanting to get over to the bank that you would not have requested PPI - that as with the first loan, it was implied no ppi - no loan. It is your belief that having mis sold the first policy, they then simply applied it for the 2nd loan, without any consideration as to whether it would have been in your interests, rather than the banks profit margins.

If you have bank statements, then you could actually prepare your own spreadsheet.. if you have a look at the links numbered 1 - 4 in ims21's signature there will be lots of information on how to do the spreadsheets and also blank spreadsheets to download.

• Confused 1

BCOBS

Just wait for their response....you don't need to provide proof.

Your written complaint statement will be given on the fos questionnaire.

Thanks ims21! Letter and form to be completed and sent on their way. Just to confirm - are all of the reasons above for both the mortgage and loan PPI valid and reasonable reasosns for a successful claim?

Yes they are.

In addition you can have a look at this thread where there are other reasons you may be able to use as well.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?61081-PPI-Some-Notes-for-Claimants..(3-Viewing)-nbsp

Submit your documents and they will have 8 weeks to investigate and give you a final decision before you can consider passing it to fos if they don't uphold your complaint.

Thanks ims21.

Just reading through the notes and I'm a bit confused about the temporary contract issue as it states that most policies require that you work over 16 hours

and that you have been employed for at least 6 months.

I was working on 6 month contracts that got extended a few times so would that make my claim invalid?

However,

I also have the issue with the other points and just wondered where I stood on the fact that my parents were gaurantors for the mortgage and I also paid PPI

- is that a reason to claim?

If you had guarantors then I can't see that the PPI was needed, necessary or anything else.

Don't get bogged down in the short term contract issue. Just out down the facts.

You had other means to pay the loan anyway (guarantors) so PPI was not needed.

This sale was probably driven by commission to bank staff and was not sold in the best interests of the customer.

• Confused 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick update.

I have received a letter from HSBC Life in regards to the Mortgage Payment Protection Plan including Critical Illness Cover

(I'm guessing both of these policies are classed as PPI?)

It looks like a standard update letter after 4 weeks to regretfully inform me that their investigation is not yet complete

but to assure me that a full investigation will be complete and an update will be provided in a further 4 weeks.

No guarantee that the investigation will be complete after the full 8 weeks though.

Have HSBC been given longer than the 8 weeks?

What happens if they do not complete their investigation within the 8 weeks?

No they haven't been given more than 8 weeks.

If they don't get back to you lodge a complaint with fos but still keep hassling them yourself as well

Thanks ims21 just thought i saw somewhere that they had been given an extension to 12 weeks!?

Is Mortgage Protection Plan and Critical Illness cover different or would they both be classed as PPI and both possibly mis-sold as per my previous reasons?

Must admit HSBC are being really helpful and professional so far and doing everything by the book so far - here's hoping that continues to a successful conclusion!

critical life will be life isurance, however i'd treat it as PPI and lump the MPP & CIC together as one claim.

it is unusual for CL to be there without life insurance

sure they didn't fleece you on that too?

the ONLY thing you must have with a mortgage is buildings insurance

and if you had that elsewhere, and they have charged for that too, then hit 'em too.

dx

• Confused 1

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Thanks ims21 just thought i saw somewhere that they had been given an extension to 12 weeks!?

!

This was shortly after the Court case when the BBA and Banks thought they could browbeat the FSA into backing down. Other banks were also given extensions to deal with the floodgates that were opened when the Banks lost their case. It was only for a set period of time, and that has well passed.

BCOBS

critical life will be life isurance, however i'd treat it as PPI and lump the MPP & CIC together as one claim.

it is unusual for CL to be there without life insurance

sure they didn't fleece you on that too?

the ONLY thing you must have with a mortgage is buildings insurance

and if you had that elsewhere, and they have charged for that too, then hit 'em too.

dx

The MPPI ended when I moved my mortgage and don't remember receiving any rebate so I did pay the full PPI amount.

I looked at Bank statements and I was still paying life insurance up until at least 2007 (so at least 6 years of it!)

I need to go through all of my old paperwork to detail exactly what I was paying and until what point so I can calculate what I should claim for.

I will lump the MPP & Life insurance together.

Thanks for the info!

This was shortly after the Court case when the BBA and Banks thought they could browbeat the FSA into backing down. Other banks were also given extensions to deal with the floodgates that were opened when the Banks lost their case. It was only for a set period of time, and that has well passed.

Thanks CitizenB I thought I had read it somewhere! Just got to do some more homework on the Loan and Mortgage PPI payment history so I know the value of the potential claim then will be fully prepared for the conclusion of their investigation in 4 weeks time.

Think I have the Motgage PPI claim in hand but I do have one question about my loan

- from my records i paid out a one off payment called Payment Loan Protection of £618 in Sept 2002

this loan was with HSBC which quite soon after got consolidated into an extension of my mortgage.

I received no rebate and the PPI was consolidated into the loan.

As this was a single premium front loaded PPI payement made in Sept 2002 how much should I be claiming for?

Is it 8% per annum or monthly up until todays date?

It makes a huge difference and apologies if that is a stupid question but not sure how the interest works on a single premium PPI payment

right ths is more complex than it first looks

PPI was thus rolled over into the mortgage

so MORE INT

i think you need IMS21 to do one of his master rollover spreadsheets.

your inline for £1000's!!!

dx

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

right ths is more complex than it first looks

PPI was thus rolled over into the mortgage

so MORE INT

i think you need IMS21 to do one of his master rollover spreadsheets.

your inline for £1000's!!!

dx

Thanks for the reply DX - let's hope so!!

From my records I can see that in Sept 2002 I paid just over £618 for 'Payment Loan Protection'

and then not long after I re-mortgaged to consolidate the existing HSBC loan into my HSBC mortgage.

I already have a Mortgage PPI claim for the orignial mortgage PPI that was taken in 2001 and is being investigated by HSBC but for this loan they want me to fill out a questionnaire.

So I started to trail through my old paperwork and found this one off single premium (i think) payment that Im 99% sure got consolidated into my re-mortgage with HSBC.

I then switched mortgage supplier in 2005 for the 100% of the amount

so my dealings with HSBC were done

but Im now a bit confused of what I can legitimiately claim for against the loan PPI.

Please help?

I will be looking through my paperwork tomo but if you can give me any guidance in regards to the amount I might be able to claim for the loan then that woul be great!

IMS21 if you can help also that would be fantastic?!

one of simple facts about PPI is -

if 'whatever' that had PPI associated with it

is settled early...by 'whatever' method,

that PPI should be rebated in cash, and NOT carried over into 'whatever' settled 'whatever' that had the PPI.

dx

and they