Suspended from work pending investigation

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3151 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello

Looking for some help and advice after being suspended from work on Thursday.

I work for a rail operator who I best not name just in case but this is the situation, We have had regular checks and audits done at a number of stations that I work at (I'm relief staff and cover an area working in ticket offices) and they have found that some of my non issues (cancelled ticket) are not where they should be from a 2-3 months ago along with some issues involving reprinted season tickets.

Work are basically saying due to the potential high value loss of a season ticket and that the cancelled tickets aren't available for checking on the audit there is a trust issue and because I couldn't recall any reason why they would not be in the filing system at the station I was suspended pending further investigation.

At the end of the initial meeting on Thursday the last question/comment made was that I could have taken the tickets and sold them on or I could have cancelled tickets and taken the cash and was then asked if I had done that, obviously I said no because I haven't done anything like that but Im left feeling like I've been tarred with a criminal brush

Since I started in April 2011 I have done my job in the same way and always completed non issues/ticket exchanges in the same way and now there have been these issues brought up and I've been suspended.

Im not sure how I can prove to work that I haven't done anything dishonest and as my manager said she needs to be able to trust me at work (which I fully understand) I don't know how going forward I can prove this, I've got a good track record, always work overtime/rest days and go the extra mile.

My only positive thought is that my manager said she knows I am a good worker and seemed genuinely caring and equally upset over what had happened and she said she will try to get it dealt with as quickly as possible.

I've been given no notification of suspension or any further communication about it yet and I'm just sitting at home waiting to hear whats happening now, I've contacted my union for advice and they cannot say much yet as they aren't sure what the actual allegations are yet so any advice/help anyone on here could give me would be very much appreciated

When I go into the investigation meeting I want to be able to prove that I am a trustworthy and honest person and want them to know that I have played no part in anything going missing or being lost, I have followed the same procedures for the last 16 months and only now has there been some issues raised, does anyone else have anything else they think might help my case other than my clear record so far, this is the first time I have had had any issues come up and trying to get the person to take my word that I am a decent person

Edited by markl1987

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

All that you can do at this stage is to be scrupulously honest and state categorically that you have done nothing wrong. Stress how much you enjoy the job and that you take any allegation of wrongdoing extremely seriously, and whilst you fully understand that the company must investigate anything untoward, that for the record, you are completely blameless and would never act dishonestly. Offer to take any refresher training that might be recommended if there have been administrative shortcomings and maybe even suggest additional auditing or monitoring for a period.

Until there is more detail it is hard to suggest anything further.

Any advice given is done so on the assumption that recipients will also take professional advice where appropriate.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

DONATE HERE

If I have been helpful in any way - please feel free to click on the STAR to the left!

Had a call from my manager today saying that she has appointed an investigating officer from another area and that they will be in touch soon to arrange a meeting to investigate further.

She sounded genuinely concerned when asking how I was and saying that hopefully it will soon be over and done with and then I can be back at work but I am still very concerned and worried, I'll update with anything else I know as soon as I am told.

She has said my line manager and herself will regularly check in with me to see how I am doing etc and if I need anything to contact them which is easing my thoughts slightly but its now been a week of worry and concern and starting to get too much.

Going to explain that I am an honest person and take on board Sidewinder's comment when going to the meeting, just hope I am back working soon!

Hi,

Well being suspended is not a "bad" thing in terms of employment law, it basically means that they are investigating your incident and cannot take the risk of you being guilty. It has no bearing on the decision being made.

Being honest is always the best course of action, employers sometimes will forgive a genuine mistake if owned up to (if that is the case) but what they will not tolerate is someone lying to cover up a mistake, which is entirely reasonable.

I am not a legal professional or adviser, I am however a Law Student and very well versed areas of Employment Law. Anything I write here is purely from my own experiences! If I help, then click the star to add to my reputation :)

Hi,

I would just like to say that it is very nice for your employer to be calling you up and asking how you are, and keeping you updated. I have been on suspension for 2 weeks now, and NOT ONE manager from my place of work or company has been in touch to see how I am doing, and i have worked for the compnay i work for for 11 years now!

It really is a horrible process to go through, and you come across a whole range of emotions that you've never experienced before, just being left in limbo.

Its nice to hear of other employers coming across as genuinely concerned for their employees.

Having had a chat with a manager I have been advised to think of anything that may help get to the bottom of the situation, sounds a bit vague for now but I will explain . . .

When cancelling a ticket (for whatever reason ie staff mistake, customer error, wanting return instead of single) we do a process called a non issue, this involves feeding the ticket back through the printer which prints void on it and then issues a second part showing that it was 'non issued' Some of my non issues have been found missing from the boxes where they are stored and I've been asked if I can explain where they are as they are a potential loss if no accounted for or processed correctly.

I've followed the same process, that I was briefly told about when I started, for the 17 months, I have been with the company when doing non issues where I complete the non issue then write the reason code on the tickets as required and then keep any from my shift in my till until the end of my shift when I cash up and I file all my receipts, non issues etc away together with all my paper work from the shift and have never had any issues before.

The occasions of these missing cards are from at least 2 months ago and I cannot recall doing anything differently at all or any reason why they would not be filed away. I work as relief staff going around to a number of stations and the only thing I can think is that some were mislaid when the resident staff have filed paperwork etc away for the period end or when things have been moved around for maintenance work that has recently been carried out.

It was implied in my initial meeting that these tickets could have been falsely non issued and the cash taken or the tickets kept for personal use and that as a manager needs to have full trust in me this was part of the reason I would be suspended.

I haven't done what was implied nor changed the way I have worked for almost a year and a half and Im starting to worry about how I will prove that I have done everything as required and done my job correctly and that these issues raised are no fault of my own, as Sidewinder has said being honest and explaining that I understand the company have a duty to investigate etc which I do understand and I am an honest person and always work accurately with little or no variances or problems and Im really starting to get worried that I wont be able to prove my innocence, there is no cctv in ticket offices and a lot of our work relies solely on paperwork that is stored away in boxes/envelopes for a year

I would be very grateful anyone have any suggestions or advice to help me out when the next investigation meeting comes up? Like I said previously I am very honest, work hard and to the best of my ability every day and have never had any problems like this occur before and I am getting really stuck and worried about what is happening to me

It sounds like they are accusing you of doing the old ticket duplication wherby you put 2 tickets through, one prins he barcode and the other the data, like stations, expiry cost etc on the front of the ticket, you cancel and tear the printed data ticket so the strip on the back cannot be read but the other blank face but magnetic tripe is used for travel?

Is that what they are accusing?

No they are basically saying that the tickets that have been cancelled/refunded cannot be accounted for (I know I filed them in the box they go in like I do every shift) and that there is a potential that they could have been falsely refunded thus making my till up and I have taken the cash* or I have taken the tickets that should have been cancelled and sold them on* both starred items were mentioned briefly in the initial meeting with my manager and she asked if I had done that, obviously I said no as I havent done!

I know I havent changed the way I work and havent done anything dishonest and I just have to ensure that I explain it all the best I can and hope that they can see I am not at fault here after the investigation comes to an end, been off suspended for nearly 2 weeks and starting to really get to me now :/

Hello,

Same here. I have been on suspension for 2 weeks now, and I am going out of my mind! I haven't had any up date or any contact from ANYONE! Even though I had my disciplinary hearing over a week ago now!

They really do not realise how much they mess with people's lives, state of minds and amounts of undue stress caused.

Please keep us updated on your progress with your disciplinary.

Another courtesy call today from my line manager, offering anything I may need etc but when I asked what is happening/when will investigation happen/does she know any time scales she said that she cannot comment on the case

Been two weeks tomorrow that Ive been suspended for and really just want to be back at work now

I've just had a call from a manager from a London station who has been appointed as the investigating officer, she has asked me to attend an interview on Friday to go over everything, if anyone could give any helpful advice to take with me in my head to the investigation I would be very grateful

From my previous posts you can see what the issues being put to me, I know I have not done anything dishonest or wrong but Im starting to stress about this meeting and worrying a lot so hoping some words of advice from some of you may assist and help settle my head a little

Hello

Am with RMT, I've spoken to them and they said until work say what they might be going to charge me with then its difficult for them to comment, they also said that its unusual to be accompanied at the investigation stage but I should ask and they can try to provide representation.

Im really not sure what to expect and am very worried, I work really hard, have made so much effort to try and impress recently (was looking to get promoted) and feel really taken aback by this

Went to the investigation interview today and found it to be much the same questions as before but this time clarifying details

The main points are that over an 8 week period around 30 cancelled tickets and their counterpart are not filed and cannot be located at one station and in that same period 1 at another station cannot be found and accounted for.

Secondly that some encode exchange (where the magnetic stripe stops working and we reprint) tickets are not accounted for although during the investigation I was shown a sheet with returned tickets (completed by me) that was all correct?!

The lady doing the investigation was very thorough and went over everything however I am still off on suspension whilst she goes over everything again.

I was 100% honest all the way through and explained that I do everything to the best of my ability and accuracy, as I have previously said I havent changed the way I work since I started and never had any issues until now

Feeling very worried still as I still dont know what is going on and have to wait until the middle of next week until I hear anything about what will happen.

Was hoping for this to be over today but its still going on, no mention of any charges/offences yet but still not feeling very positive about the situation

Any words of advice?

Edited by markl1987
Didnt mean to make the font so big

Thanks, will be 3 weeks tomorrow that I've been suspended for so hoping I hear soon.

Question, I was booked on leave for tomorrow and thursday which was approved and in the initial investigation I was asked if I had any leave booked etc, If they ask me to come in does being suspended have any any effect on my leave and would I have to attend or ask to wait until my leave was over. I wouldn't normally care but its my partners birthday tomorrow and I've made plans

I'll update if I hear anymore

Hi, I am suspended on full pay and took my annual leave. Apparently (so I have heard) is that is you are suspended then your leave days do not count as time off. They cannot have it both ways you are either suspended or at work/annual leave. Enjoy your time off and don't try to think too much about it. I have been suspended for over a month now. Chin up.

I had a phone call today asking me to attend a second investigation interview tomorrow (thurs) which I have agreed to in the hope that it brings all of this mess to a close!

I've written a statement out to take with me so I can say everything I wish to say without forgetting but without typing it all out (ended up being 2 A4 pages) it is along he lines of...

I am honest

I havent done anything wrong

If an issue raised has been down to a genuine mistake or unnoticed error on my part I am very sorry and will ensure if wont happen again

I take offence to it even being implied I would commit a dishonest act

I have a spotless record and was in the process of applying for promotion, I want to continue with this

Again, I am honest and I feel I am nothing more than a benefit to the company and wish to return to duties asap

Obviously my statement is a lot longer and in detail but I have briefly covered above what is in it, any other suggestions?

Just want to get back to work now :/

Edited by markl1987
Posted whilst incomplete

Well today was really just about one administrative error that has been resolved after some looking into, we briefly went over the previous investigation again and for a second time I said that I know I have done everything as per my training and nothing out of the ordinary has happened from me to cause any problems

As I have previously posted I took with me a prepared statement that I submitted (read out but also gave a copy in so witness would not have to write it all down) and in this statement I went again over the the fact that I am honest, I havent done anything wrong or broken any rules, If an issue raised has been down to a genuine mistake or unnoticed error on my part I am very sorry and will ensure if wont happen again, take offence to it even being implied I would commit a dishonest act, I have a spotless record and was in the process of applying for promotion, I want to continue with this, Again, I am honest and I feel I am nothing more than a benefit to the company and wish to return to duties asap.

I also offered to be monitored for any amount of time, have my shifts witnessed by another staff member or even take any refresher training they recommend.

The main issues they are bring up are

Missing non issues (cancelled tickets and counterparts, usually after customer/clerk error) - there are a number missing from the files over a 3 month period, some card some cash payments, I have explained I know where they go, I always follow the same process and I know I filed my ones away. I work at a number of stations and I leave all cancelled tickets with the resident staffs in the filing system so I basically intrust my tickets and paper work to them

Encode exchanges not submitted (from bad mag stripe or faded ticket) - I was told I have not submitted all my exchanges to station accounts but could not really see any evidence of this, the ones that were missing were explained (someone from HO came to collect one, another was chewed up by the printer) but I was only shown a sheet of exchanges that were correctly processed and submitted? (investigating manager even agreed they were correct) As with the non issues these are left with other staff at their stations and collated each period and sent off by the resident staff

A cash variance from a banking bag that was sent to the cash centre - this is on going as there was another member of staff who had a similar variance around the same time and I believe there to have been some kind of cross over during our banking

From what I can take from the investigation a lot of the issues are now in an almost stale mate, I am adamant that I do my job properly, I know I am honest and work to exceed expectations every day. I know I have completed all my work properly and any missing items are not down to me. I am not the only person to have access to my work and I do not generally complete the end of period paperwork which involves moving around and clearing out everything then filing it away which is a potential situation where my work could have been lost.

Im going to contact my union tomorrow for more advice but, questions I have are:

Is there a time limit for investigations to go on for? This is now more than 3 weeks and I am so stressed Im having trouble sleeping and need to get back into my routine and back to work.

Do employers generally take into account how they make an employee feel, I am being put through so much unnecessary stress for what I see as a far too long period of time?

Can anyone see any 'charges' that could be put against me from amongst all of this? There has been no mention so far during the investigation

Does anyone have any other advice/help to offer?

Thanks in advance if you can answer my questions

Edited by markl1987

Well today was really just about one administrative error that has been resolved after some looking into, we briefly went over the previous investigation again and for a second time I said that I know I have done everything as per my training and nothing out of the ordinary has happened from me to cause any problems

As I have previously posted I took with me a prepared statement that I submitted (read out but also gave a copy in so witness would not have to write it all down) and in this statement I went again over the the fact that I am honest, I havent done anything wrong or broken any rules, If an issue raised has been down to a genuine mistake or unnoticed error on my part I am very sorry and will ensure if wont happen again, take offence to it even being implied I would commit a dishonest act, I have a spotless record and was in the process of applying for promotion, I want to continue with this, Again, I am honest and I feel I am nothing more than a benefit to the company and wish to return to duties asap.

I also offered to be monitored for any amount of time, have my shifts witnessed by another staff member or even take any refresher training they recommend.

The main issues they are bring up are

Missing non issues (cancelled tickets and counterparts, usually after customer/clerk error) - there are a number missing from the files over a 3 month period, some card some cash payments, I have explained I know where they go, I always follow the same process and I know I filed my ones away. I work at a number of stations and I leave all cancelled tickets with the resident staffs in the filing system so I basically intrust my tickets and paper work to them

Encode exchanges not submitted (from bad mag stripe or faded ticket) - I was told I have not submitted all my exchanges to station accounts but could not really see any evidence of this, the ones that were missing were explained (someone from HO came to collect one, another was chewed up by the printer) but I was only shown a sheet of exchanges that were correctly processed and submitted? (investigating manager even agreed they were correct) As with the non issues these are left with other staff at their stations and collated each period and sent off by the resident staff

A cash variance from a banking bag that was sent to the cash centre - this is on going as there was another member of staff who had a similar variance around the same time and I believe there to have been some kind of cross over during our banking

From what I can take from the investigation a lot of the issues are now in an almost stale mate, I am adamant that I do my job properly, I know I am honest and work to exceed expectations every day. I know I have completed all my work properly and any missing items are not down to me. I am not the only person to have access to my work and I do not generally complete the end of period paperwork which involves moving around and clearing out everything then filing it away which is a potential situation where my work could have been lost.

Im going to contact my union tomorrow for more advice but, questions I have are:

Is there a time limit for investigations to go on for? This is now more than 3 weeks and I am so stressed Im having trouble sleeping and need to get back into my routine and back to work.

Do employers generally take into account how they make an employee feel, I am being put through so much unnecessary stress for what I see as a far too long period of time?

Can anyone see any 'charges' that could be put against me from amongst all of this? There has been no mention so far during the investigation

Does anyone have any other advice/help to offer?

Thanks in advance if you can answer my questions

When my old man worked for LUL in the booking office they had issues with discrepancies in the bags going to the cash store, turned out some fella in the back of the van was unthreading the bags, removing the cash adn then re-sowing them up with the other guard also complicit. Not saying this is the case here, nor do I think you should mention it as it could be perceived like you are finding an excuse for it. Just being relative to what you said