• Tweets

• Thank you for that "read me", It's a lot to digest, lots of legal procedure. There was one thing that I was going to mention to you,  but in one of the conversations in that thread it was mentioned that there may be spies on the Forum,  this is something that I've read quite some time ago in a previous thread. What I had in mind was to wait for the thirty days after their reply to my CCA request and then send the unenforceable letter. I was hoping that an absence of signature could be the Silver Bullet but it seems that there are lot of layers to peel on this Onion.  
    • love the extra £1000 charge for confidentialy there BF   Also OP even if they don't offer OOC it doesn't mean your claim isn't good. I had 3 against EVRi that were heard over the last 3 weeks. They sent me emails asking me to discontinue as I wouldn't win. Went infront of a judge and won all 3.    Just remember the law is on your side. The judges will be aware of this.   Where you can its important to try to point out at the hearing the specific part of the contract they breached. I found this was very helpful and the Judge made reference to it when they gave their judgements and it seemed this was pretty important as once you have identified a specific breach the matter turns straight to liability. From there its a case of pointing out the unlawfullness of their insurance and then that should be it.
    • I know dx and thanks again for yours and others help. I was 99.999% certain last payment was over six years ago if not longer.  👍
    • Paragraph 23 – "standard industry practice" – put this in bold type. They are stupid to rely on this and we might as well carry on emphasising how stupid they are. I wonder why they could even have begun to think some kind of compelling argument – "the other boys do it so I do it as well…" Same with paragraph 26   Paragraph 45 – The Defendants have so far been unable to produce any judgements at any level which disagree with the three judgements…  …court, but I would respectfully request…   Just the few amendments above – and I think it's fine. I think you should stick to the format that you are using. This has been used lots of times and has even been applauded by judges for being meticulous and clear. You aren't a professional. Nobody is expecting professional standards and although it's important that you understand exactly what you are doing – you don't really want to come over to the judge that you have done this kind of thing before. As a litigant in person you get a certain licence/leeway from judges and that is helpful to you – especially if you are facing a professional advocate. The way this is laid out is far clearer than the mess that you will get from EVRi. Quite frankly they undermine their own credibility by trying to say that they should win simply because it is "standard industry practice". It wouldn't at all surprise me if EVRi make you a last moment offer of the entire value of your claim partly to avoid judgement and also partly to avoid the embarrassment of having this kind of rubbish exposed in court. If they do happen to do that, then you should make sure that they pay everything. If they suddenly make you an out-of-court offer and this means that they are worried that they are going to lose and so you must make sure that you get every penny – interest, costs – everything you claimed. Finally, if they do make you an out-of-court offer they will try to sign you up to a confidentiality agreement. The answer to that is absolutely – No. It's not part of the claim and if they want to settle then they settle the claim as it stands and don't try add anything on. If they want confidentiality then that will cost an extra £1000. If they don't like it then they can go do the other thing. Once you have made the amendments suggested above – it should be the final version. court,. I don't think we are going to make any more changes. Your next job good to make sure that you are completely familiar with it all. That you understand the arguments. Have you made a court familiarisation visit?
    • just type no need to keep hitting quote... as has already been said, they use their own criteria. if a person is not stated as linked to you on your file then no cant hurt you. not all creditors use every CRA provider, there are only 3 main credit file providers mind, the rest are just 3rd party data sharers. if you already have revolving credit on your file there is no need to apply for anything just 'because' you need to show you can handle money. if you have bank account(s) and a mortgage which you are servicing (paying) then nothing more can improve your score, despite what these 'scam' sites claiml  its all a CON!!  
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

No response from the dealer at all.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2522 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

I hope you can give some advice on my next step I need to take with a used car dealer and a problem I have had with a car I purchased from him.

I purchased the car from him mid June 2012

the car was advertised on Autotrader with 12 month MOT and Tax.

I agreed a trade in deal for my vehicle and paid the balance on my credit card.

On the test drive the car was driven by him and we went around the block.

The car had full history and a new MOT and was I thought a good purchase.

On the way home I noticed a jerking from the gearbox at low speed

this was worse after the trip home some 50 miles,

however the car only judder when pulling off after that the car drove normally.

I contacted the dealer the next day as I had left my sunglasses in my old vehicle and mentioned the juddering to him and my concerns, he said they all do it don’t worry about it.

He sent me back my glasses in the post.

I was informed at the end of June by an official my road tax was about to expire,

I said no it’s to 2013 as had been advertised but they were correct and I had to tax the vehicle at the post office for £250

I continued to be concerned about the gearbox over the next few days and did some research on the internet in to its cause,

following the points raised on the forums I checked the service history and noticed a gearbox service had been missed and contacted my local main dealer for advice.

The said servicing was vital for correct operation of the gearbox;

I checked prices and found the main dealer to be very competitive on cost so booked the car in with them for the service.

I informed the used car dealer in writing about my concerns as well as complaining I had paid for road tax the car was advertised with, this letter was sent recorded delivery.

When the main dealer had the car

the service was performed and a car check by them

they informed me that the front brakes of the car were in a dangerous condition and they refused to test drive the car until they were replaced

also the rear brakes were binding and corroded and needed replacing.

Also several other minor faults were listed on the receipt.

Not knowing the best action I had the car back from the main dealer and wrote again, recorded,

to the used dealer with a copy of the invoice showing the faults from the main dealer and

asking for a response about what he was going to do about it.

I have obtained three quotes for the brake work to be repaired and sent him copies of them and told him I needed a response in the next seven days

or I will go ahead and get the car repaired and send him the bill, or for him to collect the car and get it repaired as I won’t drive the car as it is dangerous.

I intend to get the car fixed next week and the only upside is the gearbox is considerably improved but I am out £151 to get it fixed,

what this long winded way round text and I apologise for its length but I wanted to make sure you had all the facts, is, what do I do after that.

Send another letter to the dealer, contact the credit card company and say what, or take him to small claims court. Any help would be appreciated.

:|

had my SD Set aside thanks to CAG

won with lowells thanks to CAG

dont ask me though these are the people to help:D

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

background first,

make and model of car, year or plate reg year, mileage etc. price paid? this is get some sort of value on the deal.

This does not mean that the dealer does not have some responsability.

You should not have got any work done without dealer say so,

get it checked and report yes, then really should have taken it back for dealer to correct or get your money back.

They cannot sell a car which is unroadworthy or dangerous.

Did it have anew MOT?

considering brakes were dangerous,

did you check MOT history, mileages recorded, advisories etc.

If not got then check on vosa website.

2002 Audi A6 2.5tdi auto 100,000 m MOT 9/6/12 4 days befor i picked up the car. £2500.00

old mot with car all confirm millage as does VOSA web site. no advisories on the MOT

told dealer about gearbox and said i would get it serviced he agreed am willing to cover that cost as it has fixed it

my point is the rest, not as advertised Tax @£250

dangerous brakes cheapest quote £309.00

have asked him for the repair no response from him

have to get it fixed need the car he has 3 days left to be in touch where do i stand with recovering my costs

having done some research today, it looks to me that they have breached the sale of goods act

[/url]

When you buy a second hand car from a dealer, you have a right, under the Sale of Goods Act 1979, to expect the car to:

be of satisfactory quality (taking into account its age and mileage)

meet any description given to you when you were buying it, and

be fit for the purpose (for example, to get you from A to B safely)

If the second hand car does not meet these requirements you have a right to claim against the dealer for breach of contract.

also it should be covered by Section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act 1974

Read more: http://www.money.co.uk/article/1003471-how-section-75-of-the-consumer-credit-act-protects-your-credit-card-purchases.htm#ixzz21vfH7aiV

so it looks like i have a case just wondering what avenue to take in recovering the costs

Dealer? CC? or both

this is very good information from Witch

Edited by shedder101
new link

I think that you let another garage out of the control of the original dealer may have weakened your poimt.

Having said that, you could still get it repaired and take him to court for the repairs and a judge would then decide, but you will need a lot of written reports and back up docs and info. to make your case.

As it was paid by CC you can also claim against the CC co. under section 75, again you will need correspondance and confirmatory evidence, but easier than taking dealer to court who may not even pay if he looses.

Speak to trading standards and consumer direct.

Car does sound a good deal, now you know why!

i agree i think the CC co is the best avenue to take, as for your first point, there are very few Independent garages that can service the CVT gearbox, i know i have telephoned loads.

i have writen to the used dealer to accept the service as full rectification of the gearbox, i expected some faults with a car 10 years old and as you said it was a good deal so dont expect anything back for the service.

it was just a shock that they condemned the brakes at the main dealer, in writing, as well as the false advertising regarding 12 months tax so will peruse that avenue.

i have contacted trading standards and VOSA in his area regarding the MOT so i will see what happens

so do you think a letter to the credit card company or a phone call first?

have to give him time to respond, that will be Tuesday will keep you informed what happens

spoke to the CC co today, very understanding and helpful, i explained what i had done to contact the dealer etc and they said i done everything right.

they are sending me a letter re section 75 and i will need to send copies of everything to them then they will review it.

as it his they have put the payment in dispute to the company from now so it might shock him in to responding

O it gets better

funny today i have had a response from the dealer, saying i was told about the tax, i wasn't, he does not believe Audi about the condition of the brakes and he wants me to drive it 60 miles to him for him to decided if it needs repairing.

so i rang my insurance company today and told them of the situation, they have informed me that, as Audi have in writing told me the brakes are dangerous i am not covered for accidental damage or third party cover only theft until the car is repaired correctly. So i cant drive it to him anyway and i have written to him telling him this. the car is booked in to have the work done on Friday ether way i need the car fixed as i need it as its the only form of transport i have

i will keep you informed

work now completed and car in a roadworthy condition. i have sent a copy of the invoice to my insurance co, so all back to normal there now.

i have had a letter from the CCco and today i have sent all the paper work to them, they say it should not take more that 28 days so i will see what happens now.

also sent the dealer a letter with a copy of the receipt for the work on the brakes

CCco asked if they could contact the dealer on my behalf, i am assuming that was what fired him in to responding but i have informed him in my last letter that the CCco was on the case

Edited by shedder101

yes i have a copy of the advert from auto trader printed on the day i went to see it and left my deposit

update

well i have had a letter from the CC co thanking me for the information i sent them and they are investigating it and i will know in 10 working days.

as for the dealer,,,,,, nothing ,,, zip ,,

just to keep you updated .....still nothing from the dealer and still waiting for a response from the CC co

hi

i have had a telephone call from the CC co today saying they cant do anything as they spoke to the dealer yesterday and he said it was fine on the MOT and he offerd to look at, "after i contacted the CC co after ignoring my first 2 letters", also he told me about the road tax and they say its his word against mine.

they now say they would need an independent inspection of the vehicle, i told them as it was now fixed that was pointless and it had been inspected by the main dealer who condemned the brakes. i asked about the false advertising, they said its my word against his

bottom line is they wont pay my costs incured.

i now intend to write a letter before action to the dealer outlining my costs and as i could not use the vehicle for 11 days compensation for that loss, would a figure of £50 per day seem ok

it looks like i will have to go down the route of county court to get back my costs

i have taken legal advice through the service on my home insurance, they advise that legal action will be required

i have a 100% case for the brakes, as they say who is better than a Main Dealer who built the car to inspect and decide what is right.

i have 75% chance on getting the road tax as it his word again mine, but you do have the advert showing it listed hence the 75%

0% for compensation for loss of use, unless i can provide receipts for my costs , taxi etc.

i also addressed the CC co , i should escalate the complaint to them and explain its not the full amount of the charge just the costs at the same time as the legal action on the dealer.

so if any on has ideas of what to put in the letter it would be appreciated