Help With New Boiler

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4256 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Not sure if this is the right place to post this.

We have a back boiler that is over 30 years old. A few months ago we had to have it looked at because it is not running properly. The company who cameout to us said that it isnot worth fixing and more or less condemned it.

We don't have the money to buy or have a newboiler fitted. I do receive DLA and ESA (contributions related) but I have been told that this does not mean I can claim a grant from warm front to pay for it. This week we had help-link come to give us a price to have anew system fitted, but the finance has not gone through.

My husband works and whilst he has a reasonable paid job we do not have any money ofour own. Because I was refused DLA for so long everything we had in savings has gone on paying everyday bills. I have anumber of health problems and the fear of having no centralheating during the coming winter scares me. We have also been told that the boiler is no longer economical to run and with a new boiler we could save alot of money per week.

My dilemma is the same as everyone elses - where do you go when you just don't have the money to replace something so important in your home? We can't get a loan because of our credit rating - (all gone to pot with me having to give up work) - I have spoken to Warm front and a rather rude lady kept saying well if its contributed ESA no you can't get any help and DLA does not count, Our family don't have that kind of money.

We have never been in this position before and it worries me and I wondered if anyone new of any other options?

I assume you own your own home Lainey?

You can apply for a DFG (disabled facilities grant) - it's up to £30,000, and can cover whatever you need to help with things such as heating, kitchen, stair lift, bathroom etc, as long as they'll benefit your disabilities. Also, you choose your own contractors.

A grant can be used to give you better freedom of movement into and around your home and/or to provide essential facilities within it.

If you are disabled, acceptable types of work include:

• widening doors and installing ramps
  • providing or improving access to rooms and facilities - for example, by installing a stair lift or providing a downstairs bathroom
  • improving or providing a heating system which is suitable for your needs
  • adapting heating or lighting controls to make them easier to use
  • improving access to and movement around the home to enable you to care for another person who lives in the property, such as a child

An occupational therapist will look at your circumstances and can recommend the type of adaptation(s) needed.

Here is a link: http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/disabledpeople/homeandhousingoptions/yourhome/dg_4000642

Edit: If you apply for one of the above, make sure you look at everything you might need as you can only apply for the one of these, and with it being up to £30,000, you might as well have anything else done to make life easier for you.

Oh I also see that a landlord can also apply for it on your behalf if you rent - so get the ball in motion Lainey, you'll have your new heating in time for the winter hopefully! Good luck!

Life is like an echo, it all returns......The good, the bad, the false, the true......So if you give life the best you have, the best will come back to you.

have you approached your supplier, some of them allow you to purchase the boiler through the prepayment meters. it is not an ideal option as of course once they have the meters in the property they are loath of remove them, and you do pay slightly more for your bills, though they deny this...

the caring sharing uk of today!! its disgraceful that you are in this position, if the above options are not going to be helped would try this route...good luck

Thanks for your advice not good news from my OT. "

Unfortunately Disabled Facilities Grants do not fund heating and boilers unless they are part of a larger adaptation such as a ground floor extension.

I have been informed that Sldc sometimes has funds available, you can Contact ,,,,,,,,,,,,, (Housing Renewal Officer) to discuss - her number is 0000000 (she works Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays). - no they can't help as a boiler is not in there criteria - however if Iwanted a full downstairs extension then it would be done.

She also recommended Warm Fron - but I don't get the right ESA and DLA does not count. Warm Front have sid no.

First time I feel mortified that I have no mney, nowhere to turn and no one who seems to help. I know thisis what somemight say the real worl. Which is cruel and uncaring. Iam not being melodramatic here when I say that this winter I will not have any heating only a gas fire in my kitchen and nothing upstairs. God what amIgoing to do?

Lainey, you have to put your foot down and fight this - I know, I'm talking from personal experience!

The OT's will try to put you off getting this grant - but if you have a condition that is affected by the cold, such as a chronic lung condition, diabetes, thyroid disease, heart conditions etc etc, then they can not refuse you. It has not one thing to do with a "bigger adaption".

Grr, they make me so mad!!! I wish I could have been there with you when the OT came out!!! :-x

Life is like an echo, it all returns......The good, the bad, the false, the true......So if you give life the best you have, the best will come back to you.

Hi Duckwaddler - thanks for that so what do you suggest I do take it to her manager or I have a number of the things that youmention and I cannot do without any heating. If you could give me an idea of how I could go about it it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Debt4get I have had British Gas today to give us a price for the work and boiler etc £4660 which is £1000 more than a local enginerr and the interest that I would pay would mean I pay for my central heating £7960. I don't really thinkI can pay that amount for a new boiler etc. It is just so high. Its added just over £3000 to the original cost. Thanks

Hi Lainey! I'm going to pvt message you, but it'll be in the morning as there's a lot to tell - and don't worry, you will get your heating sorted out! And if their not careful, your local council may find they have to pay you a pretty nice some of compensation on top, trust me, mine did :-D

I'll message you asap in the morning, try not to worry okay? :hug: