Can I write to tax credits to admit I have been claiming falsely?

Cat2212
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3968 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi i am in same situation but trying to draft a letter to admit my guilt i just dont know what to put. I did create a thread the other day but have had no replies other than one of support from honeybee as of yet but a lot of views, maybe its a bad case :o(

It'll be fine Northerngirl, honestly, just write the letter with relevant details & they will work out a payment plan for you out of existing allowance.

• 4 months later...
Got a letter through on Saturday.

Have been claiming as a single parent since July 2009 when dh and I split up, got back together sept 2010 (but no proof he was not in the house)

I have falsely claimed from sept 2010 until getting the letter on Saturday. I won't even bother making excuses the lie just got out of control.

In the letter it says that they are looking at the 2011/2012 claim but nothing yet about previous years. Have seen people on here say though that they only investigate the years it mentions on the letter?

Anyway- have tried calling them on the special number all week but it is constantly giving a message saying the call cannot connect? Not sure if there is a fault or not. Tried calling the normal tax credits number but they won't transfer me.

Can I write a letter instead?

It says just to call on the letter they sent me but I'm going out my mind and want it sorted ASAP.

What would I write in a letter? Would I admit right away to husband being here since 2010 or say he was living with me for the year in question. Any help with wording would be great. Also I don't want to make a joint claim I want the money paid back and to never deal with them again, would they agree to this or will I definitely have to go through a investigation?

Hi cat can u please message me as I am in the same boat and am sick to the stomach my husband moved back in with me in feb and I never called them yet, but received a letter at the end of last week and I really need some help writing the letter, please can you help me x

*****UPDATE*****

Am just of the phone to tax credits. She called me back like she said she would yesterday.

She has stopped my claim from today and I have to pay back all the money I have received since 6th April last year.

I have just cried with relief, this is absolutely the best outcome for me. I was terrified my husband who knows nothing about this (even now) would be dragged into it and may have been in trouble at work, was worried for my children and family also being tarred with the same brush as me if this came out.

My family are so honest and hardworking and I am so ashamed off how I have turned out.

I need to work it out properly but think it will be about 15k.

I asked if this was def what was going to happen and would I def not be prosecuted and she said no it would not go to court I just need to pay the money back (fingers crossed this does not change!!!)

I am so so ashamed but relieved that now I can start to pit it right.

She said I could put in a joint claim from last year but I just want this paid back and never want to deal with them again.

Hi cat

How did you get on in the end? I've just ot myself in the same stupid situation and feel like I'm drowning in... Did you receive a fine as well? How long did it take to get sorted in total? Did you appeal?

I'm also in same position except with child care costs, I was sure in 2011 when renewed I advised that child care stopped in feb 11, but got letter today asking for all receipts for 12-13, I don't have them as wasn't any child care, I m to ashamed and embarrassed to call but want to write a letter admitting I was mistaken, I don't read any paper work as with 5 kids it tends to get shoved in a cupboard. Please any advise needed I'm so so scared.

Claiming child care costs and not having any is more straight forward than undeclared partner cases..You either have costs or not. If you can't produce receipts for the dates they've asked for then you have no choice to write to them and say you thought you had informed them of the change. There's nothing else you can do. Hopefully they will treat it as a late reporting of a change and only levy as small penalty. Just say you're really sorry, thats about all the advice I can offer. good luck x

scotgal 

I know you're scared but tbh what can they do but ask you to pay it back? I know it's hard to give up money you rely on and I can see why ppl don't report changes. Get the letter off and you'll start the ball rolling. The sooner you stop the childcare the better x

scotgal 

Dear Blah,

In response to your recent request for receipts for child care costs, I have to inform you I don't have any. This is because for the period in question I did not have any v

Child care costs. I thought I had informed you of this change.

Please accept my sincere apologies, i didn't intend to

deliberately mislead HMRC, I really thought my TC's had been amended to reflect the change in childcare.

I have 5 children as you know and lead a busy hectic life and I admit to not paying enough attention to my award notice. I accept full responsibilty for this error.

Yours faithfully

Rachie

scotgal 

sorry to just jump in But I REALLY NEED HELP....

Ok so first of all I'm not proud of what I've done but I really need help.

Last year march I was getting income support and other benefits because I'm a single parent and I have a 5 yr old daughter. I was keen to get out of benefits and start working so I got a job as a trainee beauty therapist. It was not apprenticeship but train while you work so I was given 600 pounds a month as salary and I was working 42 hours a week. After about 2-3 months I had to leave the job but I didn't notify HMRC that I stopped working. I was scared that they would stop paying me working tax credits and child tax credits. I thought I would go back to benefits until I got another job but My employer ( who was giving me 600 p/m) never gave me any pay slips or even p60 That you are meant to get after yo stop working or p 45 or any document. So I was stuck with not applying for benefits and not telling hmrc about stopping work. Now Last month I called HMRC and told them that I have just stopped working ( koz I was done with being scared that they would find out, But now I'm scared that they will still find out . They said ok and the changes will take place in 28 days. Now I'm sooooooo scared that they will find out That i havent worked since 10 months. There must be a system for them to find out right?? Though there was no paper work but my employer took my N.I number before I started working so I believe Im going to be in trouble soon. I also sent HMRC my tax form stating I was working the same. Please don't judge me and just tell me what should I do. I havent heard anythin from HMRC since I told them that I've stopped working. Nothing about an investigation or anything bad.

What should I do now? Will they definitely find out that I wasn't working? Or should I just stay quiet and let the matter die as they know I'm not working anymore. Or should I just confess and may be they will b lenient that way

PLEASE HELP

MrsT now has her own thread which can be found using the link below.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?391568-Mrst-tax-credits-incorrectly-claiming

Edited by citizenB

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Hi scotgal

But I have now requested a joint application. Do I need to supply every date where he came and went? I've got my bank statements showing I had my wages paid in every month to pay the bills doi send hat in also, if so how many months worth, or the whole 3 years? Also, regarding bills, do I need a copy of each bill for each month sending in for the past 3 years?

sorry just still I bit unsure how I'm leading it.