Yorkshire Water Plumbing & Drainage Insurancs

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5247 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Last friday I had the misfortune to have a water leak in the bathroom;so I dug out the Insurance policy which stated that we were covered for up to 2 claims per year, and if the plumber didnt arrive in 2 hours after making the call I could claim the premium back. I rang the number on the policy, it was a to a company called homeserve, that was at approx 2-45pm. At 6-45 the plumber arrived apologised for taking so long to get here, I showed him the leak which was in a cupboard. he then asked me if I had a torch so he could see it properly ( what kind of plumber doesnt have a torch ) He took one look at the leak and said he couldnt mend it has he did not have the appropriate part with him. He then rang his boss to tell him that he could not do the job and would have to come back on the monday. he also told him that that would make it 2 journeys and he would only get paid for one and he wasn't happy about it. He then asked me if he could borrow a knife ( what for I dont know ) so I had to leave leave the bathroom to get one. When I got back he said I've found another leak it was on a capping nut on another pipe it took him a matter of seconds to tighten it up. He then said his boss wanted to speak to me. his boss told me that as he had found a 2nd leak it would constitute another claim so I could not claim again on this policy.I said I think thats stupid he replied thats the way the policy works. the leak was fixed on Monday and no doubt the plumber gets paid for the 2 call outs.I have written a complaint letter to Homeserve. has anyone else experienced anything else like this

I doubt that very much. If your w/machine breaks down, and the engineer find that the motor is gone, then sees that the coin trap is blocked, would that make it 2 claims? No. It is ONE occurrence of the w/machine breaking down. Or if you get burgled, is it 2 claims to have the door fixed AND your TV replaced? Of course not.

See what they reply to your letter first. Have a thorough read of your insurance docs as well to see what constitutes a claim according to them, and take it from there. It may be that you'll need to go to the Ombudsman for arbitration, or maybe not.

I would also cast some serious doubts on the 2nd leak, which you hadn't seen, although you obviously had had a good look at the pipes, and appeared quite by magic, with no proof beyond the plumber's word. "Oh, there was another leak, I've fixed it now"??? That stinks, IMO. A proper reputable plumber would have said: "there's another leak here, I'll show you, I'll sort it out now".

The more I think of it, the more I am dubious about the whole 2 claims thing. Double-check your policy wording, post it here if you need help.

I received a phone phone call today from Homeserve's Customer Relations, they said they fully agree with my letter of complaint and as a result they will refund my premium of £64 and also cancel the second claim.

I think that was a good result, 12 months free plumbing & drainage insurance.

My faith in complaining has been retored

• 2 years later...

I have recently had to ask for HomeServe Plumbing and Drainage (as promoted to me by Yorkshire Water) to attend because of a leaking tank. I am a paid up member of several years standing.

I wasn't sure if I would be covered, but they told me that I was. Bearing in mind that they advertise a two-hour response time it is staggering that I have been waiting for a month for a response. (Will it ever end?)

I have called them innumerable times, waited in for non-existent personnel to make house calls that have not materialised. I have been lied to many times and each of the two companies that together call themselves 'HomeServe' blame the other.

If you value your mental health, DO NOT take up any insurance with HomeServe!!

My dealings with them are definitely having an adverse effect on my sanity.

Please heed my warning!!! I am not joking!!

• 3 weeks later...

As I'm in the industry discussed in this thread, there are a number of points:

1) Response times are designed to keep you hooked in. If they say it will take 2 weeks, you will go elsewhere. Legally, there is very little you can do unless you have a written appointment. Verbal indications of attendance can be dismissed (van broke down, on another job, etc etc)

2) If signing up to agreements such as Plumbing and Drainage cover, or heating cover, only do so with a company who is FSA regulated. The FSA come down very hard on those accredited if they make a mistake, and fines are massive. If you are with an FSA company (Homeserve is by the way), attempt to resolve cleanly first, and if no joy, send a letter advising of a reasonable (ie 14 days) timescale for expected resolution, or you will be informing of the FSA of their neglet of duty in "Treating CUstomers Fairly". This is the FSA buzzword of the moment, and guaranteed to get action.

3) Read the exclusions on your policy! You will certainly not be covered for every eventuality, but loopholes exist - mains supply water pipes being lead, not copper is a prime example. The insurer will not want to pay out for relaying pipework to current standard, then making your driveway nice and pretty if they can help it.

4) Home Emergency INsurance policies have a claim rate of 2-5%. Therefore for every 100 policies they sign up, only 5 will make a claim. Calculate how much you spend a year and times that by a hundred. Then times that amount by 5. Whats the difference (ie the PROFIT to the company)? SO do not make unreasonable demands, they will have factored in extraordinary claims.

5) Apart from home insurance covers, if you need a tradesperson - go local, and word of mouth is best by a long shot! Find the small advert in the yellow pages, on the web and ring them. The big nationals subcontract - they will pay the contractor the same as that contractor would charge you, but they charge you extra to pay for call centres, big glossy adverts, and of course, profit.

Many thanks for your very helpful posting. What you say makes a lot of sense; basically they are only interested in fixing occasional minor problems, and it seems they have a well rehearsed system for fobbing you off if there is any real chance of having to do anything significant.

It has taken HomeServe a month of (still!) ongoing leak from the attic tank to tell me that I am not insured; if they had told me that on day one that would have been fine. The ceiling is now in a real mess, it has not YET collapsed!

Currently seeking arbitration from the Ombudsman, will invoke FSA, as you suggest, if no joy. I will indeed tell the FSA that HomeServe have failed completely to 'treat customers fairly'.

DEFINITELY the worst company I have ever had the misfortune to deal with!! I have also written to Yorkshire Water as the package is labelled 'HomeServe with Yorkshire Water'. Surely Yorkshire Water should feel some responsibility?

HomeServe is bad for your health!!

Hey Flying G,

You won't be alone in this scenario.

My best advice at this stage is to write a letter - not a rant - to Homeserve laying out in detail your grievances if you havent done so already.

Any records you have of who you spoke to and when will significantly help. So many people complain saying they spoke to someone or other on this day or that - the best company in the world will struggle to satisfy your issues if they cannot investigate fully.

Maybe a bit "after the horse is bolted", but any information you can give (check your phone bill?) will help. FSA regulated companies have to record calls for "training and monitoring purposes". Provide in detail that you registered the claim in good faith, and re-iterate what you have detailed in your last post - the lack of decisiveness in validating or repudiating your claim is not good customer service and is not a good example of "Treating Customers Fairly".

In this letter, you will need to detail what you expect from the company - be reasonable! Demanding £500 for "stress" will get you nowhere. Explaining you have spent £20 on calls before they rejected your claim (and being able to prove it), and all the while the fault worsened threatening the integrity of your property and possessions will be considered. Are you on a water meter? Recompense for this could be considered as well (again - be reasonable).

The FSA will be expecting this kind of information. Homeserve will have the "exclusion clause" to fall back on (and you agreed to this by the way), but the delay and threat to property is the area to focus on. Take photos! Photographic evidence (date stamped if your camera has this facility are highly recommended - I have seen complaints and thought that it was mountain out of a molehill, then seen photos and from a corporate perspective, freaked out!) is superb.

As for Yorkshire Water, you have very little recourse from them I would imagine. Your contract is with Homeserve - they have an agreement with every water authority to promote their service via the billing system and are not contracted by Yorkshire to undertake the policy. Its different to Home Insurance - Direct Line contract repair works out for example. Yorkshire just permit Homeserve to promote the policy through them (its kind of an unendorsed promotion - "not our problem, it was your choice to sign up"). It may have a cumulative effect if hundreds complained, but don't forget - you're lumbered with your water supplier. They are not incentivised to deliver superb customer service because you have no alternative, so you are likely to be palmed off I'm afraid.

Good luck with the Ombudsman. The "Treating Customers Fairly" route is your best course of action. The notion of "TCF" is a bain to the FSA Regulated!

All the Best!:) And sorry for the waffling reply:wink:

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for you very helpful advice. Have now informed HomeServe that I will write to the FSA to inform them that I do not feel that I have been treated fairly.

I have only ever asked HomeServe that they honour their original promise to replace my small leaking plastic tank, but now with the added request that they make good the ceiling damaged by the delay. Surely it can't be that big a deal?

I have sent HomeServe a CD on which are the conversations that I recorded (not done that before but it did feel that I was being treated extremely badly!).

I wait with expectation!

Thanks again for your help.

I still believe HomeServe is bad for one's health!!