Patricia Pearl - Small Claims Procedure - A Practical Guide

An excellent guide for the layperson in how to use the County Court - a must if you are intending to start a claim.

£19.99 + £1.50 (P&P)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3
FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Classic Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Make a contribution
    old bill Informative old bill Informative old bill Informative old bill Informative old bill Informative old bill's Avatar

Follow Real_CAG on Twitter

Cagger since
    Mar 2012
    I am in
    Somewhere In The Universe

Default Re: Help with Bailiffs Please

Platinum Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Make a donation
    hallowitch Authoritative hallowitch Authoritative hallowitch Authoritative hallowitch Authoritative hallowitch Authoritative hallowitch Authoritative hallowitch Authoritative hallowitch Authoritative hallowitch Authoritative hallowitch Authoritative hallowitch Authoritative hallowitch's Avatar

Cagger since
    Nov 2008

the is no provision in legislation for these fees

Bailiffs are governed by the distress for rent rules 1988 and regulation 10 clearly states
    Fees, Charges and Expenses

10. No person shall be entitled to charge, or recover from, a tenant any fees, charges or expenses for levying a distress, or for doing any act or thing in relation thereto, other than those authorised by the tables in Appendix 1 to these Rules.

Appendix 1 being regulation 45 (b) schedule 5 charges connected with distress

card charge £1.00
    card charges£3.50
    girobook charge £5.82

Site Team ploddertom Authoritative ploddertom Authoritative ploddertom Authoritative ploddertom Authoritative ploddertom Authoritative ploddertom Authoritative ploddertom Authoritative ploddertom Authoritative ploddertom Authoritative ploddertom Authoritative ploddertom Authoritative ploddertom's Avatar

Cagger since
    May 2009
    I am in
    Cloud Cuckoo Land

Further to what HW has said above this is actually backed up by case law - Day v Davies 1938 1 All ER 686. The part of it being " for doingany act in relation (to a levy), other than those specified and authorised", this was handed down from the Court of Appeal.

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

New Bailiff Fees from 6 April 2014

Initial Letter Fee = £75-00
    Enforcement Visit Fee = £235

Follows
    Following

Classic Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Make a contribution
    outlawla Informative outlawla Informative outlawla Informative outlawla Informative outlawla's Avatar

Cagger since
    Apr 2010

Quote Originally Posted by distressed diane View Post
    hi sorry i havnt been on for a while. i sent the letter to both rochdale council and to equita. i altered it a little i never heard anything back from equita but i got a phone callicon from thecomplaints manager today. he said that he has spoken to equita and wants to meet me on monday so we discuss the matter futher face to face. im hoping that this is a good sign and maybe i might get somewhere. i will keep you posted on monday so thanks for the help with the letter much appreiciated
    Bit late responding to this post, but very interested in what the next level of B.S the council had to offer on Monday.

Any news?

Basic Account Holder distressed diane Novitiate

Cagger since
    Jun 2012

hello all. sorry i havent been on here for a while but my pc wasnt working. firstly may i thank everyone for all your help and advice and for helping me with the letter to write. i met with the man from rochdale council and he got intouch with equita who have agreed to fefund all my fees that i was charged £394. in total they actualy called it a good will gesture. then i have been offered £85 not to persue it any further. i was going to leave it there as i didnt think i could go any further but the council tax guy told as i has taken out a loan back in september to pay them as they were harassing me that i may be able to ask them to pay my interesticon charges back as well.i will let yo know if i get it.
    the guy i met with said that he was glad that i got in touch as they only get to hear about things like this if people actualy make a complaint so again thanks for pointing me in the right direction x

Classic Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Make a contribution
    old bill Informative old bill Informative old bill Informative old bill Informative old bill Informative old bill's Avatar

Cagger since
    Mar 2012
    I am in

Quote Originally Posted by distressed diane View Post
    hello all. sorry i havent been on here for a while but my pc wasnt working. firstly may i thank everyone for all your help and advice and for helping me with the letter to write. i met with the man from rochdale council and he got intouch with equita who have agreed to fefund all my fees that i was charged £394. in total they actualy called it a good will gesture. then i have been offered £85 not to persue it any further. i was going to leave it there as i didnt think i could go any further but the council tax guy told as i has taken out a loan back in september to pay them as they were harassing me that i may be able to ask them to pay my interesticon charges back as well.i will let yo know if i get it.
    the guy i met with said that he was glad that i got in touch as they only get to hear about things like this if people actualy make a complaint so again thanks for pointing me in the right direction x
    Let's hope that when the contract comes up for its periodic review, the council serve them with a Default Notice (the equivalent of a Yellow Card in football). Depending on the council's policy, if Equita collect too many of these in a given period of time, the council could revoke their contract.

Classic Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Make a contribution
    wonkeydonkey Highly informative wonkeydonkey Highly informative wonkeydonkey Highly informative wonkeydonkey Highly informative wonkeydonkey Highly informative wonkeydonkey Highly informative wonkeydonkey Highly informative wonkeydonkey's Avatar

Cagger since
    Mar 2009
    I am in
    rural northumberland

In other words Equita have been caught out and this is not a 'good will gesture' it is an admission they tried to defraud you...£85 compensation for the time you spent having to correct their maladministration is Imho an insult. They should not have to be chased to pay interesticon and charges on the loan , they should be able to identify it was their actions that forced you to take out that loan.

Well done on getting this far and I suspect you will be placed to hit their pockets hard?

WD

Classic Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Make a contribution
    outlawla Informative outlawla Informative outlawla Informative outlawla Informative outlawla's Avatar

Cagger since
    Apr 2010

Excellent!

Well done for persisting.

It seems like they're going out of their way to keep this under wraps by the way they're offering to buy you off.

Keep us updated...

EDIT:

Good will gesture. Yeh right!

They all try that psychological nonsense.

Follows
    Following

Platinum Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Make a donation
    hallowitch Authoritative hallowitch Authoritative hallowitch Authoritative hallowitch Authoritative hallowitch Authoritative hallowitch Authoritative hallowitch Authoritative hallowitch Authoritative hallowitch Authoritative hallowitch Authoritative hallowitch Authoritative hallowitch's Avatar

Cagger since
    Nov 2008

WELL DONE YOU

Tell him (the man from the council) you will not take any further action if council issue a form 5 against the bailiff(s) who charged you the levy fee and van attendance fee on the same day
    1) because he didn't leave a notice of seizure at the time of the levy (a legal requirement)
    2) because he charged a van/attendance fee on the same day as the levy (legislation does not allow this)

the compensation payment is increased (£100/150)
    AL interesticon and charges on the loan paid in full

Site Team ploddertom Authoritative ploddertom Authoritative ploddertom Authoritative ploddertom Authoritative ploddertom Authoritative ploddertom Authoritative ploddertom Authoritative ploddertom Authoritative ploddertom Authoritative ploddertom Authoritative ploddertom Authoritative ploddertom's Avatar

Cagger since
    May 2009
    I am in
    Cloud Cuckoo Land

I second what Hallowitch has suggested with the proviso that any compensation should start at £500.

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

New Bailiff Fees from 6 April 2014

Initial Letter Fee = £75-00
    Enforcement Visit Fee = £235

Follows
    Following

Classic Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Make a contribution

Cagger since
    Mar 2012
    I am in

Has this been reported to OFT Credit Fitness Team yet? They are likely to dance all over their heads for this.

Platinum Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Make a donation
    brassnecked Highly informative brassnecked Highly informative brassnecked Highly informative brassnecked Highly informative brassnecked Highly informative brassnecked Highly informative brassnecked Highly informative brassnecked's Avatar

Cagger since
    Nov 2009
    I am in
    I am on the Dark Side Of The Moon

interesticon paid an compensation as per hallow and ploddertom, i back the £500, and oldbill's suggestion of complaint to OFT about Credit fitness.

The bailiff: A 12th Century solution re-branded as Enforcement Agents for the 21st Century to seize and sell debtors goods as before Oh so Dickensian!
    Follows
    Following

Viewing CAG on a small screen? Switch to the mobile version of the site

Reclaim the Right Ltd. - reg.05783665 in the UK reg. office:- 923 Finchley Road London NW11 7PE