Bad experience with NatWest

vUnhappy
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4221 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have just sent this to the NatWest complaints department, but I thought I'd post it here too so that people can see how bad their service is. Here it is:

I am a mature student and I have just finished university. I have just taken a new job and I was looking to open up a new current account with NatWest. This was largely because a friend has told me your online banking was good and I've had major problems trying to get my existing Barclay's account to work online at all (after literally 7 failed attempts I've given up, they simply can't seem to sort it out so I'm changing banks).

I first tried to create an account online, and that seemed to work. I was sent the following email yesterday (12/06/2012):

-----------------------------------------------------

Dear Mr *****

Thank you for your application

We're pleased to confirm that we've received your application for our Select account.

Please note your application reference number: **********

What you need to do now

We need to confirm some additional information about you. Below you'll find details of the documents we need to see. All you need to do is bring them to your local branch along with your application reference. We've saved all the details you've given us so far, and your customer advisor will be able to help you to complete the application process quickly and easily.

Bringing your documents into a branch is the quickest and easiest way to complete your application. For details of your nearest branch, use our branch locator.

Can't get to a branch?

If you're not able to visit a branch, you can send the documents we need by post. This does not include valuable documents such as your passport.

We've sent you a letter explaining how to post documents to us, together with a prepaid envelope for you to use. The letter also explains what you need to do with the documents that can't be posted.

The documents we need from you

Please note that we can only accept originals - we can't accept copies, even if verified.

To complete your application, we are legally required to confirm your identity and where you live. To do this, we need to see one item from Table A and one from Table B:

Table A

(to confirm your identity)

Table B

(to confirm your current address)

Current signed Passport

EU National ID Card

Current full UK photocard driving licence

Current full UK driving licence (old style paper version)

UK Armed Forces ID card

Police Warrant Card

From HM Revenue and Customs:

Coding Notice or Demand Notice

Disabled Persons Tax Credit Notice

National Insurance contributions account statement

From the Department for Work and Pensions, notification of your entitlement to:

Child Benefit

Working Tax Credit

Child Tax Credit

Pension

Disability Living Allowance

Income Support

Incapacity Benefit

Only if you are under 20

Birth certificate

NHS medical card

A statement (no more than 6 months old) from your:

Bank

Building society

Credit card provider

Mortgage provider

A utility bill (no more than 6 months old) for your home e.g. gas / electricity / water / telephone / cable services / satellite TV. We can't accept your mobile phone bill or TV licence as proof of your address.

A document from your local authority (no more than 12 months old, valid for the current or the upcoming financial year):

Council Tax bill or demand

Rent Book/Card

Don't have all the documents you need?

For a full list of valid documents, go to [won't let me post links because I'm new - deleted]

What happens next?

Once we've checked the document(s), we will complete your application and as long as everything is in order we will confirm your new account details.

We’re here to help

If you have any questions about your application, ask at your local branch or call us on 0845 3030 299. Calls may be recorded.

Yours sincerely

Signature

Allan Hardie

Current Accounts

---------------------------------------------------------

So all seemed well. As I said, I have just finished university. I am still living on campus for another week, so I went into the NatWest branch in High Wycombe, which is the nearest to the university. I took my passport and a bank statement for my Barclays account from last month with my home address on it (which is the one I provided above, in Putney).

Upon arriving, I gave them the number provided in your email to me and they told me that it was not showing up on their system. I asked the woman behind the desk if it would be alright opening the account in Wycombe, when I actually live in Putney and would be moving home next week. She said that it did not matter.

This was further backed up by the email you sent me, which said:

"Bringing your documents into a branch is the quickest and easiest way to complete your application."

Clearly implying any branch would do. Since they couldn't find my online application in their system, despite me already having the confirmation email (which I showed to them on my Android), they photocopied my documents and told me someone would call me the next day.

The next day (this morning) I was called up and told that the online application had vanished into the ether and that I would have to come in and set the account up manually. I made an appointment for 4pm.

At 5 minutes to 4pm, I went into the bank and no one was at the front desk. So I waited patiently for someone to come and assist me. I waited a full 25 minutes, till 4:20pm before a man came out of an office and asked if he could help me. I told him I had an appointment for 4pm and he said someone would be right with me.

At 4:30pm, half an hour after the agreed appointment time, a woman finally appeared from the back and came to help me. I saw no less than 4 different people come in, wait at the front desk, get angry and then walk out between 3:55 and 4:30. I considered doing the same thing but I wanted to get my account sorted out so I waited.

So I went into this lady's office and after going through the required legal speech she looked at my documents and noticed that I live in Putney. I said yes, as I already told the other lady yesterday, I have just finished university and I will be going back home in a week. She said that I should open the account in Putney, not in the Wycombe branch.

That really was the last straw for me. I was told twice, once by your email which I have shown above and then again by a member of staff that the branch did not matter. I specifically asked this question the day before so that my time would not be wasted.

And now I am told that, in fact, my time has been wasted and that both your online service and the Wycombe local branch are completely useless to me.

At this point, it was 4:40 and I'd had enough so I left. You may be interested to note that I walked out of NatWest and straight into HSBC, which just up the road. I went online on my Android to the HSBC site, applied for a current account with them, got a similar email to the one you sent me about a minute later, showed my documents to the lady behind the counter (they actually had someone serving people, unlike your bank did today) and managed to get everything done before 5pm. The fact that I was moving back to Putney in a week didn't bother them a bit.

That's less than 20 minutes. I waited longer than that at NatWest for someone to even acknowledge my presence and I had an appointment!

I don't expect a response, but I thought you should know why I am angry. I can only imagine how many others feel exactly the same as I do but couldn't be bothered to write out a lengthy complaint. I know I saw several of them storm out of your Wycombe branch today because there was no one working the front desk.

Terrible service, employees giving me contradictory information, and ultimately wasting huge amounts of my time. Appalling.

It would be nice if others were to make a complaint such as you have, sadly they dont and the banks continue to get away with treating customers with contempt.

NatWest is part of the RBS group, isnt it - along with Halifax, LTSB - they are part owned by the tax payer and we all know what banks think of the taxpayer !!

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

I've been studying for the last few years and so I haven't had to deal with any banks for quite a while. I really could not believe how bad the service was. Worst I have ever experienced in my life. And watching person after person walk in, get angry that no one was around and then walk out is something I won't soon forget. How any bank that operates like this is still in business is beyond me...

Chances are that any NatWest bank you might have chosen to use would be closed by the end of this year anyway.. Although I see HSBC also have a closure programme in place - 135 branches of HSBC, Natwest and RBS will go by the end of 2012.

http://www.thinkmoney.com/banking/news/bank-branches-closing-at-rapid-rate-0-5393.htm

http://www.lovemoney.com/news/the-economy-politics-and-your-job/the-economy/14643/five-bank-branches-to-close-each-week

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

BCOBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

:/

So maybe HSBC wasn't the best to go with... At least they were quick and helpful though.

What do you think is the best bank to go with right now? One that won't treat me like a peon and might still be in business in 10 years time preferably.

I signed your petition. I also remember when there was all that news about the unfair bank charges and banks possibly being forced to refund people who were treated unjustly. That was so long ago I hadn't even started university yet. I'll share it on Facebook too and see if I can't get you some more from my friends. Pretty sure they will all unanimously support it.

Hmm, best bank to go with.. that is a real hard question.

I am advised that a Building society is probably a good idea.

I would not personally recommend.. Halifax, Santander, NatWest, LTSB, RBS or HSBC.

The Co-op are expanding - there are good and bad reports.

Nationwide, I hear good things about them.

I believe there is a list of banks with ratings. I will try and find it for you.

BCOBS

Here you go. Have a look and see what level of complaints the different banks have and what type of complaint. That way you can make an informed decision.

The complaints data is linked at the bottom of the report

http://www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/news/updates/complaints-data-July-Dec-2011.html

The FOS publish these quarterly as its now compulsary for banks to record complaints numbers' date='and the data for resolving them.[/quote']

BCOBS

:thumb:

BCOBS

citizenB, what are the bad reports about Co-op?

I would stay clear of Natwest. As citizenB confirms, I find the Natwest branches falling to decrepitude, the furniture is from the 80's at best, they are always almost empty and the employees don't give a hoot. All bad signs.

jimmyley, in post 8 there is a link to the FOS bank complaints data - have a look at that and you will see any complaints made agains the Co-op

Here, I brought it forward for you..

quote_icon.png Originally Posted by MARTIN3030;

Sorry its every 6

http://www.financial-ombudsman.org.u...-Dec-2011.html

BCOBS

• 2 weeks later...

Call that a horror story! LOL

I initially applied to open a new account with NatWest online, however, at the very end of the process it just stopped.

I eventually came to the conclusion that they had realised I use Linux and decided that they didn't want customers who could think.

So I telephoned. process complete, they would send me a letter. letter arrived stating what id they wanted.

Problem is my "main" account I run on an almost zero balance. So to get a "picture" of my finances I needed to show them two accounts. One showing my d/d's, the other my money. Problem is one is 8 sheets per month and the other six. I also sent them a copy of my ISA account ... that's a lot of copies.

I got a nice letter, they were processing. then I received a rejection. When I rang them they said that I "had tried to change my name". Pardon! Really? I supposed it was because I had said that my current cards (with RBS who own NatWest) all show an abbreviated form of my first name and I had asked if they could do the same.

She was really snotty, saying that it didn't matter and I would need to visit a branch to open an account (starting all over again).

So I spent ten minutes making an appointment (to visit a bank?).

The big day arrived, I went to the bank. No reception so I queued at the tills ... only to be told "just wait" (and a jesture to the other side of the room). So I sat and waited. 40 minutes after my appointment time I was eventually seen by the new account person. All very pleasant and positive ending with being told by the person opening my account that the manager was off that day but he was back the following day, he would phone me after he had spoken to the manager. That was on 14 May.

I tried to chase it about the end of May. However, remember bank branches no longer have telephones. So I had to call some sort of "contact" number, explain everything to them and get them to pass a message to the actual branch for them to call me back (Telco's must be laughing their heads off).

At 4pm on 19 june I dialed the contact number again. Again I explained everything. Again they would contact the branch and ask them to phone me - this time urgently.

Guess what!

Still nowt!

No letter.

No calls!

NOWT!

tbh I was just going to write this up and send it to their CEO when last weeks "fun" happened

- I do wish I had the power to make the problem happen every week!

p.s.

I really can't be bothered writing all this down for the NatWest CEO so I have decided simply to copy it to him.

Edited by h8_Halifax
added the p.s.

Regards from sunny Notlob, Lancs UK

Man invented language to satisfy his deep need to complain.

Lily Tomlin

i have been more than impressed, pleased and surprised by first direct and their service. i actually cannot believe that i am actually happy with and even proud of my bank, it just cannot be true?! but it is. one example i have is when i was on holiday in portugal, realised i had not set up a payment to my flatmate for our monthly rent. i phoned first direct, and within 6 minutes, SIX!! from dialling to hanging up, i had transferred money from my savings acc into my current acc, and back out to my flatmate. i think i've been with them for just over a year now, and not a single issue. the above link to the ombudsman's log of banking complaints don't show them up either. i am happy.

UPDATE:

Call that a horror story! LOL ...

Look what i got:

GCR - Executive Support ✆ [email protected]

Dear Mr Bonzo Dog Doodah,

Thank you for your email which has been received by Stephen Hester's office.

I am sorry to hear of the problems you have encountered recently. In view of your comments, we have asked for a full briefing from those involved. Once this is received, your complaint will be allocated to a case manager who will be in touch within the next two weeks.

We will aim to get a response out to you as soon as we can but we also want to make sure that a thorough investigation takes place. If, for any reason, there looks like being a delay, we will, of course, write to you again to explain why.

If you do have any queries in the meantime, please feel free to contact us.

Yours sincerely

Group Executive Office

Edited by h8_Halifax
replace [code] with [quote]

Lily Tomlin

I have been with Natwest for over 30 years and they were fine until they were taken over by RBS. Since then, they have been as described above. If they are closing NW branches in favour of RBS, then I'm off.

• 2 months later...

So I just got a response from Natwest and I thought I'd update my post.

While it did take them several months to get back to me (with a letter every now and then telling me they hadn't forgotten and were still looking into my complaint) they sent me a formal apology a few days ago, and a cheque for £110 in compensation.

As annoyed as I was with them for the wasted time and poor service, this is considerably more than I expected (I didn't expect any money to be perfectly honest).

In short, I think that they can safely add me to the list of people who's complaints were resolved in my favour and I am quite happy with the outcome in the end. I'm glad they took my complaint seriously and felt the need to make amends.

Hopefully they will improve their branch service in future, but I approve of their method for dealing with complaints.

So I just got a response from Natwest and I thought I'd update my post.

While it did take them several months to get back to me (with a letter every now and then telling me they hadn't forgotten and were still looking into my complaint) they sent me a formal apology a few days ago, and a cheque for £110 in compensation.

As annoyed as I was with them for the wasted time and poor service, this is considerably more than I expected (I didn't expect any money to be perfectly honest).

In short, I think that they can safely add me to the list of people who's complaints were resolved in my favour and I am quite happy with the outcome in the end. I'm glad they took my complaint seriously and felt the need to make amends.

Hopefully they will improve their branch service in future, but I approve of their method for dealing with complaints.

I would like to add my thanks to NatWest too. Yes, i did have a problem. Yes, i did make a complaint. However, their resolution was excellent! I now have an account with NW, Visa debit card and pin have both arrived and I have just returned the activation slip. Furthermore, they, i.e. Mr Hester's office, have sent me a cheque for £100 PLUS a lovely hamper in a huge "Red Riding Hood" style basket. Lets hope that the big bad wolf doesn't slip back into his old ways ...

Lily Tomlin