Patricia Pearl - Small Claims Procedure - A Practical Guide

An excellent guide for the layperson in how to use the County Court - a must if you are intending to start a claim.

£19.99 + £1.50 (P&P)

+ Reply to Thread
    Basic Account Holder TheDude1 Novitiate TheDude1's Avatar

Follow Real_CAG on Twitter

Cagger since
    Apr 2009
    I am in
    dos

Default Miscalculated Interest (APR) on Credit Card

Hi

I've added everything up from all statements.... is something wrong here or have I missed something?

Total Purchases Made:

Total Charges:
    297.50 (late fees etc)

TOTAL 2842.94

Total interesticon Charged:

The card was on different interest rates:
    monthly 1.385 - APR 17.9%
    monthly 1.527 - APR 19.9%
    monthly 2.210 - APR 30.0%

When I calculate the percentage of "2842.94" to get "933.05", the percentage is 32.82%... Which is a rather high percentage. So overall for my purchases I have been charged 32.82% on top.

I've not seen any claims regarding over-calculated interest, so I'm probably wrong here but thought it was worth a post.

Follows
    Following

Site Team sequenci Authoritative sequenci Authoritative sequenci Authoritative sequenci Authoritative sequenci Authoritative sequenci Authoritative sequenci Authoritative sequenci Authoritative sequenci Authoritative sequenci Authoritative sequenci Authoritative sequenci's Avatar

Cagger since
    May 2006
    I am in
    it to win it
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Miscalculated Interest (APR) on Credit Card

How long as the card been open?

Cagger since
    Apr 2009
    I am in
    dos

Hi mate

2005: Credit Card account opened.
    2005 - 2008: Account Active
    2008: Account closed and sold to a DCA.
    2011: Judgment (CCJ)

Cheers

Site Team sequenci Authoritative sequenci Authoritative sequenci Authoritative sequenci Authoritative sequenci Authoritative sequenci Authoritative sequenci Authoritative sequenci Authoritative sequenci Authoritative sequenci Authoritative sequenci Authoritative sequenci's Avatar

Cagger since
    May 2006
    I am in
    it to win it
    Blog Entries

Did you calculate the interesticon from when the account was opened + compound the interest charges?

Cagger since
    Apr 2009
    I am in
    dos

Quote Originally Posted by sequenci View Post
    Did you calculate the interesticon from when the account was opened + compound the interest charges?
    Hi, I just added it all up from the statements (manually) and did the calculations from the results.
    Tomorrow I will use that very good spreadsheet (CISheet v101.xls)

I posted this thread with regards to the interest they charged me on my purchases, as according to my calculations sometimes I nail the fiquire bang on but other calculations are coming up short... I estimate that they have over-calculated the interest by roughly 80, but I've not seen anyone bring this up on CAGicon.

I've not seen a claim against mis-calculation of interest, though I did read an article earlier where the author estimates billions of 's have been reaped by the banks via over-calculation of interest.

Cheers

Follows
    Following

Cagger since
    May 2006
    I am in
    it to win it
    Blog Entries

Sounds like you're on the right track. Remember that interesticon accrues on interest with these things..

Cagger since
    Apr 2009
    I am in
    dos

Hi, thanks for the help!

I still can't get the fiquire they have achieved.

Statement Balance (inc interesticon)
    =1,708.73

Actual PURCHASES (not inc interest)
    =1453.13

Statement Interest Charged
    =237.92

Compound Interest
    =17.68

TOTAL INTEREST CHARGED
    =255.60
    Having tried a few combinations, the closest I can get to the interest charged is this:
    1453.13 minus 17.68 = 1435.45
    17.9% of 1435.45 = 256.94

I have a headache now!

Site Team The Consumer Action Group ims21 Highly authoritative ims21 Highly authoritative ims21 Highly authoritative ims21 Highly authoritative ims21 Highly authoritative ims21 Highly authoritative ims21 Highly authoritative ims21 Highly authoritative ims21 Highly authoritative ims21 Highly authoritative ims21 Highly authoritative ims21's Avatar

Cagger since
    Feb 2011
    I am in
    excellent spirits

You will have to analyse this month by month rather than adding up the total for the account.

Also remember that interesticon is charged on interest and that interest is charged on late payment fees and over limit fees.

Also remember that credit cards have interest charges applied with relevance to a charging period and from the date purchases were made.

You'll also need to know which items are paid off first when you make a payment to the account

You'll have a lot of work to do on this exercise.

ims

If I have helped you please leave me a message by clicking my star

1. Single Premium PPI Q&A Read Here
    2. Reclaim mis-sold PPI Read Here
    3. Reclaim Loan & Credit Card Charges Read Here
    4. The CAG Interest Tutorial Read Here
    5. Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here
    6. Staying Calm About Debt Read Here
    7. Thinking of a Full & Final Settlement? Read Here

How To Upload Documents To Cag Instructions

I DON'T GIVE ADVICE BY PM BUT IF YOU SEND ME A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER HELP THERE

Private message facilities are offered for users to communicate issues that are perhaps inappropriate for posting on the main forum. Site rules explain this in more detail.

If you receive a private message which you consider abusive, derogatory or otherwise inappropriate, whether it be about yourself or other members, please report it using the "report" icon

If you are approached (or have been approached) by private message with an offer of help "Off Forum" or with a view to asking you to visit another website, please inform the site team via the report icon, especially if this results in a request for a fee. Remember, this is for your own protection

my views are my own and are given in good faith to try and help people. Please seek professional advice on your case if necessary

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING
    EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Follows
    Following

Cagger since
    Apr 2009
    I am in
    dos

Hi ims, thanks for dropping by!
    Thanks for the info,

Yeah, I already spent 4 hours inputting it all into the spreadsheet!

Alot more complicated than I thought and I don't think I have the brain capacity to carry on!
    I very much doubt they miscalculated it, so I'll let it drop.

Thanks again for your time

Viewing CAG on a small screen? Switch to the mobile version of the site

Reclaim the Right Ltd. - reg.05783665 in the UK reg. office:- 923 Finchley Road London NW11 7PE