• Tweets

• Paragraph 18 – you are still talking about Boston stolen items. About time this was fixed??? Paragraph 19  In any event, the claimant's PS5 gaming device was correctly declared and correctly valued. The defendant accepted it for carriage and was even prepared to earn extra money by selling sell insurance in case of its loss or damage. New paragraph 20 – this the defendant routinely sells insurance in respect of "no compensation" items (a secondary contract contrary to section 72 CRA 2015) new paragraph above paragraph 20 – the defendant purports to limit its liability in respect of lost or damaged items. This is contrary to section 57 of the consumer rights act 2015. The defendant offers to extend their liability if their customer purchases an insurance cover for an extra sum of money. This insurance is a secondary contract calculated to exclude or limit their liability for the defendants contractual breaches and is contrary to section 72 of the consumer rights act 2015. New paragraph below paragraph 42 – the defendant merely relies on "standard industry practice" You haven't pointed to the place in your bundle of the Telegraph newspaper extract. You have to jiggle the paragraphs around. Even though I have suggested new paragraph numbers, the order I have suggested is on your existing version 5. You will have to work it out for your next version. Good luck!   Let's see version 6 Separately, would you be kind enough to send me an unredacted to me at our admin email address.
    • UK travellers have been turned away at airports because their passports are not valid for EU travel.View the full article
    • i think theres been MORE than amble evidence of that and am astonished that criminal proceedings haven't begun.
    • Yep, those 'requirements' not met to shareholders satisfaction seem to me to be: 1. Not being allowed to increase customer bills by 40% (of which well over 50% of the new total would NOT be investment) 2. 1 plus regulators not agreeing to letting them do 'things in their own time (ie carry on regardless)
    • As already mentioned freely available "credit scores" are fairly useless. All lenders have their own "credit scoring" system, that for obvious reasons they don't divulge. And they're "scored" differently to the freely available ones. As soon as they could, we've always encouraged our two children to use credit cards responsibly... Pay off in full, etc, to generate good history. It's paid off. At quite young ages, they have both obtained loans for cars, mortgage and their credit card limits are through the roof. Personally, I have shifted debt around a lot on credit cards (even financed a house purchase once at 0% 😉) and I've only ever been refused a credit card once, sorry twice by the same company, over many years. They must have something very different in their lending criteria. You're a tight one, Mr Branson.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Help required with keeping in contact with employer whilst off sick

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4275 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi can anyone advise me on this question. I have been off sick since January because of Spinal Stenosis and am awaiting seeing a spinal surgeon. My employer has now told me that I have a responsibility to contact them on a fortnightly basis and keep them updated on my sick situation. Bearing in mind I was signed off for six months and have already had the sick note until the end of July and they are fully aware of the reason why. They have now decided in their wisdom to contact the Occupational Health Doctor AGAIN and ask him why his last report to them did not give them enough information, the reason is because they never waited for that information before sending me to see him in the first place. I feel harassed because I am off sick and do not need emails reminding me to ring in every two weeks and speak to a complete moron of a Line Manager who does not give a monkeys about me at all!. Anyone heard of this two week ring in rule? I would appreciate it if someone knew about it.

What will be will be and none of us can change the course of history or human nature:wink:

Yes I unfortunately had that too and I had to then wait another 9 months and they did not like his, then sent records to someone without an assessment who said I was better without assessment, daft. It is a shame it happens

It all depends on your organisations sickness policy. When I managed a service any staff had to phone in every 2nd shift for first week then it was assessed per individual. 9 out of 10 times staff had to call every 10 days with a check in.

I have read my companies Sickness Policy and no where does it state that an employee has to ring in every two weeks. I have challenged my Manager regarding this and quoted book and chapter to which he glossed over it and just said please could I ensure that I make regular contact with my Line Manager.

What he didn't realise was that I did indeed have the sickness policy here on my laptop should I need to refer back to it and thank heavens I did.

I fully expect to go down the Capability Dismissal route at some stage or other but it seems to me as if my company makes up the rules as they go along and don't read the policies like I do! in actual fact I rang my Line Manager regarding something 3 weeks ago and he was not in the office at the time, I asked that he return my call at some point but he never did.

Edited by Fairywings54

What will be will be and none of us can change the course of history or human nature:wink:

Could you just send an email every couple of weeks if you dont want to speak to anyone, just saying that you are still waiting for appointment or you have a new sick note or whatever, most companies like you to keep in touch when on long term sick so its not that unreasonable if it keeps them happy. Also some companies are reluctant to call you email you as it could be considered harrasment but at the same time if they dont the employee could say I am being ignored.

it would be easier just to do it and then if at a later date you do go down the dissmissal route you can show that you have been reasonable.

If I have been of any help, please click on my star and let me know, thank you.

Thank you for your good advice assisted blonde, I have emailed my manager tonight and told him I am prepared to ring occasionally and talk to my Line Manager providing he returns my calls if he is not in the office to speak to me.

I have also agreed to provide an access to medical records report to the company occupational health doctor as requested. I was asked to provide proof of my disability (another thread before this) and I scanned in my blue badge so they now have proof and if that does not prove anything then nothing will.

The truth is I will never return to work for this particular company and am awaiting them to decide what they are going to do about me. To be perfectly honest with you my condition is so bad that I am in constant pain all the time and my doctor has said that my only medication that I could go on next is Morphine.

I have been given a letter off my Consultant too also stating that I cannot return to this job, just in case the need arises for me to use it.

Edited by Fairywings54

Thank you for your help transient, I will bear this in mind. I am a relatively new CAGGER and am grateful for the all the help and assistance that anyone can give me.

Edited by Fairywings54

Hello there.

I think transient was trying to ensure that you get as many replies as possible to your posts. Making them easy to read is always useful because some people, like transient and myself for instance, get put off by a wall of text and it's easy to just give up.

You have 24 hours to edit any post you make and want to change, using the Edit Post button on the bottom right of your post.

You haven't broken any site rules and it's entirely up to you, of course. :)

My best, HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

Hi just a quick thing about the morphine (been there done it) one of the meds i was on was fentanyl, but in addition to the patches which are slow release I was given Pecfent spray which provided instant pain relief, but it was better than moprphine for me as it didnt make me feel like a zombie.

Thank you assisted blonde for that I have never heard of Pecfent Spray before and will certainly ask the Doctor about it when I see him again. He has only offered me Morphine so I suppose I would not know any different. At the moment I am on Dihydrocodeine which only lasts for a certain amount of time and then wears off! I have never been this bad before with my back.

Pecfent spray is not commonly used but is absolutly brill, it was recommended by my palliative care Professor who is really on the ball with pain control, you may also find that the Dr might consider fentanoyl patches for your pain at a low dose and the spray to be used as a top up if you are hit by sudden spasms or extra pain, if you want any othert details PM me as I am not sure that this is the right place to discuss medication.

I am on morphine based pain killers. I tried the patches but found them ineffective and the side effects were horrible. I used to take Oxycontin SR (slow release) it lasts for 12 hours and gives a good level of pain relief without the zombie side effects, I was also prescribed oxynorm which is a fast acting pain killer for break through pain. My Pain consultant has just changed me to Tapentadol slow release and this is working better than the oxycontin.

Hiya

I personally am aware of this issue arising. In the two cases I know of, the two week contact rule can apply. If however your GP/ATOS consultant states that this is excessive they can say suggest a "adjustment" which they consider as a reasonable comprimise. HR/Workplace managers do not like that as it takes away their control over you which is what this is basically all about.

Good luck.

Thank you for your help transient, I will bear this in mind. I am a relatively new CAGGER and am grateful for the all the help and assistance that anyone can give me.

Hello there.

I think transient was trying to ensure that you get as many replies as possible to your posts. Making them easy to read is always useful because some people, like transient and myself for instance, get put off by a wall of text and it's easy to just give up.

You have 24 hours to edit any post you make and want to change, using the Edit Post button on the bottom right of your post.

You haven't broken any site rules and it's entirely up to you, of course. :)

My best, HB

:whoo:

I have been off 6 mths, and I have a grievance in against my line managers, so I email or send my sick lines into our human resources. It is their fault I am off sick with anxiety and depression, workplace stress.

LilythePink

If you liked what I said, and if it helped in any way, please tip my scales..... thank you:)

Lilythepink I have been contacted again today by my line manager via email and this time I have been accused of speaking out against the company on a Social Networking Site. I have never ever done this and never mentioned any names or stated where I work but have been accused of this and reminded that I am still being paid by my company! now this is becoming nothing short of harassment and yes you are correct in saying that if I wasn't off work then I too would be like yourself off with depression and workplace stress. As for being paid for the company, all I got last month was £100 per week big deal. I put in a grievance too but my line manager was very very clever and all conversations that took place were behind closed doors and therefore no one was witness to what was being said to me. Good luck Lilythepink, please let us all know how you get on?

Edited by Fairywings54

thanks Fairywing54

Welfare visited me on Monday and I just sat and cried, they didn't seem to understand that I wanted to get better and get back to work.....

I am just about to put in my grievance this morning, by email. I know like you, my line manager is good at getting out of things, and I knnow that my so called colleagues willl not speak out for me...... so as long as it is logged, that I just didn't take off sick for nothing....which I have never done.... I have went through hell this last couple of years, and would resign if I could afford it..... I intend to get myself well and then transfer out if I can.....

I will go to court with this, if nothing is done, as my union and my doctor and consultant will back me up, they have already said they will... the whole time I have been off sick, they have done nothing but stress me out. Occupational Health told them that even an interview with them, would exacerbate my condition, and welfare suggested retiring early......... I am more stressed out now, as I willl probably lose my home, and everything else....... thanks for your support, they somehow think being sick is being fun....... thanks again

LilythePink

If you liked what I said, and if it helped in any way, please tip my scales..... thank you:)

• 1 month later...

Just an update to all reading this thread. Yesterday I was fired by my company under the Capability dismissal route. I was asked for a return date to work which I could not give as it is between my Consultant and my GP and i am still on the sick. I was still got rid of anyhow.

I have now put in a claim for ESA as it is my belief that as from yesterday all my rights to SSP ended that day and I will be paid at the end of the month my final salary as I am a monthly employee. I will not go into this too deep but the right format was not followed according to the Disability route and no records of any kind have been sought from my consultant or an Occupational Doctor since the beginning of this year.

take them to the industrial tribunal for unfair dismissal...... Labour rellations agency.......there are loads of things that you can do.

Take them to court if necessary I am, these employers need to keep up with the law.

Do you belong to a union?

Fight them, although you probably don't feel like it, but it will be worth it in the end......... I feel quite confident that I willl have my complaint at least put on my file..... Keep fighting.

LilythePink

I wish you luck with this. When I went through similar a few years ago I found it hard to get help with bringing a case because it is damn hard to prove work place related stress....especially when you have other things they can try and pin it on!!

Eventually found a no win no fee solicitor who was prepared to go out on a limb because of some other issues about how they handled "absence management"....was within days of tribunal before they settled out of court...I wanted to fight on but my solicitor said would not get more money and that they would not support this so I had to quit the fight...

Not worth it for the money I am sure...but feel that they recognised that their handling had not been reasonable....or were scared something more would come out...

I had to pay the money to insolvency though....so not even a holiday to celebrate.

It has left me scarred emotionally though as colleagues had begun to smell my weakness and bully me too...it was nasty and I was grateful when they sacked me in some ways....and it is now a crime to be ill whether at work or on benefits....

Good luck to you and sorry for all who are going through similar.:-)

was your job with a private company, as I am a public servant, and I had loads of evidence. My union will pay for a solicitor and why did you not go for constructive dismissal, and take the case further. I have done a course in employment law, and believe that cases can be fought and won, especially as these things happened over 5/6 years, and I have written proof in emails etc. I won't let it go, as sacking anyone like that is disgusting. I would go down the constructive dismissal route, as you won't have to go back there and you might get some satisfaction out of it..... good luck, you have had a bad time like myself, and we can only hope that we willl stronger, and tackle this kind of thing when it comes along if ever the next time. On what grounds did they sack you?

• Confused 1

LilythePink

Hi Lilythepink, yes I am a member of the Union and as soon as I was told that I had a Capability Dismissal I got on the phone to my Union who were appalled at the manner of how this came about without any medical records since January being sought. I am fighting this all the way as you are correct in saying that employers need educating in the ways that sometimes disabled employees and employees with significant medical problems can be treated etc and there are various laws too.

I have never heard of a Labour relations agency but I am going to find out, I have spoken to ACAS who have advised me what to do. I have also been discriminated against the Union have told me because I was forced to prove I had a disability by showing them my Blue Badge, the list goes on and on but I do feel like fighting and fight I will. Thank you for your continued support. I will keep you all updated.

Good for you, the Labour Relaations Agency is what it is called over her in Northern Ireland. Did the union not fund your solicitor?

I have doubts about my case as well, and the banks aren't very understanding, when you can't pay your mortgage. But that is good you are not letting it go? I know if I hadn't taken a grievance, I would regret it later on. Good luck and keep on fighting.....

LilythePink