Patricia Pearl - Small Claims Procedure - A Practical Guide

An excellent guide for the layperson in how to use the County Court - a must if you are intending to start a claim.

£19.99 + £1.50 (P&P)

+ Reply to Thread
    Basic Account Holder theoldgit Novitiate theoldgit's Avatar

Follow Real_CAG on Twitter

Cagger since
    Apr 2009
    I am in
    Hanoi

Default Store Card / Credit Card Debt almost Statute Barred, BUT

I had a store card with a major chain of stores in the UK, the store card was changed into a credit card some years later, I hit hard times, moved abroad, gave up on on trying to maintain payments and defaulted on the card.

The debt has been passed from DCAicon to DCA and I gone into head in the sandicon mode, and ignored all communication, I still live out of the EU.

The debt is on the verge of being statute barredicon, but there is a but.

As well as having the cc with the retailer I had a personal loan them which was used to buy a car, when I left the UK my ex needed a car so I allowed her to keep my car that was being paid for from the loan and and she would carry on with the payments. We kept the loan in my name.

She carried on making the payments but overpaidicon the last payment by 30, the company advised me that there had been an overpaymenticon but instead of refunding it they credited it to my, now defaulted, credit card account.

I fear that this may have re-set the statute barred clock by three years.

I am reluctant to ask them as they haven't been in touch for a year or so, and neither have their DCA's, I'm inclined to let sleeping dogs lie.

Does anyone have a view?

Basic Account Holder Bang! Informative Bang! Informative Bang! Informative

Cagger since
    Feb 2012
    I am in
    continent (just taking the pi....

Default Re: Store Card / Credit Card Debt almost Statute Barred, BUT

1. The store card being changed to a credit card may actually have invalidated any debt given a recent case in which Santandericon failed as plaintiff with a Harrods store card that failed to comply with the CCA when upped to a credit card. Look it up - I am on my phone.

2. You did not make the payment so while it should be fine you may find attempts to do as you fear - to pre-empt chancers it might make sense to tell the car finanace people that account is in disputeicon and see if they can cancel and repay it. I openly have no idea if this can be done, but am sure others will correct me if I'm wrong.

Site Team citizenB Highly authoritative citizenB Highly authoritative citizenB Highly authoritative citizenB Highly authoritative citizenB Highly authoritative citizenB Highly authoritative citizenB Highly authoritative citizenB Highly authoritative citizenB Highly authoritative citizenB Highly authoritative citizenB Highly authoritative citizenB's Avatar

Cagger since
    Dec 2007
    I am in
    Back of beyond

Default Re: Store Card / Credit Card Debt almost Statute Barred, BUT

As you have not voluntarily made that payment then I dont think it can be used to restart the SB clock.

It was in fact an unsolicited gift from the company.

You might also want to have a read of the following article on Store to credit cards..

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk...t-News-for-you!!!

HTH

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running
    Click here to donate through PayPal (opens in a new window)

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE
    2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries
    3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here
    4: Staying Calm About Debt Read Here
    5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you
    3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules
    4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly
    5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE
    Follows
    Following

Viewing CAG on a small screen? Switch to the mobile version of the site

Reclaim the Right Ltd. - reg.05783665 in the UK reg. office:- 923 Finchley Road London NW11 7PE