Acknowledging debt for statute barred

pabrmu
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3291 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all,

not been on for some time now, but would like some advise from you wonderful people!

Had a debt with First Direct/HSBC for £1700.

£400 of this was for unfair charges which I had been in discussion with First Direct for over 3 years.

Had gone very quiet for 2 years when

in January of this year I received Notice of Assignment from Sigma Red/SPV.

I notified them of my dispute with First Direct and they answered this with this claim form:

http://i343.photobucket.com/albums/o473/pabrmu/SigmaPOC.png

I contacted them to ask why only claiming £299.99 plus costs and they said it was to keep costs down.

I then spoke to a learned associate of mine and he said that if this was him, he would pay the claim

as he considered that they had shot themselves in the foot as they should be claiming the whole amount.

He quoted case law Henderson vs Henderson of 1843 and this was still current law.

This law states that it would be an abuse of process to make the same claim again after already starting litigation.

I have no doubt that Sigma will claim that on their POC, it stated " part only of monies due", but the law states that all should be claimed.

When I settled their recent claim by cheque,

I enclosed a letter stating "Full and final settlement of their claim" and have not heard from them yet,

except for them to state that they would now be demanding the balance of £1400.

Any views would be much appreciated.

Interesting....The company has only been registered with companies house since March of this year

Name & Registered Office:

SIGMA SPV 1 LIMITED

5 BECKSIDE

EAGLESFIELD

COCKERMOUTH

ENGLAND

CA130SQ

Company No. 07977205

Hi 42 man.

Thanks for your reply.

Have had a quick look at Bryan Carter, but can't seem to find anything specific to partial claims.

Can you possibly help further?

Thanks.

Hi Pabrmu

I think you have answered your own question, this is indeed correct:-

" I then spoke to a learned associate of mine and he said that if this was him, he would pay the claim as he considered that they had shot themselves in the foot as they should be claiming the whole amount. He quoted case law Henderson vs Henderson of 1843 and this was still current law. This law states that it would be an abuse of process to make the same claim again after already starting litigation.

I have no doubt that Sigma will claim that on their POC, it stated " part only of monies due", but the law states that all should be claimed."

Regards

Andy

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

I have had exactly the same; even the claim form is the same.

Please let me know what the outcome is and whether they are still going to persue you for the capital amount. They are upto something.

Hello to pabrmu, rayin & anyone else kind enough to offer their advice & expertise to our plight.

I wanted to introduce myself & hopefully connect with you, as this thread closely mirrors my own & I am desperate for some help. Have you made any progress since posting this thread?

Unfortunately, serious health issues have kept me away for quite some time & make it hard for me to keep going at times. So receiving my own near identical copy of the Sigma letter you have posted here, really devastated me this morning. After comparing, they are the same, right down to the date 21/12/2011, in the 'Particulars of Claim' box, name of solicitor, stating it as a demand for 'part payment' & identical amounts for claim, costs & fee's. I agree that something just feels a bit 'off' with it, especially given that this is the 1st i've heard of Sigma.

The account connected to this, was an HSBC credit card that my Hubby was given approx 25 years ago, by what was then Midland Bank. It has been in dispute since 2008, using your great letter templates, after a SAR gave us only a small amount of more recent statements & a CCA request yielded 2 photocopies of an ancient, damaged Midland Bank pamphlet & a modern HSBC CCA, with nothing pertaining to my Hubby whatsoever on any of the paperwork. What we were sent was way outside the time frame for compliance too.

Despite HSBC being well aware of our dispute, the matter yo yo'ed back & forth between them & various DCA's for a long time, before a lull & now this bombshell. I'm finding it very difficult to cope with this, as it's a new one on me & i'm alone with my kids, as my Hubby is contracted to work abroad. How can they be permitted to do this? Do our rights count for nothing? They've done everything wrong, ripped us off in the 1st place (won't go there) & now i'm having panic attacks (big ones) in my own home. I really have had enough & only keep going for my children. Wow, sorry to sound morbid.

Please, is there anyone that can advise me on what to do with this? Just knowing someone has listened & pointed me in the right direction would help me stay strong i'm sure.

Thank you for your time & best wishes to all.

CM.

interesting....the company has only been registered with companies house since march of this year

name & registered office:

sigma spv 1 limited

5 beckside

eaglesfield

cockermouth

england

ca130sq

company no. 07977205

sigma spv 1 limited

oglier house

the esplanade

st helier

jersey

je4 9wg

thank you to all knowledgeable people on this site who give their time freely to help

• 1 month later...

The Cockermouth address is NOT this company – the company is registered in Jersey. It’s basically the directors of HL Legal, now buying on their own account.

Completely different companies. Be careful!

Ms Rhona Anne Lavender needs reporting to the Law Society and SRA for deliberately splitting claims and attempting to mislead debtors.

• 2 weeks later...

hi peeps,

As any1 responded to the claims against us from this company, I have received exactly the same letter as every1 including same wording as part monies and also the date as 21/12/2012. address jersey signed Rhona Lavender.

I have limited time to respond and woundering what i should do? any1 got any further or anything with this.?

thanks

Hello,

Yes I have, I am currently awaiting the Allocation stage (although I have not heard anything) I submitted a defence and have not heard anything since. The claimant has 28 days after this. This has now passed but have not yet heard anything.

It's worth noting what Andy said here: http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?347358-Sigma-red-spv&p=3815394&viewfull=1#post3815394

thank you to all knowledgeable people on this site who give their time freely to help

Birdi there are loads of threads in Legal issues now offering sound advice- look through them and you'll soon orientate yourself. 42Man has also put up some other useful links...trawl through them.

To my mind the startegy is simple. Acknowledge the service of the claim online as quickly as possible. Then immediately submit CPR 31.14 and CPR 18 directly to the 'solicitors' [HL Legal]. Personally although the account is in dispute with original creditor, I'm putting in a parallel CCA request as well, so that when they [almost certainly] default on that, I also have the option of slapping a CPUTR request onto them, but that one is entirely down to personal choice. Remember it is THEM that have to prove not just that you owe them money, but that they have a legal right to pursue you for it.

With regard to giving into the temptation to pay this lot off in the hope it'll all just go away....I've made my feelings plain on this on other threads about this but to my mind it bears repeating. Do not pay a penny in claims like this for three reasons:

1] despite the 'second claim illegalities' arguments, I will bet you my bottom dollar that they will come after the rest. The first claim is legally dodgy in its own right, so they certainly aren't going to shy away from a follow up claim for 'legal' reasons, are they now. also when they come after you for the rest, you're immediately on the back foot because you've already paid them some interest on the account and so have therefore effectively acknowledged the debt, so how can you now argue you're not liable for it? Good luck with that in front of a DJ minded to cut claimants in these situations as much slack as possible.

2] If some bloke came up to you in the street one Saturday afternoon and said to you 'Hey mate for a few quid I've just bought a few account numbers from the bank and your name is on one. Pay me £300 quid now and another £50 for my trouble, or else,' you'd tell him in no uncertain terms where to go, wouldn't you. Well in principle, this situation is no different than that.

3] By paying them,you are only confirming to them the validity of this dodgy business model. If this method can show a profit, this dca will continue using it, as will many more. It needs to be kicked in the teeth now and shown to be un-profitable, so DON'T pay them a penny.

Face them down with proper procedure and let them know you know your stuff and are prepared to defend [which is their greatest nightmare- they won't want to go anywhere near a judge with a claim like this], and they will scuttle away.

Edited by SkemDosser

The Cockermouth address is NOT this company – the company is registered in Jersey. It’s basically the directors of HL Legal, now buying on their own account.

Completely different companies. Be careful!

Ms Rhona Anne Lavender needs reporting to the Law Society and SRA for deliberately splitting claims and attempting to mislead debtors.

Reporting dear Ms Lavender is indeed very high on my list of To Dos :)

Birdi there are loads of threads in Legal issues now offering sound advice- look through them and you'll soon orientate yourself. 42Man has also put up some other useful links...trawl through them.

To my mind the startegy is simple. Acknowledge the service of the claim online as quickly as possible. Then immediately submit CPR 31.14 and CPR 18 directly to the 'solicitors' [HL Legal]. Personally although the account is in dispute with original creditor, I'm putting in a parallel CCA request as well, so that when they [almost certainly] default on that, I also have the option of slapping a CPUTR request onto them, but that one is entirely down to personal choice. Remember it is THEM that have to prove not just that you owe them money, but that they have a legal right to pursue you for it.

With regard to giving into the temptation to pay this lot off in the hope it'll all just go away....I've made my feelings plain on this on other threads about this but to my mind it bears repeating. Do not pay a penny in claims like this for three reasons:

1] despite the 'second claim illegalities' arguments, I will bet you my bottom dollar that they will come after the rest. The first claim is legally dodgy in its own right, so they certainly aren't going to shy away from a follow up claim for 'legal' reasons, are they now. also when they come after you for the rest, you're immediately on the back foot because you've already paid them some interest on the account and so have therefore effectively acknowledged the debt, so how can you now argue you're not liable for it? Good luck with that in front of a DJ minded to cut claimants in these situations as much slack as possible.

2] If some bloke came up to you in the street one Saturday afternoon and said to you 'Hey mate for a few quid I've just bought a few account numbers from the bank and your name is on one. Pay me £300 quid now and another £50 for my trouble, or else,' you'd tell him in no uncertain terms where to go, wouldn't you. Well in principle, this situation is no different than that.

3] By paying them,you are only confirming to them the validity of this dodgy business model. If this method can show a profit, this dca will continue using it, as will many more. It needs to be kicked in the teeth now and shown to be un-profitable, so DON'T pay them a penny.

Face them down with proper procedure and let them know you know your stuff and are prepared to defend [which is their greatest nightmare- they won't want to go anywhere near a judge with a claim like this], and they will scuttle away.

I am completely at one with you on this skemdosser....oh yeah and Ms Lavender is at the top of my to do list too

Solidarity Nana, and we will prevail with a nice sharp crack of the whip :whip:

And then blow me down roll me over and tickle me with a [dog-eared] copy of the CCA 1974, the address to send your complaint to the SRA appears to be in....Redditch of all places. Talk about serendipity!!!

How to report a solicitor or firm to the SRA

When reporting, please

• set out your concerns clearly,
  • identify individuals you consider responsible,
  • attach any evidence you have in support.

To send your information to us:

More info here:

http://www.sra.org.uk/consumers/problems.page

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all, Sigma red and Sigma SPV 1 Ltd are all the same company.

Sigma SPV1 Ltd is a Jersey "Front" for Sigma Red. (Offshore Company)

Sigma Red & Sigma SPV 1 Ltd was financed by "CYRUS CAPITAL" as from 6th September 2011 with up to 20 Million to spend on Delinquent debt portfolio purchase. It is a 5 year contract.

Tim Freeman (Sigma Red) set up the deal. If you google "CYRUS CAPITAL" you can read all about it in a credit today review.

The Sigma group consists of Sigma Red/Sigma white/Sigma SPV1Ltd/HL legal & collections and of course HL solicitors.

Its all "Smoke & Mirrors" in order to confuse people. The bottom line is its all HL legal & collections. (Redditch)

Same faces just different names.

Hope that helps.

Edited by lucky lord lucan
  • Confused 1

Hi Lucky and Skemdosser.

Thank you for your advice.

Unfortunately, I had already paid the first part of the claim, so too late to take skemdossers advice.

I am not counting my chickens, but they seem to have gone very quiet over the past 6 weeks or so.

Message to Lucky Lord Lucan. Would you be able to assist if these chancers come again with another claim?

Thanks again to all.

• 2 months later...

Hi All,

These chancers did come after me for the balance of £1300 odd in June 2012.

They actually sent another letter as if they had already issued another claim form.

I contacted them and they apologised, saying the letter was sent in error.

I wrote back and said that I did not accept that this was an error, but a deliberate attempt to scare me.

I further advised them that I would be keeping all correspondence and would be prepared to show it to a court as proof of their underhand tactics if they were foolish enough to try litigation in the future.

ALL HAS BEEN QUIET SINCE THE END OF JUNE.

• 4 months later...

Hi y'all,

Would be extremely grateful for advice.

Had a Small Business Loan (SBL), which is subject to CCA rules from HSBC.

The repayment amounts were made from my current (Trading As) account.

Got into financial problems 2008/2009 and closed bank account in June 2009 owing them £1800.

I started Section 77/78 requests regarding the SBL in 2008 and no agreement forthcoming.

In fact, a SAR showed that they admitted not being able to locate or reconstitute the agreement.

What they did then, without telling me, was to put the balance of the SBL, £13000, as a closing balance on my current account.

I have managed to bat HSBC and about 20 of their agents off over the last few years,

but they have now sold the debt to a particular aggressive company,

which I don't want to name as yet, and they are now saying that the current account is not subject to Consumer Credit law so I should pay up.

Whilst they are obviously correct regarding current accounts, can anybody help with this sort of issue?

Many thanks for looking.

Subbing to thread.

Andy

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

I may be wrong but AIUI because they offset the CCA a/c to another which wasn't subject to CCA they have in effect turned the current a/c into one which is now covered by CCA because they have been combined....... if you understand what I mean.

By combining the loan with your current account, they have removed your protection under the CCA1974 and quite simply they cant do this.

You might want to consider an Official complaint to HSBC's Head office, pointing out that what they have done is wrong and in breach of all the regulations.

Was there any Payment Protection on the loan ?

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D