Home cooking, tastiest and cheapest

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4380 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all you lovely people! I made Chimmy chungas!

I am always looking for a bargain, but do not like to compromise on quality - which is why I am fussy were I buy my meat from etc - and I love to cook! There is nothing like home cooking, for flavours, cost and quality - as you know everything that is going in it, also it is much much healthier.

Also I am gluten/wheat intolerant (they think it's ceoliac, but have had trouble getting a biopsy) - so I discovered a traditional Mexican supplier online and got 60 corn tortillas for £4.90 (although this can also be used with flour tortillas, but they work out more expensive).

And yesterday I made 16 minced beef Chimmy chungas for only £3.25!!!

They can be made with any filling, even vegetable filling, or samosa filling, but I did Aberdeen Angus beef (cost me £2.00 at the sainsburys butchers), I cooked the beef with onions, fresh garlic, a dash of tabasco sauce, a dash of balsamic, a little rock salt, black pepper - let it cool then mixed in some grated chedder.

Then I warmed a dry frying pan up, and heated the tortillas till they became soft and pliable - filled with with the mixture creating parcels, sealing them with a beaten egg - then shallow fried each side for approx 1 min either side - then popped them in the oven for around 15 mins.................

Well, I have to say they were very delicious, and as good as anything you could buy from a Mexican place!

Even though I love to cook, I can be quite critical of my own cooking - but I was not critical of these :oops:

So where on earth would you be able to buy 16 Chimmy Chungas for the grand price of £3.25? You'd pay that for one!

I know home cooking is for some too time consuming - but with the likes of these, they can be made and frozen, taken out when needed then fried and put in the oven, call it "home made convenience food! :-D

I am going to have a bash at making some veggie ones for my friend.

I know Caro will love this!

Life is like an echo, it all returns......The good, the bad, the false, the true......So if you give life the best you have, the best will come back to you.