Patricia Pearl - Small Claims Procedure - A Practical Guide

An excellent guide for the layperson in how to use the County Court - a must if you are intending to start a claim.

£19.99 + £1.50 (P&P)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
    Basic Account Holder philread1 Novitiate

Follow Real_CAG on Twitter

Cagger since
    Jun 2006
    I am in
    Kent

Default SPML, Capstone, Ascenden - Reclaiming Charges

Hello Everyone

I'm in the process of getting back all unlawful charges put on my loan account with SPML. Received all the info on my account after submitting an SARicon, now going to ask for a refund.

Can someone please tell me if I need to send them a copy of the list of the charges that I intend to reclaim with the templateicon letter 'Request for Repayment of Charges'?

Cheers
    Phil

This is only my personal, honest opinion!
    Follows
    Following

Royalties Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Download our toolbar
    freakyleaky Authoritative freakyleaky Authoritative freakyleaky Authoritative freakyleaky Authoritative freakyleaky Authoritative freakyleaky Authoritative freakyleaky Authoritative freakyleaky Authoritative freakyleaky Authoritative freakyleaky Authoritative freakyleaky Authoritative freakyleaky's Avatar

Cagger since
    Mar 2007
    I am in
    Middle Earth! (But have been to other places)

Default Re: SPML, Capstone, Ascenden - Reclaiming Charges

Hi. Yes you need to send them a breakdown of all charges you are reclaiming.
    You need the date, time, name of charge and ammount. If you are claiming interesticon you need to add that too.
    Use the right spreadsheet to list everything and send a copy to them.
    Shout up if you can't find stuff. Most of it's in the CAGicon libraryicon.

Welcome to the Consumer Forums
    Free advice and support to to solve your consumer problems.
    You will soon discover what a friendly place this is and get lots of hints about standing up to consumer bullies or dealing with other consumer rights.

Which guide to the Sale Of Goods Act

New advice guide explains credit card rights

Help the CAG!!
    Make a donation

ARE YOU A VICTIM OF COWBOY BUILDERS?

Has your RBS account been transferred to Santander?

Forum rules. Please read these before posting

PLEASE CHECK OUT THE CAG LIBRARY!! IT HAS LOADS OF USEFUL STUFF IN THERE. CLICK HERE
    Follows
    Following

Site Team dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk's Avatar

Cagger since
    Dec 2006
    I am in
    a sort of fire-fighting role here. Hate HFC & their compulsory PPI ethos

Credit Reference Agencies:Experian Equifax CallCredit noddle<<<<CRA FILE INFO IS HERE<<<<
    fed up with DCA's calling get a TRUECALL BOX!! - HERE
    Sort Your Debts Now - - here

Start Your Own Thread - HERE

1. Single Premium PPI Q&A Read Here
    2. Reclaim mis-sold PPI Read Here
    3. Reclaim Loan, Credit Card, mortgage & CAtalogue Charges Read Here
    my views are my own...seek legal advice if ness
    NEVER EVER - act on a private message asking you to visit another website, make contact 'off list' or by telephone
    - alert the siteteam IMMEDIATELY by hitting the black warning triangle on any message - Particularly if this results in a request to pay a fee to help you.

DX
    RIP Martin3030
    Follows
    Following

Cagger since
    Jun 2006
    I am in
    Kent

Thanks, Dx & Freaky

I've copied one of the spreadsheets from the libraryicon and filled it in. Am I right to add interesticon at this stage when I'm just asking for a refund of the charges? Also, I thought you could only claim interest once it goes to court? That is what happened and how things were when I re-claimed some bank charges a few years ago........

Thanks again for your help.
    Phil

Follows
    Following

Basic Account Holder bs0lth Novitiate bs0lth's Avatar

Cagger since
    Mar 2006
    I am in
    SUNDERLAND

Hi Phil,
    Good luck with them, I would check all of the information in your SARicon mine was only half completed and getting info out of them is nigh on impossible. I have just gone the court route its just been listed so I wish you luck in getting them back.
    Lynne

Site Team dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk's Avatar

Cagger since
    Dec 2006
    I am in
    a sort of fire-fighting role here. Hate HFC & their compulsory PPI ethos

Quote Originally Posted by philread1 View Post
    Thanks, Dx & Freaky

I've copied one of the spreadsheets from the libraryicon and filled it in. Am I right to add interesticon at this stage when I'm just asking for a refund of the charges? Also, I thought you could only claim interest once it goes to court? That is what happened and how things were when I re-claimed some bank charges a few years ago........

Thanks again for your help.
    Phil
    ideally you should use the fosrunningCI sheet

put your motgage APR in D13
    and READ the RED NOTES TAB

you cant add anything more even at court stage.
    dx

Credit Reference Agencies:Experian Equifax CallCredit noddle<<<<CRA FILE INFO IS HERE<<<<
    fed up with DCA's calling get a TRUECALL BOX!! - HERE
    Sort Your Debts Now - - here

Start Your Own Thread - HERE

3. Reclaim Loan, Credit Card, mortgage & CAtalogue Charges Read Here
    my views are my own...seek legal advice if ness
    NEVER EVER - act on a private message asking you to visit another website, make contact 'off list' or by telephone
    - alert the siteteam IMMEDIATELY by hitting the black warning triangle on any message - Particularly if this results in a request to pay a fee to help you.

DX
    RIP Martin3030
    Follows
    Following

Site Team The Consumer Action Group ims21 Highly authoritative ims21 Highly authoritative ims21 Highly authoritative ims21 Highly authoritative ims21 Highly authoritative ims21 Highly authoritative ims21 Highly authoritative ims21 Highly authoritative ims21 Highly authoritative ims21 Highly authoritative ims21 Highly authoritative ims21's Avatar

Cagger since
    Feb 2011
    I am in
    excellent spirits

Hi Phil

Responding to PM

From the list you gave me here are my observations...
    1. Unpaid D/D - Yes
    2. Arrears management fee - Probably yes - more info?
    3. Litigation fee - more info?
    4. Legal costs - not if they are the true cost to them
    5. Agents costs - more info - are these for agents visits to you?
    6. Late payment management fee - yes, I would
    7. Litigation management fee - if it can be shown to be a penalty, yes
    8. Referral to solicitor fee - probably yes
    9. Third party fee (solicitors costs) - not if they are the true cost
    10. Early stage arrears management fee - yes
    11. Redemption statement fee - probably not
    12. Alternative payment method fee - more info
    13. Int on arrears - yes by way of the spreadsheet calcs but not an item you would list

Basically what you are looking for is anything that can be shown to be a penalty i.e. it does not reflect the true cost or accurate pre-estimate of the actual cost. For example the passing on of a solicitors fee is not a penalty, it is the true cost to them. A fee for a bounced direct debt is highly unlikely to reflect the true cost to them so it is a penalty

IMHO

ims

If I have helped you please leave me a message by clicking my star

3. Reclaim Loan & Credit Card Charges Read Here
    4. The CAG Interest Tutorial Read Here
    5. Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here
    6. Staying Calm About Debt Read Here
    7. Thinking of a Full & Final Settlement? Read Here

How To Upload Documents To Cag Instructions

I DON'T GIVE ADVICE BY PM BUT IF YOU SEND ME A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER HELP THERE

Private message facilities are offered for users to communicate issues that are perhaps inappropriate for posting on the main forum. Site rules explain this in more detail.

If you receive a private message which you consider abusive, derogatory or otherwise inappropriate, whether it be about yourself or other members, please report it using the "report" icon

If you are approached (or have been approached) by private message with an offer of help "Off Forum" or with a view to asking you to visit another website, please inform the site team via the report icon, especially if this results in a request for a fee. Remember, this is for your own protection

my views are my own and are given in good faith to try and help people. Please seek professional advice on your case if necessary

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING
    EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Follows
    Following

Cagger since
    Jun 2006
    I am in
    Kent

Thanks Ims21

I wish all financial institutions would just be transparent about the way they charge people. I know it is never going to happen as they are still making lots & lots of profit from them!!!!

I feel like going after them for every charge the have ever made on my account, and letting them justify their excessive charges & costs in a court of law. Its unlaw & unjust - end of! Thats the grey area as I want to know where every penny has gone for each charge!

Am getting my letter ready and list of charges ready for sending first thing Monday morning. Gonna think about it tomorrow and amend my letter to request them to justify them all.

Anyway, onwards & upwards.
    Good Luck to you all!!!!
    Phil

Follows
    Following

Site Team The Consumer Action Group ims21 Highly authoritative ims21 Highly authoritative ims21 Highly authoritative ims21 Highly authoritative ims21 Highly authoritative ims21 Highly authoritative ims21 Highly authoritative ims21 Highly authoritative ims21 Highly authoritative ims21 Highly authoritative ims21 Highly authoritative ims21's Avatar

Cagger since
    Feb 2011
    I am in
    excellent spirits

Have you completed your spreadsheet with the interesticon calculations?

ims

I DON'T GIVE ADVICE BY PM BUT IF YOU SEND ME A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER HELP THERE

Private message facilities are offered for users to communicate issues that are perhaps inappropriate for posting on the main forum. Site rules explain this in more detail.

If you receive a private message which you consider abusive, derogatory or otherwise inappropriate, whether it be about yourself or other members, please report it using the "report" icon

If you are approached (or have been approached) by private message with an offer of help "Off Forum" or with a view to asking you to visit another website, please inform the site team via the report icon, especially if this results in a request for a fee. Remember, this is for your own protection

my views are my own and are given in good faith to try and help people. Please seek professional advice on your case if necessary

Follows
    Following

Cagger since
    Jun 2006
    I am in
    Kent

Yeh, with Statutory 8% which I'm happy with. I'll pm you my letter now. See what you think. Any observations or additional comments are much appreciated.

Thanks for your help, Ims.
    Phil

Follows
    Following

Cagger since
    Feb 2011
    I am in
    excellent spirits

Hi

There is a preliminary letter templateicon in the CAG libraryicon which you could amend to suit. Alternatively pop your letter here and it can be reviewed.

ims

Follows
    Following

Cagger since
    Jun 2006
    I am in
    Kent

Request for Repayment of Charges

We are writing to you to request the refundof ****.**of charges which you have levied against us in respect ofour account, plus statutory interesticon at 8% of ****.**, an amount thatwe would be expected to receive under normal circumstances by a county courticon orthe Financial Ombudsmanicon. A total of ****.**

These charges have been levied against us unlawfully because they are excessiveand therefore unfair.

We are sure that you are aware of the recent decisions by the FinancialServices Authority in Deutschebank and also in Redstone. The Financial ServicesAuthority made it very clear that charges should reflect the actual cost ofdealing with difficulties on a mortgageicon/loan account. It is very clear that yourcharges are calculated to produce a high margin of profit for you.

Furthermore your charges are unfair and therefore unlawful under the UnfairTerms in Consumer Contracts Regulations. Although a test case in 2009 decidedthat overdraft charges for personal bank accounts could not be assessed forfairness, this decision from the Supreme Court was limited to charges whichform part of the core revenue of the banks. Your charges are not part of yourcore revenue. They are incidental to your main business and therefore they fallto be assessed for fairness. Thismeans that they must be proportionate and that they must truly reflect youradministrative costs.

We are prepared to sue you in the County Court if you will not refund us forthe full amount.

If you are prepared to act quickly and to refund us our money without anytrouble, then we will be prepared to accept the return of our money as detailedabove, with statutory interest added at 8%.

Please note that we are not prepared to wait for your normal eight week delay.This is an industry time period which has been agreed with the FSA. We don'tthink that we would be prepared to accept your violations of FSA rules on onehand while you then attempt to rely on some FSA guideline on the other.

If we do not hear from you within 14 days of this letter then we will beginproceedings in the County Court and without any further notice.

Yours faithfully

Follows
    Following

Cagger since
    Jun 2006
    I am in
    Kent

Hello Ims

I'm sorry if I've sent you pm's that go against forum rules. I am very suspicious of some of the charcters that read these forums (ie. Financial Institutions!) and don't wish to give them a chance to prepare anything against me. I want to hold my cards as close to my chest as possible!!!!!

The letter I've posted above is what I've put together. Your opinions are very welcome.

One last thing, do I need to send them a 'prelim' letter (14 days) then a 'letter before actionicon' (another 14 days) then go to court as per bank charges claims?

Thanks, again.
    Phil

Follows
    Following

Cagger since
    Feb 2011
    I am in
    excellent spirits

Hi

I'd remove the line being prepared to go to court. See below as to how to round off the letter re: court action

I'd also take out the bit about the FSA 8 week business.....you have said they have 14 days.

Round off the letter something along the lines of:

You now have 14 days to respond positively and in the absence of this, I will put you on notice with a further 14 days letter before actionicon.

Yes a prelim as above, then lba then issue

ims

Follows
    Following

Cagger since
    Jun 2006
    I am in
    Kent

Thanks Ims,

You've been a great help. I've amended my letter and gonna get it off to the same address I sent my SARicon too.

All the best.
    Phil

Follows
    Following

Basic Account Holder tm.atkinson Novitiate

Cagger since
    Apr 2012

Hi,

I've just recently got out of debt, the stress and frustration caused friction, and put the family out of balance. It caused a whole lot of anxiety, so we decided to cut our losses and sell up. We were fortunate, as we were in a position to pay back debts secured against the property. One of which was Ascenden. I borrowed over a 120 month period, this was for home improvements, holidayicon, car etc... it was for 15000, originally through London Mortage Company, then Capstone and now Ascenden. The Total amount of borrowing was 16600 due to a 1600 brokers fee added to the loan. It all started in March 2007, and I managed to complete the sale of my house in Feb 2012. Now forgive me for being naive here, after paying back over 15000 in repayments, the settelment figure paid was 16250, when I looked at the original agreement the total amount payable at the end of term would have worked out at 33500.

1.) What I'm trying to figure out is, why have I paid back nearly the amount payable under the full term? It works out that I had paid back circa 31250.00, Ascenden reckon it was made up of charges. Despite falling into nearly 3000.00 into arrears, by the time I had sold my property I made up the arrears balance to just under 1800.00, in other words the CMI was being paid, and an additional arrangement had been made too.

2.) When I asked ascenden in December 2011 for the settlement I almost choked, I asked for a breakdown of charges, but was fobbed off with the echoing sound of 'look at your terms and conditions' as I wanted to know why the settlement figure was so high.

3.) I have written in correspondance but I am facing a brick wall.

I really honestly feel that I've been done, particularly when I've paid the debt half way through term. Is there any way I claim some if not all of the charges back.

Your help would much appreciated.

Mark

Cagger since
    Feb 2011
    I am in
    excellent spirits

Hi Mark

I'd start your own thread.

If the charges you mention are unlawful then they can be reclaimed

ims

Follows
    Following

Basic Account Holder tm.atkinson Novitiate

Cagger since
    Apr 2012

Thanks fo rthe tip, i'll do just that. Again being naive, am I able to start another thread as I already have one open? A new starter to these!

Cagger since
    Feb 2011
    I am in
    excellent spirits

Quote Originally Posted by tm.atkinson View Post
    Thanks fo rthe tip, i'll do just that. Again being naive, am I able to start another thread as I already have one open? A new starter to these!
    Yes of course...the thread you have going at the mo is regarding Daniels Silverman and Train 4 Gain or something like that I believe.

This is a different issue so we encourage separate threads for each issue you are trying to resolve

ims

Follows
    Following

Basic Account Holder mustard7 Novitiate

Cagger since
    Jan 2009

Hi phil,
    I am in the same boat as you and have now received my SARicon back.
    Can I ask what you did regarding interesticon?
    Did you add this to your spreadsheet?
    My mortgageicon rate varied throughout the term so I'm unsure if I should do a seperate sheet for each different APR, or leave it blank or add the statutory 8%.
    Also, what charges are you reclaiming back. Reading through my statements there are about 15 different types of charges added!
    I am hoping to get letters sent off to ascendon this monday. Be interesting to see the response.

Viewing CAG on a small screen? Switch to the mobile version of the site

Reclaim the Right Ltd. - reg.05783665 in the UK reg. office:- 923 Finchley Road London NW11 7PE