SRJ Debt Recoveries - letters received at my address to people unknown

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4305 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Can somebody please help me get these lovely people off my back?

About a year ago they started sending letters addressed to a woman, purporting to live at my address, and who owed money to a credit card company. At first it was merely a nuisance and I ignored them, sending them back, RTS, not known at this address.

However, they continued, then I began to get letters addressed to a man, owing money to BT. After awhile I contacted both companies and told them these people were completely unknown to me and no debts were outstanding at my address. I was told the letters would stop.

Now, my little one bedroomed flat has expanded to take in a THIRD person (I have no idea where they all sleep! :???:)

I sent the letters off to the OFT earlier this year, and they wrote back, saying they'd look into it, but since then I've received yet more, with threatening tones. This is me now....:-x:mad2::shock:

I am sick and tired of getting these. How else can I get them to stop? Who else do I turn to for help? This week I typed a letter (and no, I didn't leave my name and I didn't sign it!), requesting them to stop sending the letters and adding, as they had caused me distress and inconvenience, they would be paying the postage! I even wrote it on the envelope, stating I wouldn't accept the envelope if it was returned back to me. I have wasted enough time, resource and stamp writing off to the OFT: why should I put a stamp on a communication to THEM?:lol:

At the same time, I sent off the recent few to the OFT, as if to say 'look, they're still coming!'

Any ideas folks? Very many thanks!

If there not addressed to you why are you even reading them, its an offence to open others mail.

If its not your post just bin it or mark "Not At This Address" and stop getting in a flap about it.

The more you write to them the more crap they send out. just ignore the planks

If there not addressed to you why are you even reading them, its an offence to open others mail.

If its not your post just bin it or mark "Not At This Address" and stop getting in a flap about it.

The more you write to them the more crap they send out. just ignore the planks

I think I am perfectly entitled to open the letters, alfwithhair! I am the only person to have ever lived at my flat: it was a new build when I moved in! So I write with confidence that the 3 people running up the debts are not known at my address, never have been and never will!

Once you have established that there is no information on YOUR credit files in respect of these other people, then I would simply be returning them "Adressee unknown" - "Return to Sender"

Whilst I agree with alfwithhair that you shouldnt be opening mail addressed to someone else.. if you hadnt, and at a later date discovered that a CCJ had been awarded in default to one of these people.. at your address.. then you would be put to the trouble and expense of resolving this.

I too was subjected to a flurry of letters for someone who has the same surname as me.

The first was opened in error and subsequent mail was returned "return to sender/not known at this address". I photocopied both the back of the envelope bearing the return address and the front showing that it was being returned.

But they kept coming - so I started to open them again and communicate politely that they had the wrong address. In response to a rather unpleasant reply from them some 3 months ago, that also contained a wealth of information about the other person and the statement that they "would be sending someone round to collect what was owed". I sent the following.

Dear Sir or Madam,

Ref: the enclosed letter to “NAME”

PLEASE DO NOT IGNORE

The enclosed letter was opened in error. Having lived at this property for some XX years, I believe I am entitled to assume that letters delivered here are for ME and for no one else.

I am sick to death of receiving letters for the above named person.

There is no one of that name at this address; there has never been anyone of that name living at this address. A simple check of the Electoral roll will confirm this.

I must insist that you remove this address from your records.

I will be passing a copy of the enclosed letter to the Information Commissioner for their attention.

Please also be aware, that if you should send anyone to my property, the police will be alerted.

I trust I will not be receiving any more letters for the above.

Yours faithfully,

Fingers crossed they have gone away.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

If you hand your local postie a letter stating that post

for those perssons is not to be delivered, it should stop,

the delivery office will intercept the mail automatically.

If you don't see your postie a letter to the delivery office

manager will do the trick

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

Please Consider making a donation to keep this site running!

Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit: Animo et Fide:

• 1 month later...

They are a pain in the arse.

Been returning their letters not know at the address for the last couple of months. They have now sent a you have been traced to this address letter. Fired off a quick email as like you I have had enough of them informing them that she hasn't lived here for a couple of years and to remove my address from their records.

Their trace department must be utter rubbish given that a) she's done bird recently. And b) she has a British gas account at her new address. Ta British gas.