Patricia Pearl - Small Claims Procedure - A Practical Guide

An excellent guide for the layperson in how to use the County Court - a must if you are intending to start a claim.

£19.99 + £1.50 (P&P)

+ Reply to Thread
    Basic Account Holder mikeyboy0911 Novitiate

Follow Real_CAG on Twitter

Cagger since
    Mar 2012

Default cancelled credit/loan agreement

hello. please can someone give me some advice. i took out a loan agreement with a company when i purchased a new TV from currys. I paid my initial deposit payment to the loan company and then currys accidently sent a credit note to the loan company and cleared the balance of the loan with the credit note. The loan company refunded my deposit payment. Now currys are hassling me daily to pay them direct for the TV. Is this right?

Premium Royalties Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Download our toolbar
    BRIGADIER2JCS Authoritative BRIGADIER2JCS Authoritative BRIGADIER2JCS Authoritative BRIGADIER2JCS Authoritative BRIGADIER2JCS Authoritative BRIGADIER2JCS Authoritative BRIGADIER2JCS Authoritative BRIGADIER2JCS Authoritative BRIGADIER2JCS Authoritative BRIGADIER2JCS Authoritative BRIGADIER2JCS Authoritative BRIGADIER2JCS's Avatar

Cagger since
    Aug 2010
    I am in
    In need of.......................

Default Re: cancelled credit/loan agreement

Yes you cannot take a finacial advantage resulting from
    a genuine mistake you have the TV and need to pay for it.

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.
    Please Consider making a donation to keep this site running!
    Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit: Animo et Fide:
    Follows
    Following

Cagger since
    Mar 2012

understand, but looking at it from a legal point ...... i dont have an agreement with currys. my agreement was with the loan company and currys paid my agreement with a credit note

Site Team rebel11 Authoritative rebel11 Authoritative rebel11 Authoritative rebel11 Authoritative rebel11 Authoritative rebel11 Authoritative rebel11 Authoritative rebel11 Authoritative rebel11 Authoritative rebel11 Authoritative rebel11 Authoritative

Cagger since
    Oct 2009
    Blog Entries

Thread has been moved to the correct forum.

Welcome to Consumer Action Group

'Challenges are what makes life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful.'
    Joshua J. Marine

1) CLAIM BACK ALL PENALTY CHARGES CLICK HERE
    2) CLAIM BACK ALL MIS-SOLD PPI CLICK HERE
    3) COMPOUNDED CONTRACTUAL INTEREST CLICK HERE
    4) REQUEST CCA FROM CREDITOR CLICK HERE
    5) OFT- UNENFORCEABLE AGREEMENTS CLICK HERE
    6) CAREY V HSBC (2009) CLICK HERE
    7) DON'T BE BULLIED BY CREDITORS / DCA's CLICK HERE
    8) IN DEBT DON'T PANIC CLICK HERE
    9) FULL AND FINAL SETTLEMENT CLICK HERE
    10) SALE OF GOODS ACT-EDUCATE YOUR RETAILER CLICK HERE
    11) DISTANCE SELLING-EDUCATE YOR RETAILER
    CLICK HERE
    12)
    SOGA SUMMARY CLICK HERE
    13) WHICH? TEMPLATES CLICK HERE
    14) DOES YOU BANK TREAT YOU FAIRLY BCOBSCLICK HERE
    15) EVERYTHING HOUSING CLICK HERE
    16) UTILITY BACKBILLING CLICK HERE
    17) OFGEM - COMPLAINTSCLICK HERE
    18) OFCOM - COMPLAINTS CLICK HERE

DON'T GIVE UP, THIS SITE WILL PROVIDE YOU WITH GUIDANCE AND EMPOWERMENT

Don't forget to donate to this site

Please let us know how your problem has been resolved, it could help fellow Caggers

Follows
    Following

Gold Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Download our toolbar
    locutus Authoritative locutus Authoritative locutus Authoritative locutus Authoritative locutus Authoritative locutus Authoritative locutus Authoritative locutus Authoritative locutus Authoritative locutus Authoritative locutus Authoritative locutus's Avatar

Cagger since
    Jun 2007
    I am in
    I am out in out in out I shake me all about

Quote Originally Posted by mikeyboy0911 View Post
    hello. please can someone give me some advice. i took out a loan agreement with a company when i purchased a new TV from currys. I paid my initial deposit payment to the loan company and then currys accidently sent a credit note to the loan company and cleared the balance of the loan with the credit note. The loan company refunded my deposit payment. Now currys are hassling me daily to pay them direct for the TV. Is this right?
    Purchasing a TV is giving payment for goods. This is the sticking point

Quote Originally Posted by mikeyboy0911 View Post
    understand, but looking at it from a legal point ...... i dont have an agreement with currys. my agreement was with the loan company and currys paid my agreement with a credit note
    From a legal point of view you have a TV that you took from currys without paying for it. No matter who was at fault, I think a Judge will say you have to pay for it HOWEVER I would also say a Judge would not let you be made any worse off through currys mistake.

My attempt at sorting this would go as follows: Whatever the repayments were, I would personally offer this, but make the repayments equate to the retail price without any interesticon. So if it was a 500 TV and the repayments were 10 per week for 1 year total 520, I would offer 10 per week for 50 weeks totaling the retail price. Offer this in writing and keep to the agreement if they accept. I doubt they could get more from a court, so I think they will accept.

If in doubt, contact a qualified insured legal professional (or my wife... she knows EVERYTHING)

Or send a cheque or postal order payable to Reclaim the Right Ltd.
    to
    923 Finchley Road London NW11 7PE

Click here if you fancy an email address that shows you mean business! (only 6 and that will really help CAG)

If you can't donate, please use the Internet Search boxes on the CAG pages - these will generate a small but regular income for the site

Please also consider using the C.A.G. Toolbar
    Follows
    Following

Cagger since
    Mar 2012

Quote Originally Posted by locutus View Post
    Purchasing a TV is giving payment for goods. This is the sticking point

From a legal point of view you have a TV that you took from currys without paying for it. No matter who was at fault, I think a Judge will say you have to pay for it HOWEVER I would also say a Judge would not let you be made any worse off through currys mistake.

My attempt at sorting this would go as follows: Whatever the repayments were, I would personally offer this, but make the repayments equate to the retail price without any interesticon. So if it was a 500 TV and the repayments were 10 per week for 1 year total 520, I would offer 10 per week for 50 weeks totaling the retail price. Offer this in writing and keep to the agreement if they accept. I doubt they could get more from a court, so I think they will accept.

Thats good advice ..... my only problem now is I did try and resolve this with currys. They wanted to do another finance agreement, which i accepted but for some strange reason the finance agreement FAILED. Dont see how it failed as only 3 weeks prior it was ACCEPTED by the finance company. Based on this currys are now saying that they either want FULL payment in full or they want the tv back. What would you suggest?

Gold Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Download our toolbar
    locutus Authoritative locutus Authoritative locutus Authoritative locutus Authoritative locutus Authoritative locutus Authoritative locutus Authoritative locutus Authoritative locutus Authoritative locutus Authoritative locutus Authoritative locutus's Avatar

Cagger since
    Jun 2007
    I am in
    I am out in out in out I shake me all about

OK, the reason it will have failed is becayse you just applied for credit 3 weeks before. Applying for credit lowers your credit score.

Write to them at their registered address.

DSG RETAIL LIMITED
    MAYLANDS AVENUE
    HEMEL HEMPSTEAD
    HERTFORDSHIRE
    HP2 7TG
    Explain the situation and offer the settlement. The worst they can do is take you to court, and they'll appear pretty stupid, and a judge will only award what you have already offered (full settlement split into installments)

If in doubt, contact a qualified insured legal professional (or my wife... she knows EVERYTHING)

Or send a cheque or postal order payable to Reclaim the Right Ltd.
    to
    923 Finchley Road London NW11 7PE

Click here if you fancy an email address that shows you mean business! (only 6 and that will really help CAG)

If you can't donate, please use the Internet Search boxes on the CAG pages - these will generate a small but regular income for the site

Please also consider using the C.A.G. Toolbar
    Follows
    Following

Basic Account Holder my-spirit-soars-free Informative my-spirit-soars-free Informative

Cagger since
    Apr 2010

You really need to get a copy of your credit history to find out what is showing on the previous loan - it may still be showing, or it may be showing as cancelled.

i would also say that you are in the stronger position here - there is no reason for you to go chasing round after this - it is the retailers mistake, so they can sort it out.

Either they let you pay in installments, or they sort out a loan to match the previous one.

They should also be giving you something off for your trouble, especially as they are messing up your credit record with repeated applications.

Basic Account Holder KANGO Novitiate KANGO's Avatar

Cagger since
    Apr 2012
    I am in
    Manchester

Quote Originally Posted by my-spirit-soars-free View Post
    You really need to get a copy of your credit history to find out what is showing on the previous loan - it may still be showing, or it may be showing as cancelled.

i would also say that you are in the stronger position here - there is no reason for you to go chasing round after this - it is the retailers mistake, so they can sort it out.

Either they let you pay in installments, or they sort out a loan to match the previous one.

They should also be giving you something off for your trouble, especially as they are messing up your credit record with repeated applications.
    DSG (Dixons online, Currys, PC World) have also changed finance provider, they were HFC but I don't know who they use now - EX DSGi employee

Viewing CAG on a small screen? Switch to the mobile version of the site

Reclaim the Right Ltd. - reg.05783665 in the UK reg. office:- 923 Finchley Road London NW11 7PE