Patricia Pearl - Small Claims Procedure - A Practical Guide

An excellent guide for the layperson in how to use the County Court - a must if you are intending to start a claim.

£19.99 + £1.50 (P&P)

+ Reply to Thread
    Basic Account Holder Zonker Novitiate

Follow Real_CAG on Twitter

Cagger since
    Mar 2012

Default Phone call from a debt collector

Had a phone callicon today from an upset debt collector. Didnt like the way he acted on the phone , failing to do data protection for a start and he ended the phone callicon with we will send a doorstep collector.

Did 1471 , got the number and rang it back in the afternoon when i hoped they wernt there. It identified the debt collector so i sent them an email basically saying dont ring me or it will be deemed harresment, saying it was an official complaint for breaching data protection, oft guidelines and thier own code of conduct. I did the revoking the implied common law of visiting me. I made known that im complaining to others as well about their action, oft and data protection people and the code of conduct regulators.

Hope i havnt jumped the gun but i was really worried that they might speak to my kids who answered phone or door and give them grief. In fact if they do the trick of keep hammering on the door it will upset my kids alone. I have an ex wife that gives me enough to be hard skinned.

I can only assume its a debt thats been passed to them from another debt collector that i told in no uncertain terms that they cant ring me and i didnt get any of their letters they claimed to have sent. (Not my aim in life to make their job easier)

Any advice if they do turn up at the door?

Site Team dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk's Avatar

Cagger since
    Dec 2006
    I am in
    a sort of fire-fighting role here. Hate HFC & their compulsory PPI ethos

Default Re: Phone call from a debt collector

no legal powers at all

your cat has more

who were they?

dx

Credit Reference Agencies:Experian Equifax CallCredit noddle<<<<CRA FILE INFO IS HERE<<<<
    fed up with DCA's calling get a TRUECALL BOX!! - HERE
    Sort Your Debts Now - - here

Start Your Own Thread - HERE

1. Single Premium PPI Q&A Read Here
    2. Reclaim mis-sold PPI Read Here
    3. Reclaim Loan, Credit Card, mortgage & CAtalogue Charges Read Here
    my views are my own...seek legal advice if ness
    NEVER EVER - act on a private message asking you to visit another website, make contact 'off list' or by telephone
    - alert the siteteam IMMEDIATELY by hitting the black warning triangle on any message - Particularly if this results in a request to pay a fee to help you.

DX
    RIP Martin3030
    Follows
    Following

Basic Account Holder heathrow Novitiate

Cagger since
    Dec 2008

If theyb turn up at your home (very doubtful) you don't have to answer the door or speak to them. If you do just ask them to leave and nothing more. Do not enter into a conversation with them. If they won't leave tell them they are trespacing and call the police. Who were they?

Platinum Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Make a donation
    unclebulgaria67 Authoritative unclebulgaria67 Authoritative unclebulgaria67 Authoritative unclebulgaria67 Authoritative unclebulgaria67 Authoritative unclebulgaria67 Authoritative unclebulgaria67 Authoritative unclebulgaria67 Authoritative unclebulgaria67 Authoritative unclebulgaria67 Authoritative unclebulgaria67 Authoritative unclebulgaria67's Avatar

Cagger since
    Feb 2010

You probably won't have anyone turn up. They are mostly self employed and don't make much of an effort. I am led to believe that they don't even get paid expenses, so if they don't live near to you, they won't waste petrol money.

If you have not had letters about this, then wait for them to write to you and then send the prove it letter that is in the libraryicon.

Cagger since
    Mar 2012

From the phone number it appeared to be JB debt recovery.

Platinum Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Make a donation
    unclebulgaria67 Authoritative unclebulgaria67 Authoritative unclebulgaria67 Authoritative unclebulgaria67 Authoritative unclebulgaria67 Authoritative unclebulgaria67 Authoritative unclebulgaria67 Authoritative unclebulgaria67 Authoritative unclebulgaria67 Authoritative unclebulgaria67 Authoritative unclebulgaria67 Authoritative unclebulgaria67's Avatar

Cagger since
    Feb 2010

I seem to remember that they chased for a relatives debt and it was very short lived i.e about 2 letters, before it was passed onto another company.

Cagger since
    Mar 2012

Am i right in saying that without passing data protection requirements and ending the call with ill send a doorstep collectoricon..means they have by asking for me by name and failed to do verification knowingly broken data protection rules? (as i didnt do dp verification i could have been anyone?)

Platinum Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Make a donation

Cagger since
    Feb 2010

Quote Originally Posted by Zonker View Post
    Am i right in saying that without passing data protection requirements and ending the call with ill send a doorstep collectoricon..means they have by asking for me by name and failed to do verification knowingly broken data protection rules? (as i didnt do dp verification i could have been anyone?)
    They have to validate atleast 3 separate bits of info to identify you, before they can release any personal dataicon.

So if they released any personal dataicon, without do the data pro checks, then yes they have breached the DPA.

If you read the posts of many others who have complained to the ICOicon, unless the breach is serious or happening all the time, they don't appear that interested.

Just make a note of this and make a complaint to the compliance manager of the debt company, if the debt company writes to you.

Cagger since
    Mar 2012

Thank you , i spoke to someone at the ICOicon, seems prinicpal 7 is appropriate i believe. So waiting now is what i have to do

Viewing CAG on a small screen? Switch to the mobile version of the site

Reclaim the Right Ltd. - reg.05783665 in the UK reg. office:- 923 Finchley Road London NW11 7PE