Patricia Pearl - Small Claims Procedure - A Practical Guide

An excellent guide for the layperson in how to use the County Court - a must if you are intending to start a claim.

£19.99 + £1.50 (P&P)

+ Reply to Thread
    Basic Account Holder levemir Novitiate

Follow Real_CAG on Twitter

Cagger since
    Dec 2011

Question hrmc / dla and motability

hello there
    my dad has a motorbility car using the higher rate mobility component of the dla, due to various medical problems

he has last week gone into hospital after having quite a bad stroke

currently, I am using his car to take family members to visit him in hospital, after an enquiry to check this was ok - motorbility say "Provided your dad is deriving material and/or practical benefit from the car and has access to it when required, he does not necessarily have to be present every time the car is used. For example if you do not have your own transport and you are using your dad's car to visit your dad or you are taking family members to visit your dad on a regular basis, he is receiving benefit from his car" mean that yes its ok for this use, I do have my own transport btw.

but in some of the leaflets about stroke we have seen, it says dla will stop after 28 days - will the payments for the mobility car also stop? / car have to go back? I can foresee he will be in hospital for a while.

thanks for looking

Site Team stu007 Authoritative stu007 Authoritative stu007 Authoritative stu007 Authoritative stu007 Authoritative stu007 Authoritative stu007 Authoritative stu007 Authoritative stu007 Authoritative stu007 Authoritative stu007 Authoritative stu007's Avatar

Cagger since
    Dec 2010
    I am in
    scotland

Default Re: hrmc / dla and motability

Hi

My mother sadly no longer here had a motability car and when she was in hospital we had the same concerns about the car and they could not be more helpul at that time and as my father drove they just immediatley added him to the insurance and classed him as an additional driver but we made sure everything was in writing to basically be on the safe side if anything happened with the car.

I think you need to contact Motability and get it in writing that you are allowed to drive that car.

* They insure via RSA and RSA do need to know if there are any additional drivers of the vehicle for insurance purposes. So you would need this in writing from Motability that you do not require to inform RSA that you are an additional driver of the motabvility vehicle.

* They do have a policy on additional drivers but in hospital circumstances its always best to be open and inform them of the circumstances they will do there best to help you but please ensure you ask for it in writing to keep you on the safe side especially with the insurance.

Here is a link to Motabilitys Website: www.motability.co.uk

On there website at the top Click Car Scheme
    Look down the left side for Customer Zone and Click
    Near Middle of Screen Click Nominated Drivers

That Info may be useful

Follows
    Following

Platinum Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Make a donation
    Nystagmite Highly informative Nystagmite Highly informative Nystagmite Highly informative Nystagmite Highly informative Nystagmite Highly informative Nystagmite Highly informative Nystagmite Highly informative

Cagger since
    Feb 2011

I seem to remember that if the mobility part is paid to motability, that part isn't stopped; but it's stopped if you receive the mobility part as cash.

Cagger since
    Dec 2011

the insurance part is sorted, I have been a named driver on the policy for two years

its the dla stopping and possible loss of the car should he stay in hospital that is of concern - mainly to my mum at this stage, am sure that when he comes out of hospital we will need that car more than ever

Site Team antone Authoritative antone Authoritative antone Authoritative antone Authoritative antone Authoritative antone Authoritative antone Authoritative antone Authoritative antone Authoritative antone Authoritative antone Authoritative antone's Avatar

Cagger since
    May 2009
    I am in
    Linlithgow

The answer as per this link to the NHS advice site is that no, Motability will continue even if the hospital stay lasts longer than 28 days.

Cagger since
    Dec 2011

thankyou

Viewing CAG on a small screen? Switch to the mobile version of the site

Reclaim the Right Ltd. - reg.05783665 in the UK reg. office:- 923 Finchley Road London NW11 7PE