Patricia Pearl - Small Claims Procedure - A Practical Guide


An excellent guide for the layperson in how to use the County Court - a must if you are intending to start a claim.

£19.99 + £1.50 (P&P)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 20
1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 399
  1. #1
    Basic Account Holder jonny46 Novitiate

    Follow Real_CAG on Twitter

    Cagger since
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    7

    Default Help with RLP

    Hello,
    i am worried about court because I have received a letter from RLPicon saying that if they take me to court it will cost loads more.

    I have been to see a solicitor and he said to pay because if I keep denying it and they have proof and take me to court I will have to pay their court costs which can be in the thousands.

    I'm really reluctant to pay though because they sent my grandmother a letter and it was only when I showed them a copy of her passport
    to show that she is 67 years old that they said they would suspend the case but that if she did it again they would reopen the case!

    I know I did wrong but all she did was point to the items and it was me who took them.

    I took full responsibility and they still wrote to her.

    I hate them and they disgust me.

    If I thought they would take me to court then I would pay because I can’t afford to pay thousands.

    My solicitor has said that the claim has been issued.

    Not sure what this means,
    but really would like to find out if they will actually take me to court.


  2. #2
    Site Team rebel11 Authoritative rebel11 Authoritative rebel11 Authoritative rebel11 Authoritative rebel11 Authoritative rebel11 Authoritative rebel11 Authoritative rebel11 Authoritative rebel11 Authoritative rebel11 Authoritative rebel11 Authoritative

    Follow Real_CAG on Twitter

    Cagger since
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    20,005
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Help with RLP

    Hi jonny

    Welcome to CAGicon

    You've got your own thread. What documents have you received? and from whom?

    To date RLPicon haven't taken anyone to court, they do like to send out letter's which are speculative invoices.

    I'm not sure what you mean by the following:- 'My solicitor has said that the claim has been issued.'


  3. #3
    Site Team Sidewinder Authoritative Sidewinder Authoritative Sidewinder Authoritative Sidewinder Authoritative Sidewinder Authoritative Sidewinder Authoritative Sidewinder Authoritative Sidewinder Authoritative Sidewinder Authoritative Sidewinder Authoritative Sidewinder Authoritative Sidewinder's Avatar

    Follow Real_CAG on Twitter

    Cagger since
    Jan 2007
    I am in
    The Zone
    Posts
    5,039

    Default Re: Help with RLP

    Agree with Rebel - you say that the solicitor said that "....they will take you to court" then that the solicitor said that "...the claim has been issued". Which is true?


  4. #4
    Basic Account Holder jonny46 Novitiate

    Follow Real_CAG on Twitter

    Cagger since
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    7

    Default Re: Help with RLP

    He said that I have to give my defence by next week. He said that I can say that because I'm on benefits, I can't afford to pay, and that I need my car to take my grandmother to and from her hospital appointments. I haven't got any documents, but I don't know what documents my solicitor has.


  5. #5
    Site Team andydd Authoritative andydd Authoritative andydd Authoritative andydd Authoritative andydd Authoritative andydd Authoritative andydd Authoritative andydd Authoritative andydd Authoritative

    Follow Real_CAG on Twitter

    Cagger since
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    4,343

    Default Re: Help with RLP

    This doesnt make sense.

    Have you received a claim formicon from the Court ?. or have you only received a letter from RLPicon ?

    Many of us here would be very surprsied if you have actually received a court claim, for us to help you we will need more info, a scan of letters/court docs (with names & address redacted) would help.,

    Benfits and cars/granmdmothers are irrelevant at this stage, lets deal with the facts.

    Why do you not know what doc your solicitor has ?, surely the only docs he has are ones youve given them !?
    Andy


  6. #6
    Site Team ScarletPimpernel Highly authoritative ScarletPimpernel Highly authoritative ScarletPimpernel Highly authoritative ScarletPimpernel Highly authoritative ScarletPimpernel Highly authoritative ScarletPimpernel Highly authoritative ScarletPimpernel Highly authoritative ScarletPimpernel Highly authoritative ScarletPimpernel Highly authoritative ScarletPimpernel Highly authoritative ScarletPimpernel Highly authoritative ScarletPimpernel's Avatar

    Follow Real_CAG on Twitter

    Cagger since
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    6,302

    Default Re: Help with RLP

    Some of RLPicon's standard letters ask for a defence to be submitted to them, even though no claim has been issued.


  7. #7
    Site Team rebel11 Authoritative rebel11 Authoritative rebel11 Authoritative rebel11 Authoritative rebel11 Authoritative rebel11 Authoritative rebel11 Authoritative rebel11 Authoritative rebel11 Authoritative rebel11 Authoritative rebel11 Authoritative

    Follow Real_CAG on Twitter

    Cagger since
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    20,005
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Help with RLP

    Hi jonny

    I wonder if your solicitor is trying to pull a fast one. Is he trying to extract fees from you by making you think that a court claim has been instigated.


  8. #8
    Site Team andydd Authoritative andydd Authoritative andydd Authoritative andydd Authoritative andydd Authoritative andydd Authoritative andydd Authoritative andydd Authoritative andydd Authoritative

    Follow Real_CAG on Twitter

    Cagger since
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    4,343

    Default Re: Help with RLP

    Quote Originally Posted by ScarletPimpernel View Post
    Some of RLPicon's standard letters ask for a defence to be submitted to them, even though no claim has been issued.
    Aha...which of course has no legal basis.


  9. #9
    Classic Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Make a contribution
    2Grumpy Highly informative 2Grumpy Highly informative 2Grumpy Highly informative 2Grumpy Highly informative 2Grumpy Highly informative 2Grumpy Highly informative

    Follow Real_CAG on Twitter

    Cagger since
    Jun 2007
    I am in
    transigent
    Posts
    2,995

    Default Re: Help with RLP

    Quote Originally Posted by jonny46 View Post
    Hello, I too am worried about court because I have received a letter from RLPicon saying that if they take me to court it will cost loads more. I have been to see a solicitor and he said to pay because if I keep denying it and they have proof and take me to court I will have to pay their court costs which can be in the thousands. I'm really reluctant to pay though because they sent my grandmother a letter and it was only when I showed them a copy of her passport to show that she is 67 years old that they said they would suspend the case but that if she did it again they would reopen the case! I know I did wrong but all she did was point to the items and it was me who took them. I took full responsibility and they still wrote to her. I hate them and they disgust me. If I thought they would take me to court then I would pay because I canít afford to pay thousands. My solicitor has said that the claim has been issued. Not sure what this means, but really would like to find out if they will actually take me to court.
    RLPicon won't take you to court - they haven't suffered any losses.

    You haven't really said what happened, but if you were stopped and any goods taken were recovered then it's difficult to see what the store's losses were. In general, you would not be responsible for paying any of the store's security costs

    How much are RLP asking for? Most amounts they claim would be covered by the small claimsicon court where costs cannot be claimed.

    Any claim should have been sent direct, so you should know what is happening.

    You will have to provide more detail of what has happened.


  10. #10
    Basic Account Holder jonny46 Novitiate

    Follow Real_CAG on Twitter

    Cagger since
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    7

    Default Re: Help with RLP

    Thank you for all your comments.
    I called my solicitor and told him what you have all said.

    He said that the claim is not against RLPicon but against TK Maxx and that if I want to deny liability
    then there is a chance that the case will go to the fast track instead of the small claimsicon court where I will have to pay TK Maxx costs if I lose.

    He said that once he has submitted my defence the court will give him a date for the hearing when we find out which court it is in.

    I asked him why I didn't get the forms and he said because he is my solicitor and that everything has to go to him.

    He also said that he is acting pro bono so I won't have to pay any solicitor costs but that the amount would be higher.
    I know he's (the solicitor) not trying to [problem] me because he's a friend of a friend.

    He said that they have offered to close the case if I pay £100.00 and he thinks I should pay because otherwise it will be more.

    He is going to send me a copy of the claim.

    Really don't know what to do...


  11. #11
    Site Team rebel11 Authoritative rebel11 Authoritative rebel11 Authoritative rebel11 Authoritative rebel11 Authoritative rebel11 Authoritative rebel11 Authoritative rebel11 Authoritative rebel11 Authoritative rebel11 Authoritative rebel11 Authoritative

    Follow Real_CAG on Twitter

    Cagger since
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    20,005
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Help with RLP

    Hi jonny

    When you receive the documents from the solicitor, can you post the details of the claim.


  12. #12
    Basic Account Holder ebone Novitiate

    Follow Real_CAG on Twitter

    Cagger since
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    2

    Default Re: Help with RLP

    Hi, 2 grumpy, I think your information about going to court is out of date. I've also received court papers about a shoplifting in TK Maxx and the amount they are now claiming is the original £137.50 plus £80 court fees and £35 solicitor fees, so the bill is now £252.50. I looked on RLPicon's website and they show the cases they have taken to court recently. I don't know what to do now because one person has to pay £1900.00. I wish i'd paid the £137.50 now. I don't know what to do either


  13. #13
    Site Team honeybee13 Authoritative honeybee13 Authoritative honeybee13 Authoritative honeybee13 Authoritative honeybee13 Authoritative honeybee13 Authoritative honeybee13 Authoritative honeybee13 Authoritative honeybee13 Authoritative honeybee13 Authoritative honeybee13 Authoritative honeybee13's Avatar

    Follow Real_CAG on Twitter

    Cagger since
    Nov 2009
    I am in
    Pixie land.
    Posts
    29,394

    Default Re: Help with RLP

    Hello there.

    Would you be able to post up what the court papers say, minus personal details please?

    And is it definitely an original court document and not a photocopy?

    My best, HB


  14. #14
    Site Team andydd Authoritative andydd Authoritative andydd Authoritative andydd Authoritative andydd Authoritative andydd Authoritative andydd Authoritative andydd Authoritative andydd Authoritative

    Follow Real_CAG on Twitter

    Cagger since
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    4,343

    Default Re: Help with RLP

    Seems to be some confusion here, No-one has ever actually seen a legitimate court claim from RLPicon, so would be very useful if the above posters would scan and post up the claim forms.

    It is worth noting that claims under £5000 are allocated to the small track (where costs are limited to smallish fixed costs), as far as I'm aware denying libailty doesnt mean the case will go on the fast track, in fact, I'd strongly argue that it shouldnt, after all, the small track is 'designed' for low cost claims such as this.

    No-one has any idea whether any of the court claims on the RLPicon are indeed true , there is no way of check county courticon claims, so they may all be fabricated.

    Jonny..You still seem a bit confused as to what exactly your solicitor is doing, you really should be kept inthe loop and see all the forms, all he is doing at this stage is just the basic form filling that really anyone can do, its not that difficult.

    Andy


  15. #15
    Site Team dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk's Avatar

    Follow Real_CAG on Twitter

    Cagger since
    Dec 2006
    I am in
    a sort of fire-fighting role here. Hate HFC & their compulsory PPI ethos
    Posts
    68,667

    Default Re: Help with RLP

    yes come-on

    POST THE COURT PApers

    urm.......thats two people saying they have them BUT NO PROOF YET..

    here's the link to post up your PROOF
    of court papers. or claim forms...

    scan the required letters/agreements/sheets
    as a picture[jpg] file
    remove all pers info inc barcodes etc using paint program
    but leave all figures and dates.

    goto one of the many free online pdf converter websites
    it would be better to uploadicon a multipage pdf
    than many single ones
    or if you have PDF as an installed printer drive use that
    or use word and save as pdf
    open a new msg box here
    hit go advanced below the msg box
    hit manage attachments below that box
    hit the add files button on the top right
    hit select files, navigate to your file[s] on your pc
    hit upload files
    NB:you can set where it goes in the post by hitting insert inline.
    then hit reply button
    dx


  16. #16
    Site Team dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk Highly authoritative dx100uk's Avatar

    Follow Real_CAG on Twitter

    Cagger since
    Dec 2006
    I am in
    a sort of fire-fighting role here. Hate HFC & their compulsory PPI ethos
    Posts
    68,667

    Default Re: Help with RLP

    Quote Originally Posted by ebone View Post
    Hi, 2 grumpy,
    I think your information about going to court is out of date.
    I've also received court papers about a shoplifting in TK Maxx and the amount they are now claiming is the original £137.50 plus £80 court fees and £35 solicitor fees, so the bill is now £252.50.

    I looked on RLPicon's website and they show the cases they have taken to court recently.

    I don't know what to do now because one person has to pay £1900.00.

    I wish i'd paid the £137.50 now.

    I don't know what to do either
    they HAVEN'T taken anyone to court

    those reports are NOT TKmaxx

    dx


  17. #17
    Classic Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Make a contribution
    2Grumpy Highly informative 2Grumpy Highly informative 2Grumpy Highly informative 2Grumpy Highly informative 2Grumpy Highly informative 2Grumpy Highly informative

    Follow Real_CAG on Twitter

    Cagger since
    Jun 2007
    I am in
    transigent
    Posts
    2,995

    Default Re: Help with RLP

    Anyone getting court papers for a claim initiated by RLPicon should definately contest the entire amount.

    If the store is doing it, then you should also contest the entire amount, but make a cpr request to get all of the information and details and a breakdown of the amounts claimed.


  18. #18
    Site Team andydd Authoritative andydd Authoritative andydd Authoritative andydd Authoritative andydd Authoritative andydd Authoritative andydd Authoritative andydd Authoritative andydd Authoritative

    Follow Real_CAG on Twitter

    Cagger since
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    4,343

    Default Re: Help with RLP

    Although I dont know anyone who has actually seen a valid court claim "!


  19. #19
    Site Team ScarletPimpernel Highly authoritative ScarletPimpernel Highly authoritative ScarletPimpernel Highly authoritative ScarletPimpernel Highly authoritative ScarletPimpernel Highly authoritative ScarletPimpernel Highly authoritative ScarletPimpernel Highly authoritative ScarletPimpernel Highly authoritative ScarletPimpernel Highly authoritative ScarletPimpernel Highly authoritative ScarletPimpernel Highly authoritative ScarletPimpernel's Avatar

    Follow Real_CAG on Twitter

    Cagger since
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    6,302

    Default Re: Help with RLP

    Quote Originally Posted by ebone View Post
    Hi, 2 grumpy, I think your information about going to court is out of date. I've also received court papers about a shoplifting in TK Maxx and the amount they are now claiming is the original £137.50 plus £80 court fees and £35 solicitor fees, so the bill is now £252.50. I looked on RLPicon's website and they show the cases they have taken to court recently. I don't know what to do now because one person has to pay £1900.00. I wish i'd paid the £137.50 now. I don't know what to do either
    1. The cases RLPicon took to court - and there are very, very few of them - all relate to employee theft.

    2. Post up the court papers so we can see them.


  20. #20
    Classic Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Make a contribution
    2Grumpy Highly informative 2Grumpy Highly informative 2Grumpy Highly informative 2Grumpy Highly informative 2Grumpy Highly informative 2Grumpy Highly informative

    Follow Real_CAG on Twitter

    Cagger since
    Jun 2007
    I am in
    transigent
    Posts
    2,995

    Default Re: Help with RLP

    Quote Originally Posted by jonny46 View Post
    Thank you for all your comments.
    I called my solicitor and told him what you have all said.

    He said that the claim is not against RLPicon but against TK Maxx and that if I want to deny liability
    then there is a chance that the case will go to the fast track instead of the small claimsicon court where I will have to pay TK Maxx costs if I lose.

    He said that once he has submitted my defence the court will give him a date for the hearing when we find out which court it is in.

    I asked him why I didn't get the forms and he said because he is my solicitor and that everything has to go to him.

    He also said that he is acting pro bono so I won't have to pay any solicitor costs but that the amount would be higher.
    I know he's (the solicitor) not trying to [problem] me because he's a friend of a friend.

    He said that they have offered to close the case if I pay £100.00 and he thinks I should pay because otherwise it will be more.

    He is going to send me a copy of the claim.

    Really don't know what to do...
    £100 is not going to be fast-tracked.

    Without you scanning a copy of the court claim we can't really help much more

    n.b. what type of work does your solicitor normally work in?



Viewing CAG on a small screen? Switch to the mobile version of the site

Reclaim the Right Ltd. - reg.05783665 in the UK reg. office:- 923 Finchley Road London NW11 7PE