• Tweets

• Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Unsolicited nuisance calls from "ppi helpline"-warning notice!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3943 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Over the last 2 weeks, my phone line has been deluged with daily Unsolicited 'live', recorded message, and 'call-back' phone calls, from a Company naming itself as "PPI Helpline".

Up to 4-5 calls each day, even in the early morning and late into the evening.

My Call Display indicates that the numbers this Company uses to make these calls are-

08451 550 0228 (for the live operator calls)

08452 861 811 (for the recorded message and 'call-me-back' calls)

The 'call-back' recorded messages are devious- the message says 'we need to speak to you urgently- Press "3" to return this call..." (this will cost you a lot!!)

I am already registered with the Telephone Preference Service, so should not be receiving these calls,

I did answer the first few calls, to demand that my phone number and details be immediately removed from their Company's database, and no further calls must be made to me- Their telephonist/salesperson just hung up on me.

I made a Formal Complaint to the Telephone Preference Service, and was told that this Company had already been identified as being a source of unsolicited nuisance Calls- they are also listed on several Internet 'Telepest' websites as repeated offenders.

I also have checked with the Ministry of Justice with whom the Telephone Preference Service informs me that the Company is regulated by.

Their Claims Management Regulator section, have asked me to make a Formal Complaint to them, regarding the conduct of PPI Helpline, as the Licence the Company holds, forbids them from -

"not engaging in face to face ‘cold calling’, or in any form of high pressure selling"

I strongly suspect that I am not the only person adversely affected by the high pressure tactics, and nuisance, caused by the Company- "PPI Helpline" so if you have suffered nuisance calls from them too, I suggest that you also make a Formal Complaint to the Ministry of Justice-Claims Management Regulator, whose details are-

Claims Management Regulation Unit, 57 – 60 High Street, Burton–upon–Trent, Staffordshire, DE14 1JS

General enquiries Telephone: 0845 450 6858 / 01283 233309 (9-5pm)

Website- http://www.justice.gov.uk/claims-regulation

Do feel free to reply to this Post, if you have also been affected.

Dave Grieve, Scotland. :mad2::mad2:

Just a quick update-

Ministry of Justice, Claims Regulator Manager, phoned me this afternoon regarding my Complaint.

Apparently, the owners of PPI Helpline state that they do not have a call centre that makes unsolicited phone calls, and that the calls may be coming from someone who is 'piggy=backing' the real PPi Helpline!

The M of J are finding out from the phone numbers, listed above, who actually owns them, as it is a possible case of Company Fraud and Impersonation.

They also suspect that the callers will always ask for 'money up front'- so there also could be a strong allegation of Fraud, as the callers are NOT registered as a Claim Management Company with the Ministry of Justice so consumers have no form of protection, nor actually is the callers allowed to operate as a Claim Management Company.

So again, if YOU get a cold call from someone saying they are from PPI Helpline, as according to the owners of this Company they do NOT make calls of this kind, hang up, take a note of the Caller Display phone number, and let the Ministry of Justice know using the contact details in my original posting.

Be Warned !! and pass this on.......

• 5 months later...

Hi

OMG I am beyond frustrated with these calls. I too have registered with the TPS but to no avail.

I just had one call now so I googled the PPI Helpline number and found this forum.

I am so glad that I am not the only one being plagued by them(however I wouldn't wish their hounding on anyone) and whenever I ask to be take of the list or press option x to speak to someone they just hang up. Unfortunately no number showed up so I couldn't ring them back.

I will be making a written complaint and if a number ever does come up I will be writing to them.

Thank you for all your info and suggestions

Saf2

• 4 weeks later...

I too receive the recorded messages almost daily, and the "press 9 to opt out" certainly has no effect.

I've tried several times to allow myself to be put through to an operator and asked to be removed from their database and they just hang up. What wonderful jobs those people must have!

The telephone number is always concealed.

If, as the "real" PPI Helpline are claiming, this is other unregistered operators impersonating them, it begs the question of how we can make a complaint with no company or telephone number to complain about!

• 3 weeks later...

This is a company called "Aims Review".

I know this because after hundreds (and I mean hundreds) of calls from them including calls where they repetitively hung up on me, called me stupid, told me I can't read and swore at me, I decided to say yes to everything they asked.

They then read out a legal statement saying that the company is Aims Review. If you tell them that you need your PPI claimed back then they will read out the same statement.

I don't know how you managed to get that far with the ministry of justice as there is no such company as the ppi helpline. If they say they are from the PPI Helpline or Hotline then they know they are flat out liars.

Now, the fun starts when I ring the head office. First of all on their website aimsreview.com, they clearly state that they are not registered in the UK. It's based out in Gibraltar. I'm no international business lawyer, but I am pretty sure that Gibraltars laws are a lot less stringent to ours.

I have phoned the head office a few times to calmly and polity ask them to stop and they say it's not them! it is. I say I have recordings of them saying that it is aims Review and I usually get hung up on. The last time I was called a "tosser".

I live over 200 miles from their offices ( Unit 7 Trident Park, Trident Way, Blackburn, BB1 3NU ), however it is at the point now where I am about to make the journey.

Failing that, I'm gonna expose all the managers and staff and and let all of their friends and family know that they are lying [problem] artists.

• 3 weeks later...

I am sick to death of constant bombardment from PPI Helpline.

How can I get their address, to send them a bill for constant interruption to my working day.

I understand someone has just raised an invoice for his time wasted and got paid.

There are obviously dozens of these companies at it.

The phone number today was 08434103912 on a 1471 look up.

Initially I took the call and pressed 5 as requested. When I asked for the address the man on the other end put the phone down.

I had one of these today which prompted me to do a search for 'PPI Helpline' and led me to this forum. I've also had loads of texts, from various numbers, the usual rubbish, totally unsolicited and extremely annoying.

Today's phone call was a recorded message during which I was prompted to press '5' to follow on with the 'claim', so I did. When I was answered I asked the person what their company name was and he said "PPI Helpline" and launched in to the usual spiel about what they do. I let him rattle on a bit, after all the call isn't on my bill, then when he was finished and wanted to start taking information from me I said I'd need to think about it and would call them back and I asked for a landline number on which to do so. The guy promptly hung up.

The number I was called from was 07588 155435.

These calls are an insidious invasion of privacy. I do hope the companies doing this get caught and heavily fined, though I won't hold my breath on that happening!

I've reported the number and details of the call to the ICO.

Greg

Edited by bikerthing

I get weekly texts telling me there is £2,300+ ready to be posted to me immediately, and to contact the number.

I managed to get my phone provider (02) to block the calls as they were subscription based and I have never subscribed.

This kind of behaviour is really below the belt and very annoying - I've had a phantom caller for about a week but they seem to have given up now.

• 3 weeks later...

I get daily calls. I asked them today who they were and where they got their funding and they hung up on me. Numbers I got called from are 01214690045 and I also get texts from 07501958495. They are such a pain and keep on waking my baby up...

I just had the same phone call from "PPI Helpline". Number came up as 0843 410 4412. As soon as I started asking questions about who they were and what they did the phone went dead. Funny that. Please somebody nail them!

Edited by ims21

I am sick to death of constant bombardment from PPI Helpline.

How can I get their address, to send them a bill for constant interruption to my working day.

I understand someone has just raised an invoice for his time wasted and got paid.

There are obviously dozens of these companies at it.

The phone number today was 08434103912 on a 1471 look up.

Initially I took the call and pressed 5 as requested. When I asked for the address the man on the other end put the phone down.

As someone else stated the PPI Helpline is indeed a company called Aims (they go by variations of Aims e.g. Aims Review, Aims Legal etc) they also have a pension switching operation (Forensic Review & Yardstick Marketing) that operates The Pension Helpline. All of these firms belong to the same people and operate from the same building.

As somebody else stated Aims may well be registered in Gibraltar and have satellite offices in the UK but their main operations are in Spain a quick search on google comes up with this address:

Av. Andasol, KM 189 29604, Marbella Malaga

Tel: 952835501

When questioned they have a habit of not telling people who they are or where they are based and in most cases simply hang up when callers push for these details. That way you cannot take action against them as you don't know who they are. Yet they are passing off as the legitimate government helplines!

• 1 month later...
I just had the same phone call from "PPI Helpline". Number came up as 0843 410 4412. As soon as I started asking questions about who they were and what they did the phone went dead. Funny that. Please somebody nail them!

On the "tellows" site you can find some more informations to 0843 410 4412. maybe it helps you.

• 2 weeks later...
If everyone complained to BBC Watchdog , I'm sure we can expose these people and get the nuisance calls to end!

Please visit BBC Watchdog and write a complaint.

Please see my post above from 4th Dec as I have previously stated the PPI helpline and also the Pension Helpline are operated by the same company and that is Aims Review. They are based in Spain. Their address and phone number is listed in my post above. When you press 5 to speak to someone you are speaking to someone in Spain not Bury or Lancashire or anywhere else in the UK.

The directors of the company are Adam Bennett, Thomas William Edwardson, Tom Edwardson Jnr, Michael Salter, Michael Costello and John James. They have a policy to keep calling people and have informed their staff to hung up if they are asked to many questions or just say yes we will take you off the list but they don't bother. Soon I will find out the directors personal phone numbers and list them here so everyone can call them all hours of the day!

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

I unwittingly hit on the answer to stop these at the first call - I am on the TP 'no cold calls list', but when I picked the phone up had problems hearing them and asked them to explain what they were on about. Having an income of less than £10K a year (I've been medically retired for many years) I had little idea what they meant by PPI and said so, I asked what it was, explained that I'd never had any such thing, and that they must have the wrong person (all their spiel suggested that they were a company who I'd actually had some connection with). The caller soon got bored and put the phone down, had a couple more which went to voicemail and after that I never heard from them again!

Somebody came through on my mobile with PPI so I answered in Japanese, it was a recorded message where you press a number to speak to somebody, so I spoke to that person - who was completely baffled! Seemed to have stopped them calling and texting.

If you get texts on this you can forward them to your phone company's Spam line, on 02 it is 7726 - they will then investigate the source of the calls and stop them.

Sometimes texting STOP or whatever can cost you money.

• 1 month later...

My daughter (7.5) has a Teddyfone and it rang just now with a similar call. I explained that as she is 7.5 it is unlikely that she has had a credit card in the past!

They are clearly using automated dialing techniques.

They refused to give me their limited company name.

My sister hands her phone to my great nephew who is just learning to talk, and they get quite frustrated.

Them... Can we talk to x

Great Nephew (GN), hiya, ta, hiya

Them... Can we talk to x

GN - repeats same words again

Them.... wrong number (polite phrase).

• 3 weeks later...

I've had the same calls - every day for weeks now. I have an answering machine that picks up their messages but today I was at home and answered, pressing 5 to speak to someone. They asked my name - I refused to give it without them giving me theirs (other than 'James') and their address. At which point James hung up.

I hope to God that pressing '5' doesn't result in a high cost charge. I did fear that, but surely that is illegal without informing the respondent that they will be responsible for a premium call charge?

I'll check the bill in due course. Hopefully it will now stop them calling me. (Naive perhaps...) Both my telephone lines at home (one domestic, one business) are registered with the TPS but a fat lot of good it does these days. Minutes after this one I got another on the domestic line from 'Evolution Legal' who wanted to talk to me about an accident I had. Allegedly. Time wasting bottom-feeding low-lifes that they are....

• 4 weeks later...

I have had similar experiences so I tracked their number to:01158712827 which gave an opt out option.

Also it may be worth registering a complaint here: wwwDOTconsumersDOTofcomDOTorgDOTuk//2012/10/tackling-nuisance-calls-and-messages/ (I'm new to the forum so I can't post the link so maybe another poster will oblige)

There is a very quick form to complete and the more people who complain the quicker it'll get them shut down

• 2 weeks later...

I keep receiving calls on my work landline in the office from 0843 2890055 or 08432890053

Its an automated message that bangs on about PPI.

I find it completely unacceptable that this company is calling me on my works number. A number that is run by my company and is for business calls only. The only person outside my business network that has this number is my mother for emergency contact purposes.

I am getting absolutely sick of these calls. And when I try to press 9 to remove myself from their call list (that I shouldnt be on in the first place), it tells me I cant use that option from my line.

Does anyone know the name of this company so I can try and start some form of complaint?

Edited by debzyg
missed a line out

• 1 month later...