British Gas forcing me to prepayment meter, can I stop it?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6100 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Okay.. brief background.

I switched both electricity and gas through BG around 3 yrs ago and whilst I paid the electricity, I left the gas bill running a little longer than what I should have. I left it mainly, because they were charging me around £60 per qtr which was very handy.

So... They eventually came out (at my request) and read my meters and of course the bill was understated, but unfortunately it was around £800. Now.. I setup a plan for £100 per month, but unfotunately I didnt setup a DD and classically bad with money I didnt pay it. So now they are demanding I either pay the bill in full (Which I am unable to do) or go onto a prepayment meter and pay £15 per week + usage.

Dont get me wrong, it was all my own fault for getting like this, but I really want to avoid a prepayment meter. They dont really seem that bad an idea, but ive heard of some of the problems they can have and its also bad the way you cant top up online or over the phone by debit card. We have 3 young children and sometimes its difficult to get to the places you can top up.

So, my question is.. can I do anything to stop the action? Can I force them to re-set up a payment plan? I am prepared to pay £150 per month, so surely that would more than cover my usage.

Any suggestions appreciated:)

Whether BG will set up another payment plan will depend upon their credit management policies.

From BG viewpoint, you have failed to pay a bill on time and have a failed payment arrangement already on the account so it may be unlikely that they will be willing to set up another arrangement, however BG may be prepared to do this if you set up the £150 per month on direct debit.

If BG are not prepared to set up another arrangement then your only choices are pay in full or have a quantum meter (prepayment) fitted.

From my experience on the other end of a phone, these meters have a tendancy to fail. The most common failure being the meter accepting the payment on the card but not actually crediting it to the meter, this also tends to happen at the weekend :(

The only course of action you can follow at the moment is to try and persuade BG to set up a direct debit for £150 per month.

The advice I give in relation to benefits should be viewed as general advice and not specific to your individual claim circumstances. I cannot give specific advice on your claim as I cannot access the claim.

If you find the advice useful please click on my scales.

If they still say no then point out to them you are willing to pay off the debt at 150 a month, now if they fit a prepayment meter you will by law only have to pay the minimum collection rate of 3 pounds a week. This is a differance of 138 pounds a month.

If you prove to them your on benifit the min collection rate for debt is 3 pound.

Installspark - Thats exactly why I dont want one.. it needs to be reliable. I really dont mind the idea in theory.. I would always know what I was spending and would probably be more pro active about saving energy.

Ozzywizard-Not on benefits, but im sure I could bring up a budget plan to get them to change to £3 per week, but I would rather go back and setup a DD.

As I said, I know its my own stupid fault, but I really wish I had setup a direct debit so the money just went from my account rather than me having to remember to pay.

£150 per month would be fine too.. just need to persuade them I guess. Does anyone know of a department that has enough throw to change the system?? That way I could have a crack at asking them.

Department would be collections, best angle is to point out to them they can only legally take 3 pound a week if you was on benifits but you are offering way over that amount. Good luck and let us know how you get on with it.

It really does depend on how far in the process they are like if trhey have applied for a warrant yet etc.

Who owns your meter, Nat grid or an IGT (Independant gas transporter) if an IGT they cannot fit a prepayment meter as they do not have their own engineers to maintain it. Kinda a long shot but worth checking.

They havent got a warrant or anything like that.. its at the "intended legal action" which theyve given me til the 16th October.

I must be on Nat grid.. im in a fairly built up area so I expect I am.

Yeah you probably are, just good to check as it might be a way out. Way to check :

your home will have a unique MPR number (Meter point reference number).

check your meter or bills IGT MPR numbers should start with 73, 74, 75, 76 and 90. All other MPR numbers will be transported by National Grid.

• 7 months later...

I am really trying to sort out my rather large Elec and Gas bills recently, but cant phone til the evenings. Once I do get a chance, theres always a massive wait, and because its an 0870 number, its out of my free calls allowance with telewest!!

Ive tried the "say no to 0870" telephone number alternative, but you cant tell if youve reached the right line cos it just keeps ringing.

Im so tired of being ripped off by these companies using 08 numbers, and also with the telecoms companies not having a tarriff where you get them inclusive with your calls!

Rant over,, :mad:

• 2 weeks later...

I found this number a while ago, 0113 338 1022. It gets you through to BGAS and they've sorted my queries in the past.

I only have a mobile so I use this number to ensure that it is included in my free minutes.

Ive tried the "say no to 0870" telephone number alternative, but you cant tell if youve reached the right line cos it just keeps ringing.

That is because direct numbers to BG don't usually go through the IVR.

• 1 month later...

Im with BG, not the best company in the world but hey ho.

Ive had a gas meter for a few months, rarely spend above £5 per week (although in the winter time I may be moaning!!). Anyway, im happy with it because i find I actually am carefull on my usage because.. strange huh.

So, the bill is mounting on the electric, and whilst I can simply afford to just pay the bill and carry on, im tempted to switch to a meter. It may help me to save money, but im curious to know if anyone had any hassles with their electricity meters?

Every utillity company will make you pay MORE for being on a prepayment meter Evey company without exception.

If your happy paying 25 - 30% more per Kw then who can complain.

Personally I sat there with a tarrif sheet from every uk distributor and worked out who was the cheapest and how,, then I got my prepayment meter removed and my electricity bill has deacreased from £15 a week Down to a £33 per month dd and I have a credit with my supplier.