Advice needed: 7 year old council deposit loan debt

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4452 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have just received a message from my local council, who are my landlords.

They claim that there is some money still outstanding on a rent deposit loan on a private property I lived in over 7 years ago.

I went straight to a council flat after leaving this house, so the council have always had my address and phone number over the 7 years or so

but they have failed to contact me at all regarding this debt.

They say they will not transfer me to a new property until it's paid off.

The lettings agency branch I went through has since closed down, although they do have other branches still open.

I have emailed them but I doubt they can help as it's been so long.

What I need to know is can they enforce this debt despite not informing me about it in the past 7 years even though they had the means to contact me?

Thanks for any help

Hi

When you moved from the Private Property that you had a Rent Deposit Loan from the local council for, did you write and inform the local council department dealing with this account and inform them that your were moving on such a date from that property to the council flat.

It may seem rational that as it was a council flat you were in for 7yrs the council had your contact details but it does not work like that as it is your responsibilty to inform the council department dealing with the loan that you are moving from X to Y.

How to Upload Documents/Images on CAG - **INSTRUCTIONS CLICK HERE**

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Hi

Did you actually inform that department in writing?

How to Upload Documents/Images on CAG - **INSTRUCTIONS CLICK HERE**

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group