Back Dated Council Tax

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4432 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi guys, I've used this forum to great success in the past and hopefully you guys can help me out again.

I received a letter yesterday with a Council tax bill for £1300 that is supposed to be paid within 14 days.

It's from last year and possibly foolishly I didn't even bother to look into paying council tax last year as I would not of been able to make the payments anyway.

My total income for the last tax year at this property was £7000 (in Newcastle, Upon Tyne), I was barely scrapping by never mind paying over £100 extra a month in council tax payments.

I now have a new address (in Northern Ireland so no council tax) and a new job which unfortunately pays even less (£5000 per year) so even paying it back in installments isn't really an option.

What options are open to me?

My main gripe is that if I had signed on and not bothered to work I wouldn't be in this situation, I'd like to settle the debt but went it's a choice between roof/food and an old Council tax bill the first is always going to win.

Thanks guys in advance for your help.

Peter.

Apologies if this isn't in the right area of the forum.

def get it sorted

ctax is enforceable through courts

not got the liability order mentioned yet then?

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

jointy?

so there are other parties?

dx

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

well the pair of you need to get something sorted pretty quick as you'll havebailiffs knocking before long

if you leave it.

dx

and they

Ok, took your advice and contacted Newcastle Council to arrange to pay by installments.

Pretty shocked that they refused and said they will only give me another 14 days to pay the full amount after which I will receive a court summons.

I was always of the understanding that if I offered a reasonable payment solution and they refused it whenever it went to court it would be thrown out. Is this the case?

My plan now is to send a recorded letter with my income and expenditure detailed along with a fair and affordable amount to pay back in installments. Surely if they refuse this and then take me to court as long as I have records of my offer and can prove it was the most I could pay I will have the upper hand?

Thanks again, Peter.

Ok, took your advice and contacted Newcastle Council to arrange to pay by installments.

Pretty shocked that they refused and said they will only give me another 14 days to pay the full amount after which I will receive a court summons.

I was always of the understanding that if I offered a reasonable payment solution and they refused it whenever it went to court it would be thrown out. Is this the case? No

My plan now is to send a recorded letter with my income and expenditure detailed along with a fair and affordable amount to pay back in installments. Surely if they refuse this and then take me to court as long as I have records of my offer and can prove it was the most I could pay I will have the upper hand? Unfortunately not

Thanks again, Peter.

They are giving you a chance before they go to Court to obtain a Liability Order against you. They do this so that if you fail to pay as promised they can take enforcement action against you immediately. You must also remember that they will add extra costs to what you owe, as this only costs them less than £5 and they may charge up to £150 to do this it is another income stream for them. If they then pass it to Bailiffs then this will incur yet more costs. They can chase either one of you or both, they don't care as long as they get what is owing and please be aware they ca n make just one of you pay the whole lot not just the half you think you may owe.

PT

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

So basically if I can't come up with the entire amount before the deadline I will end up in court and have bailiffs after me?

Is there no way I can arrange to pay by installments now? Surely if I present my income/outgoings on court I could arrange to pay in installments there?

you wont be allowed in

its just a rubber stamp LO

just start paying

by internet banking

they cant refuse it

dx

and they

You can go to the Court if you wish but the only thing they are interested in is are you liable for the monies or not - it's a simple yes or no only. These are done on a bulk basis and there could be several hundred cases listed.

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]