Council Liability orders

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4458 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Morning all bit confuse at the moment......... OK

Last September (2011) i was summonsed to court for non payment of council tax £1202.85 with the normal court costs added on after bailiff attendance it was handed back to the council and i made payment of £50 per month towards it reducing what is owed.

With having little or no work as self employed payments have stopped, I have revived a letter from the council COUNCIL TAX FINAL REMINDER If payment in full is not received, as requested, the following legal action will be taken

You will be summonsed to appear at the magistrates court and charged costs of £40

The council will apply for a liability order and additional costs of £50

I am unable to pay the full amount by this date so they going to take me to court for the second time for the same debt.

Can the council get 2 liability orders for the same tax year??

or are they trying it on

(this is for the period 1 April 2010 to 31 march 2011 of £618.36 balance as now)

Thanks in advance for your help x

There can be more than 1 liability order for the year (they cant cover the same balance though)

For example

At the start of the year your due to pay £1000 less single person discount of £250.00 , so £750.00 .

You dont pay the £750 so they get a Liability Order.

Later in the year they remove single person discount so your billed for £250.00

You dont pay the £250.00 so they get a 2nd Liability Order as the balance was covered in the 1st Order.

What it sounds like in your case though is that Septembers Liability Order was for this year (2011/12) and the new application is for a balance which has become due for 2010/11. The council are the only ones who can confirm the periods of each order and the reason why they are applyin for the Liability Order.

Thank you for the reply

I will write to the council and get a breakdown the last time i phoned them the lovely lady on the phone told me i will go to prison!!

not sure how she worked that out as would need to go back to court for that to happen which has not happened....yet