Council TAX owing through Council Fault - HELP PLEASE QUICK

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4438 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hy everyone

Can someone please tell me what to do im worried sick and dont know what to do. I moved home in July 2011 and moved Councils. I rang up the Council I was with and gave them over 1 months notice that I was moving out and again when I moved I rang and told them I was moving out on that day and they again said they would send a final bill to my new address if there was anything owing, which they doubted looking on the system !!

I moved out and into my new address within a new Council and started to pay my council tax to the new Council and didnt hear anything from the old Council, then with everything that was going on, it totally went out of my head, until a couple of weeks before Christmas when i got a demand from the first council to say i owed £306 and it was going to court. I rang the Council and the woman I spoke with was very harsh and said it was going to court unless i paid it in full on that day over the phone and I would get charges on top and that I would end up with bailiffs calling at my new address to take goods to the value.

I made a complaint to the chief exec and the head of customer service rang me just before Christmas to apologise and to say she would hold a full investigation. She passed me through to head of collections to arrange a payment plan.

This was difficult because i am an admin worker for the nhs and dont get a high wage (band 3) and i am about to lose my job with a restructure, looking like i am going to be downgraded to a band 2 if i can find a band 2 job to take.

Anyway i agreed to pay £50 on 5th Jan and £50 on 5th Feb via DD and then to ring the woman and tell her if i was redundant and pay the remaining with my redundancy pay. As I have not been made redundant and dont know for sure yet what is happening, I am married and my husband is not working - it costs me £35 a week in petrol just to get to work - i am struggling.

I paid the £50 in January but if I leave the DD set up I will go over my overdraft limit and need to cancel it to stop it coming out. The woman told me originally if i didnt pay any of the agreed payments there was no alternative but to go to court.

What do you think I should do. I could borrow £20 to pay that over the phone and cancel the dd and then set up a new dd for £20 a month but i dont think she will accept that. I really dont want to be taken to court for this when i dont feel it was my fault in the first place.

HELP PLEASE

You need to establish a few facts first.

Contact the Council again and ask them for what period of time are they asking the money for - wouldn't be the first Council who are still charging for a period of time after you have moved. You should also ask what dates & what payments you have so far paid - this should go back to April last year.

PT

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I have got the dates and payments I have paid because I paid through DD through my bank and they say that the outstanding money is up to the date in July that I moved out of the property. I now have £256 outstanding. I have cancelled the dd for Monday as it will give me bank charges if it trys to come out.

Ive just rung the head of customer service and she thanked me for letting her know i couldnt pay this on Monday and she has given me the number for payments and asked me to contact them and set up another payment plan which is going to be better for me to pay... I reckon i could manage £20 per month at a pinch. Do you think they are going to accept this as its going to take forever to pay this off... and last time i spoke they were talking about it going passed the financial year end......

I have got the dates and payments I have paid because I paid through DD through my bank and they say that the outstanding money is up to the date in July that I moved out of the property. I now have £256 outstanding. I have cancelled the dd for Monday as it will give me bank charges if it trys to come out.

Ive just rung the head of customer service and she thanked me for letting her know i couldnt pay this on Monday and she has given me the number for payments and asked me to contact them and set up another payment plan which is going to be better for me to pay... I reckon i could manage £20 per month at a pinch. Do you think they are going to accept this as its going to take forever to pay this off... and last time i spoke they were talking about it going passed the financial year end......

Your CT is based on paying over 10 months usually. For example if your CT was £1200 then you would pay 10 x £120 which is the equivalent of 12 months at £100, if you therefore moved after 3 months then you would be due a refund of £60. I therefore find it hard to see how if you were paying by DD that they don't actually owe you!

PT

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]