Council Drain Repair Bill

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4465 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Firstly I came across this forum by using search terms relevant to my problem, it seems to be the best of its kind in the consumer field.

My problem: I have received a bill from the council for £3225.00. This relates to a drain repair out in the street beyond my boundary.

I was aware some Months ago of them working in the street as it (minor residential street) was closed for a few days whilst they investigated subsidence in the roadway.

The demand for payment is accompanied by some photo's of a broken pipe deep in the ground and what looks like a clear repair to this pipe. The paperwork also breaks down the charges and includes a 10% inspection and administration fee levied by the council.

I do not dispute ownership of the drain as I am aware that previous owners of the property used it to drain away the basement facilities. As the drain was never very efficient we installed a saniflow system and re-routed the drainage. In effect from our point of view this drain was redundant.

I also understand that as the repair was previous to October 2011 I probably have liability to pay this (the rules seem to have changed regarding private drains at this time).

My question is should the council have issued a statutory notice under Section 59 of the Buildings act informing me this work was needed and therefore allowing me the opportunity to instruct a drainage repair? I have done a web search and it talks about appeals and things which clearly I have been denied.

The accompanying letter emphasises the need for urgent action to re-open the road even though it is only a minor residential street.

Money is being demanded from me without me having made an instruction verbal, written or otherwise, I would be looking to try and negotiate this bill down certainly the 10% levy they have put on simply for drawing it up.

Has anyone any experience of this sort of behaviour by a local authority? Do I have any prospect of being able to negotiate with them?