• Tweets

• Hi Lolerz Thanks for replying to me, yes I've been ignoring her & will continue to do so. All she keeps saying is they want to come up with an amicable settlement. Keeps saying this to our receptionist she shouldn't be saying this to a receptionist or even me in the first place as they have given no proof of anything no IP addresses noting just keeps saying about an amicable settlement.
    • If a DCA supplies a reconstituted copy of the CCA what would be the next step? It seems that a reconstituted copy must be a " true copy " of the executed agreement, it must contain the Prescribed Terms. But given that there is no copy of the applicants signature surely it could be an agreement form with the details filled in. How can it be assumed that this " copy " represents a true copy that the claimant has supposed to have signed. Cabot have demonstrated a bit of sabre rattling when they say "Until we're able to provide this information , your account is unenforceable. This means we're not permitted to obtain a County Court judgement against you . Whilst we cannot pursue legal action, your balance remains outstanding ". I looked up a case... Cabot UK Ltd  v  Bachellier (2010) which might help, but it's tough reading, I'd prefer to plough through War and Peace. This particular case with Cabot is not huge , approx' £140, but the only other worry that I have is also with Cabot...£2100. They may try to make a point with lesser case.
    • you'll never find a court open on a w/end MB. all courts are closed Good Friday and Bank Holiday Monday. However as Andy points out, that does NOT mean you get 2 extra days to file, you get one, same as xmas/new Year. UKPC have not filed their, so no rush on yours as dave says.  
    • Top US magazine slams Britain after 14 years of Tory ‘psychodrama’ The New Yorker’s excoriating report on the state of the UK lays bare how Britain’s withdrawal from the European Union (EU) “catalysed some of the worst tendencies in British politics”. “The only way to think about it is as a psychodrama enacted, for the most part, by a small group of middle-aged men who went to élite private schools, studied at the University of Oxford, and have been climbing and chucking one another off the ladder of British public life" Top US magazine slams Britain after 14 years of Tory ‘psychodrama’ WWW.INDEPENDENT.CO.UK The New Yorker’s excoriating report on the state of the UK lays bare how Britain’s withdrawal from the European Union (EU) “catalysed...  
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

MBNA PPI - partial payout.....

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3510 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I’m having some issues with MBNA. Let me give you the rundown:

October 10 2011 – I submit my PPI questionnaire to MBNA.

October 17 2011 – They send me back the standard acknowledgement letter “we've received your letter etc. etc. etc. “

October 31 2011 – I receive their first rejection letter.

November 4 2011 – I send an email to the CEO pointing out a couple of further issues and they agree to look into the complaint again.

November 15 2011 – They write back to me rejecting my complaint again, but stating that if I could give them further information they might reconsider the complaint.

January 12 2012 – I send them this information. This is where the problem begins.

I applied for the card in Feburary 2006, via an online application. I was returning to University (full-time) in September 2006, and subsequently would have had no need for PPI. MBNA have replied stating that they will refund the PPI, but only from September 2006 -September 2007. Surely this is not right. Shouldn't they be refunding the PPI for the entire length of the card? (It is still open, but my account facility has been withdrawn)

Basically what I’m asking is what my next move should be. Should I go to the FOS, given that they have essentially admitted I was missold? Or do I need to speak to them again directly?

Thanks in advance!

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, they should be refunding the total amount of premiums paid plus interest.

You might want to wait for further input from ims21 and/or dx100uk

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Hi

Have you got all of your statements?

If not SAR the lender to get them.

Template for SAR is in the CAG library, the link to which is at the top of every CAG page in green. From the information that comes back you should be able to work out what they should be paying you back.

If you do have all of your statements then we can get underway without the SAR.

ims

Hi

Have you got all of your statements?

If not SAR the lender to get them.

Happily I did SAR them......they sent me a breakdown of all my transactions in a not that easy to read format.

It does have every PPI payment I've made however, so maybe we can go from there.

Ok

Last question...this transaction history....does it show opening balance and closing balance? What I mean is that they may not be copy statement but do they broadly conform to the template of a statement?

ims

Ok

Last question...this transaction history....does it show opening balance and closing balance? What I mean is that they may not be copy statement but do they broadly conform to the template of a statement?

ims

It doesn't show an opening/closing balance, just every transaction from the opening of the account until November 7 2011 (i.e. the date of the SAR). I have some statements but none before 2009.

hope that helps.........

Ok thanks.

Sadly it is going to be very difficult to reconstruct the account yourself using a template spreadsheet because the regulatory method of calculating redress relies on monthly charging periods and requires us to know the opening and closing balances on a statement.

However, we could challenge them in another way to see what is going on.

They say they are prepared to refund from Sept 2006 to Sept 2007.

Your transaction history coupled with statements will almost certainly cover periods outside those two dates.

Go through the statements and transaction history and make a list of all ppi premiums paid outside the period they are offering the refund for. Total that resultant list.

Write back to them and acknowledge that they are prepared to make a refund and ask them to explain fully why they are not prepared to take into account the premiums paid either side of the dates they mention. Tell them that you enclose a spreadsheet of the charges they have apparently chosen not to take into account and that you require an explanation.

See what they come back with.

Can you give an idea of the size of the claim please?

ims

What was your situation at the time you applied for the card in February 2006? Did you tell them then that you were entering full time education in September 2006? It is your situation at the time of the sale that matters, not what happens afterwards, that's not their problem. If you were in full-time employment, for instance, when you knowingly took out the PPI and there was no other reason for complaint about the sale at that time then technically it's not a mis-sale. Alternatively if you let them know at any point that you were becoming or had become a full-time student in September 2006 and they mis-informed you that your PPI would still cover you while you were in full-time education then they would be at fault.

I've been going through something similar with a friend's complaint. She was employed when she took out the card (on-line application) but became self-employed a year later. According to both the card company and the FOS, no mis-sale on that basis and no refund. The only thing in her favour was that the card company had failed to provide any policy documents (which they deny) and therefore she wasn't aware that she wasn't covered under their self-employment exclusions when she switched to being self-employed. After a lot of letters she's been offered a good will payment by the card. The FOS have suggested over the phone that she might want to accept the offer rather than take the case to them as they said they would still have to base their decision solely on the time of the sale (when she was employed) so realistically would be unlikely to uphold it - and the card company can just withdraw their goodwill offer at any time.

Do as ims21 says and find out exactly why they're offering you a refund for that period of time, they seem to basing their refund on the time you became a student - if this is effectively a goodwill offer then at least try and get them to cover the whole period of time you were a student, presuming it was longer than one year. If there was any other reason why you believe you were mis-sold the policy specifically at the time of the sale or they refused to let you cancel the policy at any time or gave you incorrect information at a later date knowing your circumstances had changed then fight them for the lot.

Score Card

For myself, family and friends......

WIN! MBNA - £8,000 CC PPI + 3 months interest for delayed refund

WIN! RBS - £1,400 CC PPI + 4 months interest added for delayed refund (via FOS)

WIN! RBS - £150 BC (via FOS)

WIN! Creation - £575 Store card PPI + 3 months interest for delayed refund

WIN! Creation - £120 BC

WIN! Ikano - £795 Store Card PPI

WIN! CapitalOne - £1700 CC PPI

WIN! CapitalOne - £110 BC

WIN! HSBC - £2,850 CC PPI

WIN! RBS/MINT - £1,900 - CC PPI

WIN! Halifax - BC - £102

WIN! Barclaycard - £130 BC

Awaiting offer HSBC - MPPI (via FOS)

Awaiting final response Barclaycard - CC PPI

Awaiting final response Morgan Stanley - CC PPI

SAR sent HSBC - CC PPI + Loan PPI

SAR sent GE Money - Store Card PPI - not holding out much hope as very old account

Ok thanks.

Sadly it is going to be very difficult to reconstruct the account yourself using a template spreadsheet because the regulatory method of calculating redress relies on monthly charging periods and requires us to know the opening and closing balances on a statement.

However, we could challenge them in another way to see what is going on.

They say they are prepared to refund from Sept 2006 to Sept 2007.

Your transaction history coupled with statements will almost certainly cover periods outside those two dates.

Go through the statements and transaction history and make a list of all ppi premiums paid outside the period they are offering the refund for. Total that resultant list.

Write back to them and acknowledge that they are prepared to make a refund and ask them to explain fully why they are not prepared to take into account the premiums paid either side of the dates they mention. Tell them that you enclose a spreadsheet of the charges they have apparently chosen not to take into account and that you require an explanation.

See what they come back with.

Can you give an idea of the size of the claim please?

ims

Hi, excuse the delay, I've been searching for any statements I have left, but sadly the only ones I have are from December '09 - April '10, when my account was in default.

To day the amount of premiums that I've paid are £1932.09

What was your situation at the time you applied for the card in February 2006? Did you tell them then that you were entering full time education in September 2006? It is your situation at the time of the sale that matters, not what happens afterwards, that's not their problem. If you were in full-time employment, for instance, when you knowingly took out the PPI and there was no other reason for complaint about the sale at that time then technically it's not a mis-sale. Alternatively if you let them know at any point that you were becoming or had become a full-time student in September 2006 and they mis-informed you that your PPI would still cover you while you were in full-time education then they would be at fault.

I agree. The issue here is that MBNA pre-ticked the PPI box (so it was an opt-out rather than an opt-in) which is a no-no as far as the FOS is concerned. As far as I am aware (and am trying to find out via their Demands and Needs questionnaire from February 2006, which they seem to be reticent to produce a copy) MBNA were also strongly recommending that customers take out PPI in their literature.They changed this in 2009 from what I know to cover themselves

Can I ask what Bank your friends' complaint is going through?

Barclaycard for my friend.

Pre-ticked box you say! Go after them for the lot then. You may have to rely on the FOS to uphold it though.

I'd still be interested to know why they've offered a refund of that one specific year. I'd ask for a justification of their offer, they've made things a bit over-complicated for themselves by being so specific rather than just going for a random goodwill offer to try and make you go away. Personally I'd also give the FOS a call at this stage and ask them their thoughts - don't lodge an official complaint with them, just have a chat.

Score Card

WIN! Creation - £120 BC

WIN! Halifax - BC - £102

SAR sent GE Money - Store Card PPI - not holding out much hope as very old account

I'd still be interested to know why they've offered a refund of that one specific year. I'd ask for a justification of their offer, they've made things a bit over-complicated for themselves by being so specific rather than just going for a random goodwill offer to try and make you go away. Personally I'd also give the FOS a call at this stage and ask them their thoughts - don't lodge an official complaint with them, just have a chat.

Spoke to the FOS today......lady on the 'phone basically said the same things as you (i.e. only refunding one years' premiums + interest is strange since they're essentially admitting the policy is mis-sold , get back to MBNA and if no joy then lodge a complaint).

The next step is to email MBNA tomorrow. Beyond asking them why they've come to their decision how should I word my request for all my premiums (+ interest) to be refunded?

x

As tedious as it may be, is it worth my time adding up all the transactions month by month and reconstructing the premiums that way? And then completing one of the spreadsheets available?

Well its up to you of course.

For me, I'd want to form a strong argument and if you can do some figurework it just helps cement the logic behind any case you want to put to them.

ims

OK I've totalled it up and got a rough figure. (about £6.3k). Should I mention that I've spoken to the FOS or would that be detrimental and I should leave that out?

OK I've totalled it up and got a rough figure. (about £6.3k). Should I mention that I've spoken to the FOS or would that be detrimental and I should leave that out?

No reason why you can't mention your conversation with fos

ims

UPDATE:

MBNA still not budging on full payout - now it's time to deal with the FOS.

Would it make any difference if I accepted the cheque they are going to send, or should I leave it aside until I have finished dealing with the FOS? i.e. would acceptance of the cheque constitute acceptance of MBNA's final decision?

I was advised by the FOS not to bank a cheque (still in dispute) in case it was considered an acceptance of the refund as full and final settlement - just to be on the safe side. It seems to be a bit of a grey area. I tried to get the bank to send me a letter saying that if I did bank it they understood it was on the understanding the matter was still on-going but they wouldn't, they said they would 'take it in to consideration'. Sit on the cheque.

Score Card

WIN! Creation - £120 BC

WIN! Halifax - BC - £102

• 4 weeks later...

Now I have another issue - not related to MBNA this time........

I'm about to file a complaint with the FOS over a PPI claim with Barclaycard. I have the forms etc. The problem I have is that I SAR'ed them in January and have heard nothing back from them (over 50 days now!). The cheque has also not been cashed, and I know they definitely received the package as it was signed for. Should I send the forms to the FOS and make a note that my SAR is overdue to them, and that further information might be forthcoming? Also should I send a letter before action to Barclaycard?

Now I have another issue - not related to MBNA this time........

I'm about to file a complaint with the FOS over a PPI claim with Barclaycard. I have the forms etc. The problem I have is that I SAR'ed them in January and have heard nothing back from them (over 50 days now!). The cheque has also not been cashed, and I know they definitely received the package as it was signed for. Should I send the forms to the FOS and make a note that my SAR is overdue to them, and that further information might be forthcoming? Also should I send a letter before action to Barclaycard?

As regards the SAR, if they have not complied and you want to get your data then an LBA is the next step.

As regards the PPI claim, have BC given you their final response?

ims

• 1 year later...

Hi guys,

Firstly I would like to say thank you for all your help, if I haven't done so already.

It's been almost 2 years since we last spoke........now finally the FOS want to talk.

They (or to be exact, their adjudicator) emailed me today about my complaint, asking for information about my employment status over the life of the policy.

Beyond the obvious what could this mean?

Hi again

Good that they want to talk but of it were me I would want to have any discussion in writing, even with fos.

Bear in mind that of you deal on the phone you may say something that you have not had time to consider and may shoot yourself in the foot (for want of a better expression).

You are entitled to ask the adjudicator to put their questions in writing.

Actually they did email me, as the number I gave them originally no longer works. So anything I want to say will be in writing.

It might be better if someone here could have a look at what they wrote to me, so I can formulate my response properly.