style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4452 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

In April last year I was in the CAB over a bank issue. While I was there the CAB officer checked my council tax was okay. The council tax said I was due a £543 refund I said that is incorrect, the CAB passed on my reservation. I am on DLA the council tax at the time was covered by benefit, my ex had moved out in the previous November, up to then our council tax was upto date. I spoke at least twice to the council tax office to say this refund was incorrect. I asked for a detailed document to explain the refund, I received a document but it was not detailed and it did not explain the refund. I said my ex had paid the council tax I did not want the cheque in my name because it was her money, I would have to transfer it anyway and I knew this was an error and did not want the cheque in my name, they refused. My ex called them to say we had paid the council tax upto date and this was an error, they convinced my ex it was fine so I finally cashed the cheque and transfered it to my ex.

Fast forward August 2011, I have £543 arrears on my account. I argued I do not have arrears, it was covered by benefit and before that we were completely upto date. Court papers came, they kept insisting it was arrears until I asked for copies of the end of year statements. Then they lied and said we were paying single person discount when I was with my ex, I said I have the bank statements to prove we were paying the full amount. Eventually by December, they admitted it was an error they had made with the previous refund, finally I found out what the refund was for they applied a backdated single person discount for three years when I was with my ex. Now they want it all back. I argue that they should take some of the liability as I kept telling them the refund was incorrect. Does anybody know if I have any legal rights in this situation?

Also we never made any application for single person benefit so they decided backdately apply this without telling us what it was and continue even when they were told by three different people that this was an error.