council tax liability

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4458 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I rented a flat to two students. They had individual leases as they didn't move in at the same time. They didn't register for council tax exemption. They have left flat nearly two years ago and now I'm being told by Glasgow Council that I have to pay the council tax.if the lads gave proof that they were students all would be cleared up but I don't know where they are or if they would help. Any ideas? It's in Scotland

Hi eilidh123

Typical Glasgow City Council.

Are you registered with Glasgow City Council as From 1 May 2006, as part of a Scotland-wide scheme, all private landlords with properties in Glasgow and their agents must be registered with Glasgow City Council, along with details of the properties they let. The aim of registration is to set minimum standards for the sector and remove the worst landlords. The scheme will provide valuable information on private landlords across the City, including a public register which anyone may use to contact a landlord.

Does the lease signed by the two individuals state at all that council tax is there responsibility?

I would also collate copies of both leases with the rents payments during the lease periods.

How to Upload Documents/Images on CAG - **INSTRUCTIONS CLICK HERE**

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Hi. Everything was done right. Iam registered. The tenancy agreements state that Council tax etc due by tenants. I sent in my bank statements to Glasgow council clearly showing that they were paying in the rents. The Council say they won't chase the tenants because it wasn't a joint lease. This is what seems crazy. I just don't know where to turn.

I sent in my bank statements to Glasgow council clearly showing that they were paying in the rents. The Council say they won't chase the tenants because it wasn't a joint lease

It sounds like they are treating the property as a council tax HMO which means the landlord is liable for any council tax due and is responsible for ensuring any discounts/exemptions are claimed.

If the property meets the criteria for a Council Tax HMO then nothing else you put in the tenancy agreement can override this and pass liability to the occupiers.

Hi, that's what I thought they are meaning re HMO BUT the flat is not registered for multiple occupancy and there were never more than 2 people sharing it. It's just an ordinary 2 bedroom flat that had two students staying there with their own leases.

I've been to the CAB today . I don't know where else to turn as GCC are talking about council tax for a lot of money.