Council Tax after Eviction

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4461 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello, Stephen here, my mom got a letter today from B'Ham Council about an outstanding balance of £1600 for 27th December 2007 to 11th January 2010, telling her she needs to pay outstanding balance or face Bailiffs.

It also says "If you did not reside at the property for any period of time detailed above, please contact this office without delay to advise, as this will affect your current outstanding liability for CTax at this address".

Funny thing is none was living in there at the time cos Northern Rock repossessed by end of November 2007, and on December 17th 2007 we were living somewhere else via private landlord. What I'm asking is my mom liable for the Ctax still even tho we got evicted lawfully or is someone else liable for it.

Thank you.

Hi stevesil

You need to remember that Council Tax is totally seperate from the eviction and at the time did your mom inform the Local Authority of your change of circumstances?

What your mom need to do is collate all documentation from that period (ie, eviction letters with date of eviction, tenancy agreements(AST) for properties you resided at, any council tax bills) etc.

Also contact the council and ask for a breakdown with dates of the outstanding balance

How to Upload Documents/Images on CAG - **INSTRUCTIONS CLICK HERE**

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Contact the council and send copies of the repossession order which show that you were not resident for the period they are claiming for. They can only hold you liable for debts incurred up to and including the day of eviction/repossession. Hope this helps.